PDA

View Full Version : The legality of game music files:

ShadowTiger
05-07-2006, 05:31 PM
This is mostly for my own use for when I'm working with the enhanced music for NeoFirst, but I figure it'd be interesting to spark a little discussion after I ask.

Thus: How "illegal" are SPC files? ... ... For example, the ones from zophar.net? Is it legal to rip the music if a commercial soundtrack is never released? Is it illegal to rip directly from the game in another format if a commercial soundtrack is released?

Essentially, I'm thinking of using those little 65 KB SPC files from Terranigma (And other games.) In NeoFirst since they're so small. Now, obviously, I'd want to make sure that such a thing isn't illegal, as NeoFirst will be widely released with new versions of ZC. (Assuming we can finish it by next year. > >.' )

Glenn the Great
05-07-2006, 05:34 PM
No more illegal than the reuse of graphics in ZC, which has attracted zero legal attention.

Quit worrying over whether something is illegal and just do it.

Gerudo
05-07-2006, 09:07 PM
i was thinking this thread was about common game music files such as the *SF files (those familiar with them will get it).

most of the legality comes down to the fact that the SNES has long since been defunct, and about 95% of the music from the games were never officially released on any media such as cassette tapes or cd's (well, unless you live in japan, i'm sure you can find almost any soundtrack from any game there).

KJAZZ
05-07-2006, 09:49 PM
Well, you could always just decide to use some music from commercial games, and then if you get some kind of complaint (which I personally doubt will happen, but ehh) then just have a back-up for the music you want to use.

Just don't use songs from games that we've all heard too much already. You know what I'm talking about.

{DSG}DarkRaven
05-08-2006, 01:26 AM
It's not illegal if nobody cares about it enough to sue you. And nobody is going to bring criminal charges against you or AGN over SPC files. I mean, really, that's like Nintendo suing you for copying and pasting text off their website. It's pathetic.

Nicholas Steel
05-08-2006, 04:40 AM
it is illegal until the original authors and/or creators of the the original music release it for free...

that being said i still download spc's etc. and i don't think any comapany will complain... just make sure to have a backup in case someone does complain... and i can't wait till neofirst gets released.

ShadowTiger
05-08-2006, 09:05 AM
You'll be waiting at least a year until the Garbage Combo bug gets fixed, that's for sure. :blah: XD So I -will- be using some Terranigma SPC's in here, including Path through the Sun, the Crickets Chirping theme, and the "Equipment" theme, quite possibly. That'll be fun.

Thanks for your swift responses. > >.