PDA

View Full Version : Cjc Proposes... an interactive overworld

CJC
05-03-2006, 09:44 PM
I had originally concocted this idea for the Forest dungeon, to have an event that sets the dungeon ablaze and then later burn out into a desert, but it was too... gimmicky.

Instead, why not apply it to the world map?
How about the world around the final dungeon is a rainforest at the start of the quest, with Giant trees blocking the entrance.
After completing the 'Simple' (First) dungeon, the forest catches on fire. Venturing further into the area would now be possible, but the final dungeon would still be blocked by burning trees. Also, it would give a chance to show off fog effects and underfoot damage combos (Can't breath very well in a burning forest!)
Finally, after beating the 'Gimmick' (Second) dungeon, the fires would burn out and the rainforest would be left as a burned-out wasteland. Access to the final dungeon would at last be possible, and it would look awesome in the process.

So the question is, can it be done? I'm sure somebody knows how.

Nimono
05-03-2006, 10:01 PM
I had originally concocted this idea for the Forest dungeon, to have an event that sets the dungeon ablaze and then later burn out into a desert, but it was too... gimmicky.

Instead, why not apply it to the world map?
How about the world around the final dungeon is a rainforest at the start of the quest, with Giant trees blocking the entrance.
After completing the 'Simple' (First) dungeon, the forest catches on fire. Venturing further into the area would now be possible, but the final dungeon would still be blocked by burning trees. Also, it would give a chance to show off fog effects and underfoot damage combos (Can't breath very well in a burning forest!)
Finally, after beating the 'Gimmick' (Second) dungeon, the fires would burn out and the rainforest would be left as a burned-out wasteland. Access to the final dungeon would at last be possible, and it would look awesome in the process.

So the question is, can it be done? I'm sure somebody knows how.
I'm sure whoever's working on the quest would be intent on using Boss Flags to trigger those events, but in my opinoion, I like that! But why stop with just the final area? Why not affect the WHOLE overworld? Why not have little events between each dungeon, like stopping a gang from destroying something, or something more serious, like saving someone that was kidnapped by one of the bosses (the boss could be made weaker for the event, but at the difficulty the boss is supposed to be when you REALLY fight it)?

ShadowTiger
05-03-2006, 10:39 PM
I'm tempted to say "WOW," but I'm also tempted to say, "No." but the premise is very interesting. It'd be rather complex, as it'd require a copy of the overworld to be created for this.

I'll decide on it when I have more of the quest completed. This, while impressive, is a pretty major step I had never envisioned us taking. (Just FYI.)

Nimono
05-04-2006, 09:17 AM
I'm tempted to say "WOW," but I'm also tempted to say, "No." but the premise is very interesting. It'd be rather complex, as it'd require a copy of the overworld to be created for this.

I'll decide on it when I have more of the quest completed. This, while impressive, is a pretty major step I had never envisioned us taking. (Just FYI.)
I, for one, will not "wait patiently" for it to happen. It's not like you HAVE to do all that. But then again, most of the best things are rarely expected....

ShadowTiger
05-04-2006, 10:08 AM
Well, if you're not going to "wait patiently," then what are you going to do? :p Want to go designing up some room plans? Possible locations for heart container pieces around the world? Choose something. :p

Nimono
05-04-2006, 10:23 AM
Well, if you're not going to "wait patiently," then what are you going to do? :p Want to go designing up some room plans? Possible locations for heart container pieces around the world? Choose something. :p
What I meant was, I'm not going to expect you to use with the ideas posted in this thread. Oh, and out of curiousity, why would you ask me those last 2 questions?

ShadowTiger
05-04-2006, 11:17 AM
It's pretty much a yes or no question. :p Do you want to help design NeoFirst? ... or are you mostly an idea contributor, and want to see things done in your own way? I mean, either is fine really. It couldn't hurt to have ideas. The more the merrier, really. Just, some things are more "possible" than others in the allotted time.

So would you like to help plan things out a little bit? :) Every little bit helps. ^_^

Nimono
05-04-2006, 11:19 AM
It's pretty much a yes or no question. :p Do you want to help design NeoFirst? ... or are you mostly an idea contributor, and want to see things done in your own way? I mean, either is fine really. It couldn't hurt to have ideas. The more the merrier, really. Just, some things are more "possible" than others in the allotted time.

So would you like to help plan things out a little bit? :) Every little bit helps. ^_^
That's what I thought you meant. I'm not sure if I do. I've got my own quests to work with, and I'm taking a break from making quests for right now because of the fact that I can't get any ideas, and when I do, I go into ZQuest, work around a tiny bit, then close it out and play with my emulator... I WOULD like to help, though.

ShadowTiger
05-04-2006, 11:31 AM
Perhaps you can plan out the difficulty scale through out the quest? For example, plan out by when the player will have -X- number of Heart Containers, both permanent and/or attained from bonus Heart Container Pieces, etc. Ring/Armor acquisition opportunities, and also locations of Magic Containers.

Basically plot out how strong you think the player could/should be through out the quest, as well as looking for opportunities for advancement, and when the player is able to access them.

Remember: The following items are attained in Level one:
1) Red Candle.
2) Hookshot.

Level two:
1) Ladder.
2) Raft.
3) Magic Hammer.

Level three:
1) Bow 1 and Wooden Arrows.
2) L1 Amulet.
3) Bow 2 and Silver Arrows.

You can get Slash and Double Magic by the time you get the Red Candle, so you can just leave in the middle of Level 1 (Forest Temple.) to go get lots of your quest items. I plan on having a LOT of things burnable in the quest.

Nimono
05-04-2006, 11:38 AM
Perhaps you can plan out the difficulty scale through out the quest? For example, plan out by when the player will have -X- number of Heart Containers, both permanent and/or attained from bonus Heart Container Pieces, etc. Ring/Armor acquisition opportunities, and also locations of Magic Containers.

Basically plot out how strong you think the player could/should be through out the quest, as well as looking for opportunities for advancement, and when the player is able to access them.

1) Red Candle.
2) Hookshot.

Level two:
1) Ladder.
2) Raft.
3) Magic Hammer.

Level three:
2) L1 Amulet.

You can get Slash and Double Magic by the time you get the Red Candle, so you can just leave in the middle of Level 1 (Forest Temple.) to go get lots of your quest items. I plan on having a LOT of things burnable in the quest.
Well, I'm not so sure if I should be the one to plan the difficulty. Unfortunately, my idea of hard would be the average person's SUPER HARD. I like things difficult. But only because most of the time, I can beat a new game within 24 hours. But that dcoesn't count getting 100%, only beating the final boss. That, and I like to hide some stuff in the dungeons, leaving little for the overworld. Oh, and I'm wondering, how many Heart Containers are you planning on having in the quest? Fore some reason or another, I find that having 24 Heart Containers makes a quest too easy...

rocksfan13
05-04-2006, 12:04 PM

Maybe if pikaguy can't help with this, i can certainly give it shot.

1) Red Candle.
2) Hookshot.

Level two:
1) Ladder.
2) Raft.
3) Magic Hammer.

Level three:
2) L1 Amulet.

My question would be: How would the player aquire the blue, red, and (optional) gold rings. Also the swords.

ShadowTiger
05-04-2006, 12:18 PM
Oh, and I'm wondering, how many Heart Containers are you planning on having in the quest? Fore some reason or another, I find that having 24 Heart Containers makes a quest too easy...Well it depends on how far the player wants to go. If they're really devoted to looking for these, they can find quite a few of them. Considering that the player will start with four hearts, and will only acquire two new Heart Containers from Levels 1 and 2, .. .. I think it's fairly safe to assume that you'll NEED to go looking for these things.

My question would be: How would the player aquire the blue, red, and (optional) gold rings. Also the swords.Link wakes up to a commotion in his house. The temple of Light has been stormed and Link has been told to ... ... do something. Yeah, I'm not all that good at starting off a story, but I can sure as heck end one. o.o You'll pretty much be given your sword as soon as you're able to move.

There is no blue candle. The rings are probably going to be purchased in town. The Gold ring will be saved for a secret armory in the final area, I'm pretty sure. Holy Armor, basically. :p I'm still planning out where to get the rest of the swords.

Nimono
05-04-2006, 12:29 PM
Well it depends on how far the player wants to go. If they're really devoted to looking for these, they can find quite a few of them. Considering that the player will start with four hearts, and will only acquire two new Heart Containers from Levels 1 and 2, .. .. I think it's fairly safe to assume that you'll NEED to go looking for these things.
Well, I'm not good at hiding Heart Containers or Pieces of Heart, but I sure can make a difficult quest. I think... The easiest way for me to hide Pieces of Heart is probably to put them in a maze of some sort, place the object they're going for in the maze, and place objects to get rid of (like bushes) in the way, but they'd look like normal scenery... I did that once... in a quest I'm still working on... I could select places to hide the Pieces of Heart, but I don't know about the difficulty. If you're going to make the boss of Level 2 as hard as the boss of, oh, say, Level 8 in the first quest, then the Blue Ring should come AFTER level 1. The Red Ring would come either somewhere IN Level 2, or after it. Magic Containers should probably be held in extra caves hidden throughout the overworld. Maybe the player should have AT LEAST... 7 hearts at the end of Level 1, more if you look hard or if you think there should be more...

ShadowTiger
05-04-2006, 12:35 PM
Okay. The quest shouldn't be easy, but it will be never insanely difficult either. I want it perfectly possible to zero-game this quest if you've done it before.

The idea of a maze is quite appealing though. One could, theoretically, hide four, possibly eight heart container pieces within the maze if they're diligent enough. We could use quite a few tricks in there to make it seem creatively deceptive.

Nimono
05-04-2006, 12:43 PM
Okay. The quest shouldn't be easy, but it will be never insanely difficult either. I want it perfectly possible to zero-game this quest if you've done it before.

The idea of a maze is quite appealing though. One could, theoretically, hide four, possibly eight heart container pieces within the maze if they're diligent enough. We could use quite a few tricks in there to make it seem creatively deceptive.
Yes, a maze is great for hiding stuff. Like I said, I put that idea in one of my quests (I'm still working on it), and it'll have ALMOST ALL of the Pieces of Heart in the quest. (It's a Mario tileset, so there will be some mention of Pipes.) The only way to get to the maze is by pipes in my quest...

But that's beside the point. Oh, what do you mean by "zero-game the quest"?

rocksfan13
05-04-2006, 12:52 PM
She means the player never died.

I like the idea of using some sort of a maze. One that would require the player to return after recieving certain items after exploring certain levels or areas. The use of triggered secrets comes to mind.

ShadowTiger
05-04-2006, 12:52 PM
Finish the quest without dying once. :p

The maze will be a GREAT way of using Combo Aliases too. I can foresee it using a few interesting architectural structures. All will be made into combo aliases. No more constant layering required. ;-D

EDIT: rocksfan and I posted simultaneously. Whee.

Nimono
05-04-2006, 12:53 PM
Finish the quest without dying once. :p

The maze will be a GREAT way of using Combo Aliases too. I can foresee it using a few interesting architectural structures. All will be made into combo aliases. No more constant layering required. ;-D
Yay. I hope the quest goes as planned....

rocksfan13
05-04-2006, 12:55 PM
As long as there are great minds working on it, I don't see why it wouldn't.

ShadowTiger
05-04-2006, 01:08 PM
... ... lol spam/useless posts. [J/K] :p Modgasm. Anyway, ...

Well, current progress is, I'm still trying to fix up the bloody tileset. X x. I've made a LOT of progress on it, importing new 2.11 features and all, but the bloody Garbage Combo bug keeps messing it up again!

Combos' tile references are displaced by one tile to the right.

Useless combos are spawned all over blank areas.

Useless combos replace other combos which weren't useless ones.

Useless combos replace WHOLE SERIES' of combos! :eek:

Gettiing really annoying to fix up. X x.

Nimono
05-04-2006, 04:16 PM
... ... lol spam/useless posts. [J/K] :p Modgasm. Anyway, ...

Well, current progress is, I'm still trying to fix up the bloody tileset. X x. I've made a LOT of progress on it, importing new 2.11 features and all, but the bloody Garbage Combo bug keeps messing it up again!

Combos' tile references are displaced by one tile to the right.

Useless combos are spawned all over blank areas.

Useless combos replace other combos which weren't useless ones.

Useless combos replace WHOLE SERIES' of combos! :eek:

Gettiing really annoying to fix up. X x.
Hopefully, the garbage combo problems will be fixed in the next beta...

Sir_Johnamus
05-04-2006, 06:01 PM
Yeah, I'm not all that good at starting off a story, but I can sure as heck end one.

Yes.
Here's an idea, fresh off my brain:
[black screen with text, or variable background]
In a time of chaos, it takes a lot of guts to do what my friend did. But he saved the world from being engulfed in darkness. His name was <insert name here>, and at the young age of <young age>, he was the first to do so. The story is a <adjective> one, but exciting nonetheless.

Then go to a screen where the link is hiding behind a wall from some moblins, saying: Moblin: Haha! Let's see that brat get it this time!

Link solves a simple block puzzle to get the sword, and you can do the rest.

Nimono
05-04-2006, 08:05 PM
Yes.
Here's an idea, fresh off my brain:
[black screen with text, or variable background]
In a time of chaos, it takes a lot of guts to do what my friend did. But he saved the world from being engulfed in darkness. His name was <insert name here>, and at the young age of <young age>, he was the first to do so. The story is a <adjective> one, but exciting nonetheless.

Then go to a screen where the link is hiding behind a wall from some moblins, saying: Moblin: Haha! Let's see that brat get it this time!

Link solves a simple block puzzle to get the sword, and you can do the rest.
That's one weird story. Especially since it has Link acting like a coward. Everyone knows that Link isn't afraid of much of anything, and usually the stories start out with NO monsters...

Sir_Johnamus
05-04-2006, 09:58 PM
Yes, but he can't do much without a sword, according to zc's engine.

Nimono
05-05-2006, 04:27 PM
Yes, but he can't do much without a sword, according to zc's engine.
That doesn't mean we should portray him as a coward until he has a sword...

ShadowTiger
05-05-2006, 04:58 PM
Try to work it in that the land is at peace, and for seemingly no apparent reason, the Temple of Light high atop Spectacle Rock begins to crumble and shake, and is transformed into ruins, while the lands nearby are turned to ash. The rest of the world, I don't even care about. :p Work in the Temple of Evil equivalent to the Temple of Light. You'll be warping between the two (Nearly Identical) locations all through out Level 3, so...

Nimono
05-05-2006, 05:07 PM
Try to work it in that the land is at peace, and for seemingly no apparent reason, the Temple of Light high atop Spectacle Rock begins to crumble and shake, and is transformed into ruins, while the lands nearby are turned to ash. The rest of the world, I don't even care about. :p Work in the Temple of Evil equivalent to the Temple of Light. You'll be warping between the two (Nearly Identical) locations all through out Level 3, so...
Now that's just mean. Why wouldn't you care about the rest of Hyrule? But that's besinde the point... So, what all do you have planned for the story?

ShadowTiger
05-05-2006, 06:06 PM
Why is it "Mean?" :odd: It's as objectively settled as any other quest's town or overworld would be. It doesn't *need* to change. It never did. The Temple of Light has been corrupted and made impure by Ganon(dorf)'s evil influence in an attempt to return to Hyrule to .. well, .. you know, .. return. :p Link now needs to Purify the Temple, and can only do so by enlisting the three powers of the Triforce. You'd need to borrow the power of the Triforce Of Wisdom, (Forest Temple.) Power, (Death Mountain.) and Courage (The Temple Of Light.) to seal the rift between Hyrule and Ganondorf's world yet again.

Nimono
05-05-2006, 06:09 PM
Why is it "Mean?" :odd: It's as objectively settled as any other quest's town or overworld would be. It doesn't *need* to change. It never did. The Temple of Light has been corrupted and made impure by Ganon(dorf)'s evil influence in an attempt to return to Hyrule to .. well, .. you know, .. return. :p Link now needs to Purify the Temple, and can only do so by enlisting the three powers of the Triforce. You'd need to borrow the power of the Triforce Of Wisdom, (Forest Temple.) Power, (Death Mountain.) and Courage (The Temple Of Light.) to seal the rift between Hyrule and Ganondorf's world yet again.
Oh, okay. It just seemed to me like you were supposed to ignore all other parts of Hyruyle because you hated them. I guess you just didn't want that area affected... yet...

ShadowTiger
05-05-2006, 06:12 PM
Well how COULD it be affected? I mean, the rift is only contained in the mountains in and around the Temple of Light, as well as the temple itself. (The temple still stands in all its glory, though somewhat "rubbled." It'll be enemy-less, but will contain locked doors and such, and numerous portals back and forth from the Temple of Evil equivalent in Ganondorf's world.)

So I don't see any reason to alter the overworld. There's just nothing to alter it as.

Nimono
05-05-2006, 06:16 PM
Well how COULD it be affected? I mean, the rift is only contained in the mountains in and around the Temple of Light, as well as the temple itself. (The temple still stands in all its glory, though somewhat "rubbled." It'll be enemy-less, but will contain locked doors and such, and numerous portals back and forth from the Temple of Evil equivalent in Ganondorf's world.)

So I don't see any reason to alter the overworld. There's just nothing to alter it as.
But wouldn't the rift eventually change the rest of the world? So, Link appears to stop him before it xan get that far? Or does the rift work REALLY slow?

ShadowTiger
05-05-2006, 06:35 PM
Well, note how Link never sleeps. :p Thus, we can generally somehow "assume" that his whole adventure is taking place in whatever real time Hyrule experiences. :p

So no, it won't spread. It's spread enough as it is.

Nimono
05-05-2006, 06:39 PM
Well, note how Link never sleeps. :p Thus, we can generally somehow "assume" that his whole adventure is taking place in whatever real time Hyrule experiences. :p

So no, it won't spread. It's spread enough as it is.
If Link never sleeps, why is he asleep at the start of A Link to the Past and The Minish Cap?

ShadowTiger
05-05-2006, 06:47 PM
Somehow, I don't think that relates to NeoFirst.

TMC / ALTTP != NeoFirst / ZC.

Nimono
05-05-2006, 06:53 PM
Somehow, I don't think that relates to NeoFirst.

TMC / ALTTP != NeoFirst / ZC.
What's the exclamation point for?

I was just trying to state a point... I guess I shouldn't be too concerened with the SMALL stuff, like that rift you're talking about. Hey, I just thought of something. Are any of the dungeons going to have multiple floors? That seems to be common in most quests, and it'd be a good way to show off the multiple warps in stairs, escalators, or even elevators!

ShadowTiger
05-05-2006, 07:04 PM
As far as I know, I'm -hoping- that L1 will have multiple floors. Rakki is covering L2, and I've seen the maps, and they don't. L1's floors are individually as large as L2's floors, (Imagine a teardrop-shaped floor.) ... etc. I think L3 will have some too.

The != means "Is not equal to" in a few programming languages.

Nimono
05-05-2006, 07:11 PM
As far as I know, I'm -hoping- that L1 will have multiple floors. Rakki is covering L2, and I've seen the maps, and they don't. L1's floors are individually as large as L2's floors, (Imagine a teardrop-shaped floor.) ... etc. I think L3 will have some too.

The != means "Is not equal to" in a few programming languages.
Thanks for telling me about that exclamation point. Now I won't have to ask again the next time I see it. So, how do you plan on letting people go up/down floors? Are you going to do it like it OoT to get to the basement of the Forest Temple in that you take an elevator, or are you going to stick with stairs? I'd like to see the elevator, since you'd be bale to show Link actually going down it... Escalators are fun too, but you'd have to make sure people don't go down an UP Escalator... Maybe you could make an extra "dungeon" (okay, building) that you could put escalators in. That's what I'd like to see in NeoFirst: Elevators and Escalators.

ShadowTiger
05-05-2006, 07:14 PM
Last I checked, forest temples don't have elevators nor escalators. ;)

Nimono
05-05-2006, 07:22 PM
Last I checked, forest temples don't have elevators nor escalators. ;)
Well, in OoT, after defeating the Poe Sisters, the elevator (it's like a wooden box) in the main room rises. At least, my player's guide calls it an elevator. I'm not talking about a MODERN elevator, though. It can be made to fit the Forest Temple...

Sir_Johnamus
05-05-2006, 09:29 PM
Let's call it a magic transport box!
How about, using the RSCOs, we could make it where when you activate a thing in a room, the elevator to a different floor in another room becomes active?

Nimono
05-05-2006, 09:32 PM
Let's call it a magic transport box!
How about, using the RSCOs, we could make it where when you activate a thing in a room, the elevator to a different floor in another room becomes active?
Yeah, magic transport box. Gee, that sounds SO creative. Sorry about the sarcasm. I couldn't resist. I'm not sure if we should have to "activate" any elevators by Room State Carryovers. Since there's now TWO types of Normal Key, we can have the regular key (Key (Normal)) be a "special" key that unlocks certain things, but in this case, it's the Elevator/Lift key (lift is a better word for the thing in OoT's Forest Temple), and touching the slot to put it in will open the elevator/lift! The key could look like a normal key or a Card Key, whichever you want.

CJC
05-05-2006, 09:53 PM
Well, ST just gave a definite 'No' to my burning forest idea, so there really isn't anything else to say in this thread.

It would have been easier to accomplish in a chapter-based quest, but that's not what Neofirst is about.
Please don't steal the idea, though. I'll use it in a quest when the next version gets released.