PDA

View Full Version : Cave/Item room without the cave/item

lackluster
05-06-2006, 01:21 PM
Hey, how can I get a guy and strings of text on a screen without it being a cave/item room and thus restricted to being the same as every other room with a guy and text? For instance, I have houses you can walk into and rooms for the houses on a different map, but I don't know how to make a guy appear within those rooms without sending the player into the cave/item room. Since I don't want the interior of every single room that has a person in it the same.

Pineconn
05-06-2006, 02:12 PM
The Dmap has to be set to a level greater than 0, and the Dmap type has to be dungeon. Don't worry, many people ask this question. ;)

lackluster
05-06-2006, 02:27 PM
Has to be set to dungeon, hunh? Bah. That makes sense. Ah well, I can make that work. Thanks for the help. :]

Pineconn
05-06-2006, 02:34 PM
Well, it might work as a Cave or BS-Overworld (I always use Dungeon), but it cannot be an overworld. (Yes, 'cannot' is one word. :tongue: )

lackluster
05-06-2006, 02:40 PM
Hmm, alright. My main gripe is that I can't have an Overworld-sized map for it, but I guess that's not a big deal. Thanks again. ^^

Pineconn
05-06-2006, 04:00 PM
That's the only downside. You can't make the coordinates of the overworld match those of the dungeon, so you can't make it appear that Link's position doesn't change on the small map on the top from overworld to dungeon.

Nimono
05-06-2006, 04:02 PM
Well, it might work as a Cave or BS-Overworld (I always use Dungeon), but it cannot be an overworld. (Yes, 'cannot' is one word. :tongue: )
Wrong again. One of my quests has signposts you can read, and each DMap you warp to is set as OVERWORLD. The Level Number is the ONLY thing that matters when setting guys. If it's 0, then the guy and string will only appear in the Cave/Item room.

And one more thing: You CAN make the coordinates of the new screen match the screen you were just on. Just put the screen you warp to have the same coordinates as the original. In other words, make both screens have the same position (i.e., Screen 51)! You're not thinking clearly. You were only taking what you do into consideration, it seems.

Pineconn
05-06-2006, 04:06 PM
Wrong again.

How nice.

One of my quests has signposts you can read, and each DMap you warp to is set as OVERWORLD. The Level Number is the ONLY thing that matters when setting guys. If it's 0, then the guy and string will only appear in the Cave/Item room.

Okay, fine. It can be overworld. Actually, I use it as an overworld in my quest, so I really have no excuse of being wrong. (BTW, there are things called bold, italicized, and underlined styles.)

And one more thing: You CAN make the coordinates of the new screen match the screen you were just on. Just put the screen you warp to have the same coordinates as the original. In other words, make both screens have the same position (i.e., Screen 51)! You're not thinking clearly. You were only taking what you do into consideration, it seems.

I meant from dungeon to overworld, hence:

You can't make the coordinates of the overworld match those of the dungeon, so you can't make it appear that Link's position doesn't change on the small map on the top from overworld to dungeon.

51 on the overworld doesn't equal 51 on the dungeon.

lackluster
05-06-2006, 04:11 PM
Only the level number is necessary? Wonderful. =] Hey, on a whim, is there a limit to how many level numbers you can use in a quest?

And yeah, of course it would be possible to warp to identical coordinates between two overworlds, but Pineconn meant from an Overworld to a Dungeon. ;o I did that on accident and tried to warp to a screen that would be near the right side of an Overworld map, and Link's marker ended up way to the right of the map in the A button box. x.o

Pineconn
05-06-2006, 04:18 PM
256! (0 through 255) 256 level numbers, and 256 Dmaps. Of course, you can use as many Dmaps per level numbers as you want.

That is right.

lackluster
05-06-2006, 04:27 PM
Splendid. One more thing while we're at it. Do you know any way to have the room with the guy and the message string completely accessible, rather than only being able to walk on the bottom half? I know you can after you get the item if it's a Special Item type room, but I don't want the guy to vanish, and I'd rather not have any items or money on the floor.

Nimono
05-06-2006, 04:29 PM
How nice.

Okay, fine. It can be overworld. Actually, I use it as an overworld in my quest, so I really have no excuse of being wrong. (BTW, there are things called bold, italicized, and underlined styles.)

I meant from dungeon to overworld, hence:

51 on the overworld doesn't equal 51 on the dungeon.
I know about bold, italics, and underlinings. I just don't know how to use them here. That, and to me, using caps is a better way to show that something is important.

Pineconn
05-06-2006, 05:09 PM
I know about bold, italics, and underlinings. I just don't know how to use them here. That, and to me, using caps is a better way to show that something is important.

<b> <i> <u> , end with </b> </i> </u> . (make <> into []) Example: I <i>think</i> it's May 6th.

Splendid. One more thing while we're at it. Do you know any way to have the room with the guy and the message string completely accessible, rather than only being able to walk on the bottom half? I know you can after you get the item if it's a Special Item type room, but I don't want the guy to vanish, and I'd rather not have any items or money on the floor.

This isn't possible. Just about everyone wants it like this, but it's not yet possible.

lackluster
05-06-2006, 05:09 PM
Guess not. o.o

Thanks to both of you for the help. ^^

Edit: Oops, okay then. That saved me a lot of testing. ;o

Pineconn
05-06-2006, 05:12 PM
Any time. Ask away with any of your future questions.