PDA

View Full Version : MMORPG Character Styles?

ShadowTiger
05-11-2006, 12:47 PM
So I'm just getting into the MMORPG scene, apparently. (The FREE one, mind you.) I'm still deciding whether I should be a hack and slash character or an "On the sidelines" character.

I tend to be one of those friendly players that greets you as you pass. I also tend to be a loner, oddly enough, I tend to really stick to the role I'm playing. (Why else play an MMORPG?) I'd either be extremely outgoing and active, or just want to wander off on my own and kill things to level up. Either way, I'd probably want to be levelling up though.

So, now I'm thinking, should I be a fighter class? They usually do pretty well on their own. Thing is, they're far too common. What about a supplementary character though? Lots of parties need people like healers or thieves or mages to do things the fighters can't. You could always try to be a unique class; one rarely chosen, just so people would want to hire you to be in their party. That could be interesting. > >. Of course, that may not be what you wanted. :shrug:

So now I'm considering being a blacksmith, but not a fighting one. Someone who'd sit on the sidelines and make a pretty penny by manufacturing goods. A merchant, possibly. It'd be a relatively low adventure scene, and it'd be pretty pathetic to be begging for customers, or to just stand in one place all day. :sweat: However, it would be rather unique. Isn't that what people would love to try now and then?

Archibaldo
05-11-2006, 05:09 PM
Well, in my experience with RPGs and MMOs, I would say a healer is always a good class to have. Especially in WoW. If you're a priest people will beg you to join them. Or if your like me, evil, chose something like a warlock/necromancer they usually deal with killing by diseases and afflictions. But yeah, support classes are very valuable in MMOs.

BTW, which MMO are you getting into?

Grasshopper
05-11-2006, 09:47 PM
For me, I like the person who can heal himself if he ever needs to. I can't stand having to rely on potions or other people to heal me. I can do it myself. So I prefer the healer. I also like magic, because I prefer having some cool offensive spells to use at long distance instead of up close. So in WoW for instance, I chose to be a priest. After playing a bit, I found out that I was a solo player most of the time, so I had to go shadow and develop my shadow talents so I could solo better.

The problem with healers for me in WoW at least, is that I can easily join a group for dungeons, but I can't easily get people to join me for dungeons. I can always help people, but when I need helped, nobody is there for it. It took forever before I found a group to go with for RFK or RFD in the Barrens, so despite what people told me, I could never find groups.

Personally, if I were to pick, I would go with some class that can fight, but has unique characteristics. Which means that you won't usually have the strongest class but you can still support yourself.

Glenn the Great
05-11-2006, 10:08 PM
I play WoW, and my main is a Level 60 Rogue. I like to play rogue because it's alright for soloing, it is completely focused on doing damage, in dungeons your role is simple and clear (pump damage into a mob while a fighter class tanks it), you can pick locks (this is so cool, because if you are a selfish rogue, the treasure in locked boxes is all yours), you can stealth, allowing you to sneak into enemy territory and surprise attack enemy players as well as vanishing in the middle of a battle if it looks like you will lose. If you play a rogue, your adversaries despise you worse than anyone else in the game, and nothing you do is for the benefit of anyone else (you can't heal anyone or cast helpful buffs on anyone.)

For an anti-social loner like myself, playing rogue is perfect.

Archibaldo
05-12-2006, 02:40 PM
Oh god. I hate rogues. Both playing them and playing agianst them. In WoW, you need to have some pretty Uber Micro to play a rogue right. But with caster's you can pretty much just click on the abilities you want to use and you can hotkey a few. Plus I find its harder to get into a group as a rogue at end game unless its a guild run. Esepecially when there are only 3 spots ever left in a group because the first two are reserved for a priest and a warrior. Then you need a mage for AoE and maybe a druid to off tank or off heal. That leaves on spot for a shaman/paladin, rogue, or warlock.

Trust me, you're better off as a healing class. People always need you. And if you want to solo, considering that you're playing WoW, play a warlock. No down time and the second best class that can solo almost every thing, next to hunters of course.

Glenn the Great
05-12-2006, 03:02 PM
I don't use macros to play my rogue. I have my controls set up as follows:

~: Blinding Powder (stun)
1: Kidney Shot (stun)
2: Toggle Stealth
3: Sinister Strike (physical damage)
4: Eviscerate (massive physical damage; used after 5 sinister strikes)
5: Riposte (I use an addon that makes a whistle blowing sound when it becomes available, it's a disarming attack)
6: Fire Crossbow

What I do when I'm fighting someone is quite simple. I rapidly mash 3, hit 4 when I have 5 combo points, hit 5 when the whistle blows, and if things get bad, I mash ~ and patch myself up with a bandage while they are stunned.

Unlike most people I know, I don't use ASDW to move around. All of my movement happens with the mouse, but I bind E to walking backwards because doing that is often important. I like to keep my fingers on the hotkeys at all times so I can react to things much quicker.

My build is mostly combat with just the essentials from assassination and subtlety. A combat rogue is extremely good in dungeons. Most people play dagger rogues though, and they don't hold up too well in dungeons. It's true that people don't specifically ask for rogues when they try to form groups, but very often a group leader will ask for DPS in general, and a combat rogue is well accepted when that happens.

I'm pretty good with my rogue. I consistently do the most damage out of the party, and I usually don't take too much healing from the priests because I'm good at keeping out of aggro. People say they like having me in the group because battles go much faster when I'm there.

Every once in awhile I clock my DPS (damage per second) against ten level 60 mobs. Last time I checked, my DPS was around 230, which is regarded as insanely high.

SomaLlama
05-12-2006, 04:04 PM
you're playing UO arn't you? fighting classes typically have more fun and pay off in the long run, whereas support ones will get you more well liked i guess, you'll be more wanted but they're usually pretty boring. i don't really know much about UO i sucked at that game so... good luck.

Archibaldo
05-12-2006, 09:31 PM
So Glenn, I assume you're not a PVP rogue? And don't you find it tough to get into the right position for your attacks with only your mouse? I know rogues need micro because all or most of their attacks are positional attacks. I dunno, maybe its just me, but I find it rediculously hard to position myself right with only the mouse, I need to have my W key pushed down so I can look around too.

Glenn the Great
05-12-2006, 09:41 PM
I'm good in both PvP and PvE. I have a different PvP style from most other rogues though. I don't rely on stunlocks. Instead I fight my battles a little more like a Warrior would. I still get the jump on them with a cheap shot though.

As far as position goes, there are of course a few attacks that require you to be behind your opponent, but most of those also require the use of daggers, and I use swords. I don't utilize any positional attacks whatsoever. All of my attacks just require that I'm in melee. I cheap shot you, and then I wail on you with SS and Eviscerate. If I have the cooldowns, I throw up Adrenaline Rush during the cheapshot stun. I'm typically able to overpower anyone I run across. I don't die often in one on one fights.

Archibaldo
05-15-2006, 11:32 AM
God I fucking hate being stunlocked. It was one of the reasons I specced Soul Link (I'm a warlock). If it wern't for that and Deathcoil. I'd be fucked.

*b*
05-15-2006, 12:32 PM
So I'm just getting into the MMORPG scene, apparently. (The FREE one, mind you.) I'm still deciding whether I should be a hack and slash character or an "On the sidelines" character.

I tend to be one of those friendly players that greets you as you pass. I also tend to be a loner, oddly enough, I tend to really stick to the role I'm playing. (Why else play an MMORPG?) I'd either be extremely outgoing and active, or just want to wander off on my own and kill things to level up. Either way, I'd probably want to be levelling up though.

So, now I'm thinking, should I be a fighter class? They usually do pretty well on their own. Thing is, they're far too common. What about a supplementary character though? Lots of parties need people like healers or thieves or mages to do things the fighters can't. You could always try to be a unique class; one rarely chosen, just so people would want to hire you to be in their party. That could be interesting. > >. Of course, that may not be what you wanted. :shrug:

So now I'm considering being a blacksmith, but not a fighting one. Someone who'd sit on the sidelines and make a pretty penny by manufacturing goods. A merchant, possibly. It'd be a relatively low adventure scene, and it'd be pretty pathetic to be begging for customers, or to just stand in one place all day. :sweat: However, it would be rather unique. Isn't that what people would love to try now and then?

it sounds to me like you're talking about Rangarok Online. if that's the case, Blacksmiths are a great class, assuming you have enough healing potions to recover the huge amounts of HP you'd be losing at the later levels. the "best" class is a Paladin, which is the trancended version of Crusader, but only with the right equips. I'd say for levelling in general, the Mage and Wizard/High Wizard classes are the best. raw elemental power, and at level 99, all you need is 99 DEX and INT, which would make you cast extremely powerful spells very quickly

now, as for a "different" class, that would be Alchemist. if levelled up properly, they can dish out huge amounts of damage very quickly, and can use potions to heal themselves for much more than the potions usually heal for. however, there are very few (on the servers I play, anyway), so that could be one of those semi-unique classes

just don't get an Assassin or Crusader for your first class. to be truly powerful, you'd need to know what you're doing, and those classes demand it. plus they're overused. for a first class in RO, I'd say go Wizard or Knight, and maybe Hunter. their skils are pretty straightforward, as are the stats required to make them awesome (Wizards with pure INT and DEX, Knights with high STR, VIT, and DEX, and Hunters with high AGI and DEX)

SomaLlama
05-15-2006, 05:54 PM
God I fucking hate being stunlocked. It was one of the reasons I specced Soul Link (I'm a warlock). If it wern't for that and Deathcoil. I'd be fucked.
is that a warlock complaining about rogues? :x

Archibaldo
05-16-2006, 01:48 PM
is that a warlock complaining about rogues? :x

Don't start up with "the warlocks are over powered". A destruction lock has no chance against a stunlock rogue. Why do you think warlocks specced SL?

SomaLlama
05-17-2006, 05:42 PM
Don't start up with "the warlocks are over powered". A destruction lock has no chance against a stunlock rogue. Why do you think warlocks specced SL?
hahaha, well. with the right gear. and the right amount of skill. warlocks generally whoop rogues pretty good.

Glenn the Great
05-17-2006, 05:47 PM
The class that gives my rogue some serious problems is the Mage. If a Mage attacked me from a distance, it is quite likely I could die before I can manage to get in melee with them. Hunters are problematic too. Ranged attacks are the way to go to take down a rogue.

Breaker
05-17-2006, 06:57 PM
http://madtecra.homestead.com/files/ui2.jpg

Alberich, Hunter > You.

Glitch
05-17-2006, 07:00 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v137/lee_grad2002/UI.jpg

Renmazuo, Hunter > You.

SomaLlama
05-17-2006, 07:04 PM
are those old or something? you guys have more DS now.

Glitch
05-17-2006, 07:07 PM
yeah mine's old. I'll take a new one tonight.

Breaker
05-17-2006, 07:07 PM
I think we pretty much just owned the fuck out of anyone that plays WoW on AGN, Ren.

Glitch
05-17-2006, 07:08 PM
I think we pretty much just owned the fuck out of anyone that plays WoW on AGN, Ren.

Not Luthra. He's got a Tauren Warrior in Stormfist (Bairan).

SomaLlama
05-17-2006, 07:42 PM
rawr!
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j10/AmyKK_5/WoWScrnShot_041706_193814.jpg

Breaker
05-17-2006, 10:45 PM
Not Luthra. He's got a Tauren Warrior in Stormfist (Bairan).

Yeah, and? :P

Archibaldo
05-18-2006, 02:39 PM
What UI Mod(s) are you using Breaker?

Also, Alliance = Nubs

Glenn the Great
05-18-2006, 03:17 PM
Serelia, 60 Rogue
-------------------
http://glenn.hotarubi.net/hyjal.png

Breaker
05-18-2006, 06:23 PM
What UI Mod(s) are you using Breaker?

Also, Alliance = Nubs

It's a custom UI. Discord Action Bars, Unit Frames, CTRaidAssist, TitanPanel, etc.

http://madtecra.homestead.com/files/ui.jpg

There's a screenshot of my normal UI when I'm not raiding.

Glitch
05-19-2006, 03:50 PM
Glenn....post a screenie of your character actually wearing clothes....

Archibaldo
05-19-2006, 11:55 PM
Glenn....post a screenie of your character actually wearing clothes....

But then, you couldn't get off to a video game character :(

Glenn the Great
05-19-2006, 11:57 PM
I just don't want to show them my ghetto gear. Need more epics.

Archibaldo
05-20-2006, 12:09 PM
I just don't want to show them my ghetto gear. Need more epics.

LIES! ALL LIES!