PDA

View Full Version : Stop The Presses! Super Smash Bros Brawl Announced!

jman2050
05-10-2006, 10:26 PM
And guess what? It has Solid Snake as a playable character.

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/707/707504p1.html

Aw crap, didn't realize it had already been posted. Lock if needed.

AlexMax
05-10-2006, 10:54 PM
Voted keep. This is a far more focused thread. Therefore I will copy my other reply to this one.

--- SNIP ---

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/8990/dsc33810ut.jpg

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3118/dsc33829dx.jpg

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/4643/dsc33836ri.jpg

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/29/dsc33896ye.jpg

I seriously giggled for 5 straight minutes. I can not fucking beleive that Snake somehow made it into Smash Brothers, especially considering Sony's relationship with Kojima.

vegeta1215
05-11-2006, 01:13 AM
Yeah... Solid Snake is an odd pick - he'll probably be the least cartoonish of them all. But, I'm sure we will see other companies' characters too if Solid Snake makes it to the final version. Sonic and Pac-Man are likely candidates.

KJAZZ
05-11-2006, 02:05 AM
I also couldn't stop laughing and such when I heard about Snake. And then I saw him in the box.. <_<

All in all though, I think it was an interesting decision to say the least...

ShadowTiger
05-11-2006, 09:13 AM
I literally orgasmed.

Right. All graphic images aside, HOLY F*CKING CRAP. I'm getting a Wii. Oh Gosh Da..df a sfj 4f ... Can't contain my joy. I can't. Someone hold me down.

People. Rest assured. You will ALWAYS have an offer to challenge me at SSBB whenever I get it. I'll be on whenever I can, and I don't care about the cost. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go into a corner and cry huge tears of happiness and fall unconscious. Wake me when SSBB is $40.

goKi
05-11-2006, 09:29 AM
I knew they were going to ruin Smash Bros by turning it into a character fest. I'm very disappointed. It should remain first party nintendo games only.

punkonjunk1024
05-11-2006, 09:29 AM
Shigeru Miyamoto himself has confirmed the following playable characters:

Pit (Kid Icarus)

F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK

I JUST CREAMED. DEAR GOD THAT RULES.

Aegix Drakan
05-11-2006, 09:36 AM
:googly:

w00t! this looks awesome! I gotta find a way to get me a Wii!

AlexMax
05-11-2006, 10:27 AM
I knew they were going to ruin Smash Bros by turning it into a character fest. I'm very disappointed. It should remain first party nintendo games only.

Interesting note, this was Kojima's idea, not Nintendo's. Kojima saw SSB:M and begged Nintendo to put Snake in it, but it was too far along in development. When Nintendo started on Brawl, they decided to contact Kojima. And you have what you see now.

And who knows. Now that the door to third parties is open, that can only mean Sonic and Megaman are also possabilities. And EVERYONE wants Sonic and Megaman in SSB.

A video of the trailer: http://media.revolution.ign.com/media/748/748545/vids_1.html

EDIT: No sources, but Yuji Naka wants Sonic in it as well.

vegeta1215
05-11-2006, 12:28 PM
And who knows. Now that the door to third parties is open, that can only mean Sonic and Megaman are also possabilities. And EVERYONE wants Sonic and Megaman in SSB.

Despite agreeing with goKi that SSB should contain only first party characters, including the characters of other companies is sure to strengthen Nintendo's relationships with those companies. Heck, the additional characters may even attract some people who have never played Smash Bros (if there are any)

ShadowTiger
05-11-2006, 12:37 PM
Indeed. So long as they don't change the core mechanics away from being a sequel to SSBM, and not "something else," I am more than okay with anything they do. If it maintains the same feel of the character under the influence of the controller, and the same physics system, and the same spirit of fighting, wavedashing, shielding, returning to platforms, deciding which attack to use and when, etc, ... ... well, that'll just be a glorious SSB game indeed. :love:

I'm even looking forward to seeing what the new characters can do. I just hope that they've preserved at least MOST of the characters from SSBM, (I don't care what happens to pichu, Dr. Mario, Mewtwo, Game&Watch, Roy, (To some degree. He's okay.) Young Link, and the Ice Climbers.) I'm very curious to see what they're going to do with the Snake in the box thing. It's not like you can just suddenly turn invisible. If that's what happens, .. an insta-invisible thing, then I'm going to go nuts.

(In case you couldn't tell, I'm an SSB# Fanatic.)

Kairyu
05-11-2006, 01:28 PM
I haven't seen the video yet, but from the screenshots... have they added Supers or something? Link's Triforce thingy, Samus's giant freaking laser of doom, Mario's Shinku Hadoken (Wha?).

vegeta1215
05-11-2006, 01:57 PM
Indeed. So long as they don't change the core mechanics away from being a sequel to SSBM, and not "something else," I am more than okay with anything they do.

Nintendo said that SSBB won't use the new controller in a way that would make the game more difficult to play and even hinted that it may be possible to use your Gamecube controller to play SSBB. Sounds good to me.

ShadowTiger
05-11-2006, 02:09 PM
I heard the same thing. I just -really- hope they're not referring to the Wii GCN Controller remake, but my good ol' trusty clear blue controller, able to plug right directly into the Wii itself as if it were a Gamecube. Hopefully it won't need an adapter.

Paranoid. Yes. .. but when something you love so much is compromised, .. .. ..

Heh.

EDIT: JoshSim at Pure linked to This Article (http://etoychest.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4481&Itemid=29). It sheds a tiny sliver of light on the various motivations behind it.

MottZilla
05-11-2006, 02:39 PM
Last I looked the Classic Wii controller basically had all the same buttons and sticks for the most part, but without the annoyingly shaped buttons and such.

vegeta1215
05-11-2006, 02:57 PM
Under the direction of series creator Masahiro Sakurai, Super Smash Bros. Brawl will feature classic, GameCube-style combat -- not Wii-style motion-controlled combat. That means players who prefer to play the game with the traditional control setup can look forward to using the GameCube control-style they're already accustomed to.

"We found that trying to implement too much motion-sensory functionality can get in the way of the game. We're looking at keeping the control simple, as it has been," said Sakurai. "The Wii hardware has sockets for the GameCube controller, too. So I'll just say now that you may not want to throw away your GCN controller yet."

Source: http://revolution.ign.com/articles/707/707504p1.html

I think having differently shaped buttons on the Gamecube controller was one it's best features - it just didn't work for certain games like "regular" fighting games where an arcade-like setup works better. (ie Soul Calibur, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, etc)

Nimono
05-11-2006, 04:02 PM
Neat! I, myself, would like to see a few more Mario characters added to the Super Smash Bros. games, not to mention at least one character from the Sonic games. After all, it seems to me that Super Smash Bros. games have characters from games that are on Nintendo systems.

Archibaldo
05-11-2006, 05:04 PM
Lol, the Nintendog looks like it'll be something like the squid in Mario Kart DS. Where Some one uses it it affects the vision of the other players over the web.

MottZilla
05-12-2006, 12:26 AM
Source: http://revolution.ign.com/articles/707/707504p1.html

I think having differently shaped buttons on the Gamecube controller was one it's best features - it just didn't work for certain games like "regular" fighting games where an arcade-like setup works better. (ie Soul Calibur, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, etc)

And not a single Street Fighter or Capcom arcade game came to gamecube. I wonder why... However maybe Capcom will make a long overdue Nintendo platform release of Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, or better yet offer some of their great arcade titles through Virtual console such as Marvel Vs. Capcom, X-Men Vs. Street Fighter, Marvel Vs. Street Fighter, Darkstalkers, Super Street Fighter 2, Strider 2, etc.

Though not Capcom, the arcade developer SNK apparently has announced Metal Slug Anthology for Nintendo Wii. =) Now if we can get them to release Garou Mark of the Wolves, King of Fighters 98' and King of Fighter 99' for Wii, I'll be quite happy. While we are at it, true arcade versions of Mortal Kombat and Killer Instinct would be awesome.

Nicholas Steel
05-12-2006, 01:01 AM
this link may be of use to some people.

http://golin:[email protected]/

Kairyu
05-12-2006, 10:35 AM
And not a single Street Fighter or Capcom arcade game came to gamecube. I wonder why... However maybe Capcom will make a long overdue Nintendo platform release of Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, or better yet offer some of their great arcade titles through Virtual console such as Marvel Vs. Capcom, X-Men Vs. Street Fighter, Marvel Vs. Street Fighter, Darkstalkers, Super Street Fighter 2, Strider 2, etc.
Actually, they released CvS 2 for the GCN. It had two control schemes- the normal setup, which was hard to use because of the irregular button sizes, and the POS setup, which involved using the shoulder buttons for different levels of attacks, and tilting the C-stick in various directions to use specials and supers.

From the looks of the trailer, those 'supers' will be activated by picking up Smash-symbol-esque items.

Gerudo
05-12-2006, 11:45 AM
keep it first party? fuck that. cause yknow, we want 10 extra characters that are basically the same thing as existing chars (dr mario/mario, pichu/pikachu, ganondorf/cap-falcon, fox/falco, etc).

i for one an very excited about 3rd party chars being able to be in the game. nintendo only has so many characters, so chances are this will be the best SSB game yet.

ctrl-alt-delete
05-12-2006, 05:23 PM
keep it first party? fuck that. cause yknow, we want 10 extra characters that are basically the same thing as existing chars (dr mario/mario, pichu/pikachu, ganondorf/cap-falcon, fox/falco, etc).

i for one an very excited about 3rd party chars being able to be in the game. nintendo only has so many characters, so chances are this will be the best SSB game yet.

Nintendo has more than enough characters that they could have used, not to mention all of the upcoming titles for the Wii which are being developed by them, like Project H.A.M.M.E.R.

However, I have no real problem with third party. In fact, I welcome the change. Sonic and Megaman better make the cut, or somebody dies.

ShadowTiger
05-12-2006, 06:08 PM
Megaman, sure, but what attacks would Sonic or Tails have? ._o'

Pikachu and Pichu, Link and Young Link, Marth and Roy may be alike in moves, and Falco and Fox and Falcon and Ganondorf are anything but similar. Falco and Fox play very differently, (Jump-->Smash Down, anyone?) and Falcon and Ganondorf ... well, ... I don't even need to comment on that for you to know what I mean.

I do think they could do away with Game and Watch, Ice Climbers, and a few of the other little ones. So useless.

KJAZZ
05-13-2006, 03:17 PM
Pikachu and Pichu, Link and Young Link, Marth and Roy may be alike in moves, and Falco and Fox and Falcon and Ganondorf are anything but similar. Falco and Fox play very differently, (Jump-->Smash Down, anyone?) and Falcon and Ganondorf ... well, ... I don't even need to comment on that for you to know what I mean.

I do think they could do away with Game and Watch, Ice Climbers, and a few of the other little ones. So useless.

Anyone who has played the game enough times knows that while the clone characters are based on the originals, they play very differently.

That being said, I hope that Dr. Mario, Pichu, Falco, and Young Link will not make it to the next game. I could stand to lose Game and Watch and Ice Climbers as well.

I am kinda hoping Ganondorf will be taken out as well, and Ganon added in his place. :spin:

Regardless, I'm sure it will be a very great game.

Tygore
05-14-2006, 03:06 PM
My main characters in SSB:M are all clones (Pichu is EXTREMELY fun to play as once you learn to handle his quirks). I personally love the alternates, as they give basically a new stat spread to an existing character. Still, I wouldn't mind seeing Ganondorf use that sword of his..

goKi
05-14-2006, 04:54 PM
Hopefully, they increase Luigi's bot AI. That guy would lose a Melee at a Simple Plan concert.

ONeilcool
05-14-2006, 05:34 PM
awwww the ice climbers are really fun!

"Sure you can beat me, but can you beat me with Mr. Game and watch?"

what would we say without the worse characters?

nioro
05-15-2006, 12:14 AM
Megaman and Sonic?

No way, man..

Zero and Knuckles..

(They're better suited for melee combat anyways)

MottZilla
05-15-2006, 02:39 AM
You gotta point there, they would be way better for the smash bros game. Zero is too cool for every fighting game though it seems. He was in SvC Chaos as his MMZ style self. But I'd rather see him in a game as his classic MMX1 or MMX2+ self.

punkonjunk1024
05-15-2006, 11:22 AM
SvC Chaos = what?

Archibaldo
05-15-2006, 11:22 AM
I still think that they should have added Banjo and Kazooey.They could be kind of like the Ice Climbers, only you know, with out the suck.

MottZilla
05-15-2006, 05:19 PM
SvC Chaos = what?

SvC Chaos - SNK Vs. Capcom, a NeoGeo arcade game made in 2003. It was ported to PS2 as well.

firefly
05-15-2006, 06:16 PM
You may ignore this text: (not a spoiler)
-=SPOILER=-[/quote]It's a Nintendo game, do you want Nintendo characters to be removed and add characters like:
-=SPOILER=-
-=SPOILER=-Do you really think that's right? what characters do you want next? Nesquik bunny and The Incredibles?
-=SPOILER=-Yes, I'm very, very dissapointed as well.[/spoiler]

ZomfgIts0rzlolo
05-15-2006, 09:20 PM
Delita, Tifa, Magus, other Square characters, etc. And Geno.

Warlock
05-16-2006, 10:34 AM
Delita, Tifa, Magus, other Square characters, etc. And Geno.

I doubt we'll see any Square characters. That's just my opinion, but it doesn't seem likely at all. If we did, it'd probably be Cloud and Sephiroth.. can't imagine anyone else they'd use.

But anyways, being they've already got Snake, it shouldn't be much of a stretch to get a couple Castlevania characters in there. I suggest Simon Belmont and Alucard (Simon in particular is a good choice not only because of his popularity and his use of the whip which would be unique, but also because he has been - except I believe one instance - primarily a Nintendo system character.. the exception being a remake of Castlevania 1 for PSX I believe.. forgive me if I forgot another occurance ;))

Aside from that, I seriously do not see any problems with getting Sega onboard. Sonic will probably show up.. then maybe Tails and who knows who else (Shadow probably, maybe Knuckles). Capcom might get onboard. If that happens, at least Mega Man should make an appearance. I don't know who else they'd pick as they have a ton of choices. I suppose they could pick Ryu or something but I'm kind of against that (we have seen those guys in enough fighters already).

Actually though, Namco is a good possibility. Nintendo has been working with them a LOT lately. Like Link in Soul Calibur 2, the Mario Kart arcade machine with Pacman, etc as drives. Didn't they co-develop Pac Man Vs.? That being said, I don't really know who they'd choose. I'm not sure Pac Man works, but maybe he does? What else do they have? Maybe someone from Soul Calibur?

ShadowTiger
05-16-2006, 10:36 AM
But anyways, being they've already got Snake, it shouldn't be much of a stretch to get a couple Castlevania characters in there. I suggest Simon Belmont and Alucard (Simon in particular is a good choice not only because of his popularity and his use of the whip which would be unique, but also because he has been - except I believe one instance - primarily a Nintendo system character.. the exception being a remake of Castlevania 1 for PSX I believe.. forgive me if I forgot another occurance )You know who would absolutely Rock for SSBB? Soma Cruz from AoS/DoS. I wrote up a short moves list Here (http://www.purezc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19752&st=15#). Would be so very nice to see him there.

Warlock
05-16-2006, 10:46 AM
You know who would absolutely Rock for SSBB? Soma Cruz from AoS/DoS. I wrote up a short moves list Here (http://www.purezc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19752&st=15#). Would be so very nice to see him there.

Soma sucks :P

Grasshopper
05-16-2006, 07:01 PM
I just want to see Kevin Keene. :D

I know hes not really from any particular game, and I'm not sure he's Nintendo, but I'd still like to see him in there.

mrz84
05-16-2006, 07:26 PM
I hope some fire emblem characters (not Marth or Roy) make it in. megaman or even one of his foes would be nice. but Pit?! come on... :shrug: meh, if that's what he thinks they want...

Mak-X
05-16-2006, 08:07 PM
Pretty much what Warlock said, I'd like to see Mega Man (Capcom), Simon Belmont (Konami), Pac-Man (Namco), Sonic (Sega), and maybe Bomberman or Master Higgins (Hudson).

Simon Belmont and Snake were already in Dream Mix TV, the import only Smash Bros. clone.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5755168500935946899&q=dream+mix+tv

Pit is already taken care of, so I'd like to see them pull out some other old Nintendo characters like Little Mac (Punch-Out!!), and Mike (Startropics).

ONeilcool
05-16-2006, 08:44 PM
I think the guy from Prince of Persia would pretty cool. He would of fit in pretty good if he took on the apperance from the first game. He's matured alittle since then, but if you can put snake you could do him.

Rainman
05-16-2006, 09:00 PM
The amount of nerd boners resulting from this game is kind of annoying.

MottZilla
05-17-2006, 03:35 AM
While were all suggesting characters, I suggest Tira from Soul Calibur 3 because she's hot. And ofcourse every game needs some hot ass to look at right? ;)

Archibaldo
05-17-2006, 09:23 AM
While were all suggesting characters, I suggest Tira from Soul Calibur 3 because she's hot. And ofcourse every game needs some hot ass to look at right? ;)

What? Peach doesn't cut it for you?

ShadowTiger
05-17-2006, 09:25 AM
Tira (http://www.nintendojofr.com/images/nouvelles/2005/03/soulCalibur3_Tira.jpg) wouldn't say "SssWEET! :kawaii:" when she poses adorably. ;-p

KJAZZ
05-17-2006, 06:14 PM
Actually though, Namco is a good possibility. Nintendo has been working with them a LOT lately. Like Link in Soul Calibur 2, the Mario Kart arcade machine with Pacman, etc as drives. Didn't they co-develop Pac Man Vs.? That being said, I don't really know who they'd choose. I'm not sure Pac Man works, but maybe he does? What else do they have? Maybe someone from Soul Calibur?

People from Soul Calibur, Tekken... maybe even characters from the "Tales of.." series? >_> Unlikely yes, but that would be very interesting. Namco has enough quirky characters that I'm sure one could make it in.. Mr. Driller maybe? <_<

MottZilla
05-17-2006, 07:03 PM
Omg, Mr Diller would rock. He'd fit right in as a cutesy goofy character of insanity.

And no Peach doesn't do it. And Tira isn't supposed to be cute, she's supposed to be sexy.

ONeilcool
05-17-2006, 08:41 PM
The amount of nerd boners resulting from this game is kind of annoying.

And Tira isn't supposed to be cute, she's supposed to be sexy.

Oh now I get it!

mrz84
05-18-2006, 04:02 PM
Who I would like to see in this game exactly: Sonic, either Knuckles/Shadow, Megaman, Blues/Forte (or Protoman/Bass if you prefer to call them...), maybe Maxim/Dekar from Lufia 2 (Natsume and Nintendo have a good relationship going on for years...). Zero as he appears in the X series would be really sweet! any of the Belmonts though Simon/Leon would be my picks and maybe Alucard. btw, I think Soma rocks as one of the top 5 Castlevania characters of all time (Alucard being, IMHO, #1). Personally, I'm not worrying who appears in the game. I can play as any character (I've beaten many opponents with the likes of Game and Watch and the Ice Climbers just to prove that they can be used effectively), but Samus is really my fav character to use since the first Smash Bros. game

Tygore
05-18-2006, 04:12 PM
(I've beaten many opponents with the likes of Game and Watch and the Ice Climbers just to prove that they can be used effectively)

My brother does that to me. Annoying, but I can often retaliate with Pichu.

nioro
05-21-2006, 04:25 PM
Is it just me, or are they taking a more bad-ass aproach to the game?

It just seems more destructive and violent, plus the addition of Snake?

I dunno..

MottZilla
05-22-2006, 11:38 AM
It's comic like animated violence suitable for kids. It's no worse than the cartoons some of us watched as kids with cartoon characters blowing eachother up and such.

nioro
05-24-2006, 10:53 PM
I think I meant something else..

The stances and graphics, they looked more focused, more rugged, like the 'X-Treme' movement, not neccesarily more bloody or violent..

I have absolutely no other way to say this..

Kairyu
05-25-2006, 12:41 PM
I think I meant something else..

The stances and graphics, they looked more focused, more rugged, like the 'X-Treme' movement, not neccesarily more bloody or violent..

I have absolutely no other way to say this..
It's the difference between Megaman and Megaman X.
I thought the exact same thing the first time I saw Melee, but I don't even notice it any more. I expect pretty much the same with Brawl.

mrz84
06-28-2006, 12:24 PM
It just seems more destructive and violent, plus the addition of Snake?

the cast additions get a little darker(IMHO) as its revealed that Kirby's sometimes friend, sometimes foe Metaknight is going to be playable, as will Wario (in his WarioWare getup...) Metaknight's ship from Kirby Super Star aslo appears in one stage from the looks of a screenshot I saw in the newest issue of EGM. what's bugs me is that a few months ago I thought it would be neat to have Metaknight and Wario as playables in the next Smash Bros game.....