PDA

View Full Version : Locations of HPC's

rocksfan13
05-09-2006, 09:14 AM
I was just wondering where you plan on placing a majority of the HPC's in NeoFirst Shadow Tiger. I'd like to get some ideas rolling on the path of the strength of Link.
Since this hasn't been discussed yet.

I'm not too sure that placing them all or a mojority of them on the overworld would be a good idea. I mean, the idea of placing some in the maze that was discussed is good, but what of the rest?

ShadowTiger
05-09-2006, 09:36 AM
*ShadowTiger. :p

Well, they won't be that difficult to find. Although I don't want to instill the feeling that it's alright to just throw these things around, I also don't want the player to feel that they have to place them so deviantly that people would never find them. I want to hide them in grottos and behind trees. Diligence will definitely be rewarded. I even want to hide a few of them in the Dungeons, such as in a few seemingly redundant rooms in Level 2 which will be useful in one state of heat and not in the other. There will more than likely be an HCP hidden in such a useless room. Somewhere. ;) You'll just have to find it on your own. ;-D I expect every dungeon to have at LEAST one, if not two HCP's hidden somewhere. L3 could have quite a few more, since I Expect it to be rather large. (VERY large, in fact. I do hope so...)

On the overworld, there will be at least twelve acquirable in the town through various mediums. Little minigames, sidequests, burning trees, ... ... tons of possibilities.

Additionally, I think that I might give either an HCP or a HC for defeating a miniboss. I'd need to set up a poll for that or something, but I don't think it's too big of a deal. It'll probably end up being an HCP after all. I don't plan on having that special Dungeon item IN THE SAME ROOM with the miniboss anyway. That's just not done! :p

You'll have four Heart Containers to start out with. There will be three bosses, each of which will give you one full Heart Container. There -MIGHT- be some guy somewhere who can sense that you'll have defeated a boss, and might be able to give you another, assuming you can pass some sort of test. I'm not sure. Might be nice to have six extra Heart Containers for you efforts. :p

Then, well, since there are 24 HC's total, ... 4+6 = 10, ... So 24-10 = 14, ... 14*4 = 56 Heart Container Pieces. Wonderful. X x. lol, okay. So we've got a lot of work ahead of us then.

rocksfan13
05-09-2006, 10:20 AM
Oh yes. Sounds like fun.

Depending on the "test", would it be wise to give out 6 HC's and not HPC's. I realise that there are only 3 levels and one overworld, but wouldn't that be a little much for one guy?

Giving at least 2 HCP's in the level sounds just. Since you're going to use the 24 HC option. I would suggest starting with 2 in the 1st level, then double it in the 2nd to make it 4, then double that iin the 3rd to make it 8, since you plan on making the next level larger than the previous.

You don't intend on using the Heart Container Type room do you?

I don't really think that should be used here, as nobody ever takes the potion.

ShadowTiger
05-09-2006, 10:32 AM
Actually that'd be kinda nice. :p I had forgotten about that option. ^^; Should prove most useful. Since NeoFirst won't be massive, (Lots of walking around and exploring the overworld.) those potion/HC rooms will be invaluable. It'll save us a lot of HCP placement issues.

rocksfan13
05-09-2006, 10:53 AM
That's true. But the same could be done by making it a special item room type and just make it a HC. The same thing applies, but without the potion option.

Another thought: How about the theives give out some of the HCP's as well. Could be used as a suble reward.
Also, are there going to be any fairy ponds?

ShadowTiger
05-09-2006, 06:07 PM
That's true. But the same could be done by making it a special item room type and just make it a HC. The same thing applies, but without the potion option.True; I just thought it'd be nice if the player actually had a choice, and knew that their decision could possibly screw them in the end. :p It's the very lowest step to "Replayability."

Another thought: How about the thieves give out some of the HCP's as well. Could be used as a suble reward.Hm. Interesting idea. Those will undoubtedly be hidden behind statues as well. I can easily and happily foresee the Thieves having a TON of statues in their lairs. ;-p They're thieves, after all. I don't think they'll just give away their HCP's though. They're too valuable for that. They're only giving you wallets because you were good enough to find them in the first place, so it's a thiefenly sign of respect to give your "fellow thief" (Again, good enough to find him, so....) a bit of tools of the trade. My line of thought, anyway.

Also, are there going to be any fairy ponds?I doubt it, actually. Most content related to that will be done via the three restoration points. I made a topic about it earlier; probably in the save point topic a ways back.

Nimono
05-09-2006, 06:21 PM
If you want, I could try and find places to hide those Pieces of Heart in the overworld once you're done planning it (if you're not done already). Think about it, okay?

ShadowTiger
05-09-2006, 06:26 PM
If you want, I could try and find places to hide those Pieces of Heart in the overworld once you're done planning it (if you're not done already). Think about it, okay?
If I haven't implied that enough at this point, I apologize. ;-p

I'm still planning out the mountain areas. I hate doing mountains. XD I should seriously just scan whatever I have and let someone else think about them, if they're so inclined.

Nimono
05-09-2006, 06:28 PM
If I haven't implied that enough at this point, I apologize. ;-p

I'm still planning out the mountain areas. I hate doing mountains. XD I should seriously just scan whatever I have and let someone else think about them, if they're so inclined.
Mountain areas? Is one going to be snow? I like snow areas...

ShadowTiger
05-09-2006, 06:58 PM
Generally, .. .. Head south from the Town. (Roughly in the center of the map; SLIGHTLY lower.) You'll hit the beach. Now head east one or two screens. You'll hit the lower reaches of the mountain ranges. If you continue directly/straight Northeast, the last thing you'll hit is L3. If you head directly east rather than Northeast, you'll be navigating among lava-flow mountains and such. The more east and south you go, the more lava there is. (There's some in the northeast too.) The more vertically-central you get, as well as vertically west you go along these mountains, the less lava and obsidian there is.

Nimono
05-09-2006, 07:10 PM
Generally, .. .. Head south from the Town. (Roughly in the center of the map; SLIGHTLY lower.) You'll hit the beach. Now head east one or two screens. You'll hit the lower reaches of the mountain ranges. If you continue directly/straight Northeast, the last thing you'll hit is L3. If you head directly east rather than Northeast, you'll be navigating among lava-flow mountains and such. The more east and south you go, the more lava there is. (There's some in the northeast too.) The more vertically-central you get, as well as vertically west you go along these mountains, the less lava and obsidian there is.
That didn't answer my question.

ShadowTiger
05-09-2006, 07:21 PM
Mountain areas? Is one going to be snow? I like snow areas...
Your question consisted of snow. Have you ever seen snow and lava intermingling? It's either spring, or lava. No snow.

Nimono
05-09-2006, 07:37 PM
Your question consisted of snow. Have you ever seen snow and lava intermingling? It's either spring, or lava. No snow.
You could have a snow mountain on the opposite side of the overworld, maybe near where Level 2 is. Those are just my thoughts.

ShadowTiger
05-09-2006, 07:46 PM
We could have a lot of things. The thing is, L2 doesn't *start* off as an Ice Dungeon. It's a volcanic region.

We *COULD* have a snowy mountain area, but I wouldn't see where to put it. The Southeastern portion remains a volcanic region for the duration of the quest. :p

However, I may have a nice little spot a few screens to the east of L1, along roughly the northern central area of the map. It's mostly plains, even right up to the very top screen, but if we can get people into a tight spot, I can certainly see a combination of snow and grass over there, assuming the player has no other way to enter. (It'd be done via scrolling warps to trigger the Palette shift.)

Nimono
05-09-2006, 07:56 PM
We could have a lot of things. The thing is, L2 doesn't *start* off as an Ice Dungeon. It's a volcanic region.

We *COULD* have a snowy mountain area, but I wouldn't see where to put it. The Southeastern portion remains a volcanic region for the duration of the quest. :p

However, I may have a nice little spot a few screens to the east of L1, along roughly the northern central area of the map. It's mostly plains, even right up to the very top screen, but if we can get people into a tight spot, I can certainly see a combination of snow and grass over there, assuming the player has no other way to enter. (It'd be done via scrolling warps to trigger the Palette shift.)
Oh, I thought Level 2 started as Ice, not Fire. Speaking of which, have you decided on the boss of Level 2 yet? Also, maybe you could hide some extra dungeons in the Ice region. Some could be for Pieces of Heart, important equipment, or to get some tasty tidbits of information that could really help by the end of the quest, while one lone, and hard to find, dungeon is for experts only. It'ds have the hardest traps in the quest, not to mention one of the hardest bosses in the quest, but completing it gives you a powerful item, maybe the Master Sword or the Gold Ring. Or whatever you want.

ShadowTiger
05-09-2006, 08:24 PM
Unless you want to fully design each and every one of these new areas, NeoFirst needs to be kept relatively short. Got it? ;)

Nimono
05-09-2006, 08:25 PM
Unless you want to fully design each and every one of these new areas, NeoFirst needs to be kept relatively short. Got it? ;)
I understand completely.

rocksfan13
05-10-2006, 08:22 AM
Just curious. How far are you with the combo organizations? Have you started the overworld design yet?

Just wondering because there hasn't been any updates to the progress thread lately.

ShadowTiger
05-10-2006, 08:50 AM
I know, Doug. =/ I'm worried about that too. I hate to "make excuses," though it's not like I haven't been hammering away at it, but it seems that no matter what I do with the Combo Page, something else somewhere else in the combo page gets skewed by a few combos or gets replaced by some garbage combos. It's like a game of whack-a-mole at this point. >.<' I've done far too much with it to go back to the default DoR set at this point, so I'm just going to have to keep working on it and hope that the Combo Garbage bug keeps itself to a minimum. ._.'

The overworld design is making much better progress though. It's absolutely up to the point where when we start building it, (I or we. Doesn't matter.) All I have left to do are the SouthEast and central mountain ranges, which I hate doing, and I can scan it and show you guys. Thing is, I'm absolutely horrible at planning mountain ranges. XD I really should scan what I do have and show you guys so you can sketch up the rest.

rocksfan13
05-10-2006, 08:59 AM
Sounds like a good idea. I'm quite sure that everyone that wants to help would like to see what you've got so far.

I won't say your real name here though. Just don't think you'd appreciate it. I don't mind it though.

ShadowTiger
05-10-2006, 09:34 AM
Oh, sorry. :| You really don't mind? ... Well, I also really don't mind being called by my first name either. It's just social. :p Completely. Last name though, that's completely out of the question regardless of situation. ^.^

Right. So the lower right corner of the map is mostly composed of volcanic areas. The farther Southeast you go, the more lava flows there are and the hotter it gets. You'll probably see trees burning and such, but I think they're *already* burnt, so why bother. (I'll definitely be making a seperate palette for this area. Absolutely. It'll include both superheated rock, normal rock, and Charred Blackish rock with bits of obsidian stone.)

To the extreme northeast of the map, you'll find the 3x1 Level 3. (Might even be 3x2. Not sure yet. :p Eh, probably will be.) It'll be ... just ... ... charred. Like steak that's been stuck on a pike in a burning building for hours on end. Destruction galore. If you've ever seen that Episode of King of the Hill where Dale lets loose fire ants on his prized lawn, and after many attempts to get rid of them, the fire ants win and turn literally 100% of his lawn into small hilly desert ... remember his reaction when he sees that? He doesn't even do that closeup-scream. His legs just buckle under him. That's the reaction I'm looking for the player, only with more "What the ... ... ... what the hell happened here? :shakeno: Why is ... ... This can't ... "

rocksfan13
05-10-2006, 09:56 AM
No. I don't mind. It was just a surprise!

Oh yes, I've seen it. Funny as hell. Sounds like you've done alot so far.
I would definately love to see it! I'm sure others will too.

The only thing that's slowing you down now is the garbage then?

ShadowTiger
05-10-2006, 10:06 AM
Well, here's what I have so far, I think. I'm not really sure what this is, as I don't really remember uploading it, ( ... ... ... ) but you can take a look at it I guess. This what remains of the Combo Pages. NeoFirst "Latest" (http://www.gerudo.net/bh4/zc/NeoFirst10b.qst). Take what you will from it, I guess.

A lot of the combos in there I can't identify. Some of them are real, and some of them are just "patches" I had to make because whole sections around those patches were completely displaced or transfigured in some way by the Garbage Combos Bug. It's like having portions of your skin stripped off and be replaced by things like cutlery, a desk lamp, and a rabbit. It just doesn't make sense. I have to refer back and forth between the DoR set and NeoFirst to see what went where. X x.

rocksfan13
05-10-2006, 10:34 AM
That gave me a whole lot of nothing. Everything was messed up. Is it possible that I have the wrong beta 10b?

It isn't like that for you is it? If it isn't can you offer a SS?

ShadowTiger
05-10-2006, 10:40 AM
No thanks, I remember what it looks like now. :p Thanks though.

Yes, everything was messed up for me too. I remember why I uploaded that. It was so koopa could take a look at it when I opened NeoFirst on my Celeron D machine. (3.0 Gig, 512 Mb Ram, ME and XP Dualboot, ... ) So when I opened it up on that machine, it gave me a whole bunch of errors on quest load in ZQuest, (Things like "error... bad token found." etc.

rocksfan13
05-10-2006, 10:43 AM
Is there an update that you can upload?

ShadowTiger
05-10-2006, 10:54 AM
No. ^^; Not really. This (http://www.gerudo.net/bh4/zc/NeoFirst10bcurrent.qst) is the "latest" upload of NeoFirst that I have. A few things are different from this version, as it's been fully a month since that's been released, and I've done quite a bit on it since, but you can see the overall direction it's going. Again, if you see some anomalies in the combo pages, that'd be the work of the combo garbage bug.

Happy 1111th post BTW. :p

rocksfan13
05-10-2006, 11:19 AM
I see. There still is a lot to be done. That version had the same issue, except the combos weren't going nuts. Guess we'll have to wait for the scanned image then.

And thanks!