PDA

View Full Version : So it's 3am and....

biggiy05
05-02-2006, 03:28 AM
I had a nice phone call from my grandma telling me the fire alarm on the security was going off. 15 minutes and a whole search of the house and it's 20 freaking rooms later I am now wide awake and can't fall back asleep.

Sooooo lets make a topic out of sheer boredem.

What are people's phobias? Everyone has at least one whether they want to admit it or not.

I used to really hate heights and rollercoasters that went upside down. That changed over christmas break of 05. My fear of heights has gone away over the years and now it doesn't bother me in the least. Granted that if someone is holding me upside down from the empire state building I think I am going to be a tad worried.

The phobia taht bothers me the most that I doubt will ever go away is losing my friends and family that I am closest too. Yeah death happens to all of us but nobody ever said it was easy. and not being able to save someones life because of a fire, car accident, health problem, or whatever it is. It could be a toddler, a 16 year old who wrapped his or her car around a pole or tree, or it could be a guy in his 70's. As hard as it is to put an IV into anyone who is old and has poor veins I still don't want to think about them dying on my watch.

The other one that doesn't bother me as much on the surface as it does deep down is losing a patient or a victim in a car accident, fire, shooting, whatever it is. Trying to save someones life and only getting a flat line isn't something that you can just brush off. You get over it but that was a person who probably had a family and friends. You deal with it and over time it doesn't bother you as much.

I don't want to say you learn to block it out because you can't. You just have to keep going and not let it bog you down or think about it all the time.

Darth Marsden
05-02-2006, 04:08 AM
You're a doctor?

I think the only thing I'm really afraid of is doing nothing with my life. I want to be somebody, but at the rate I'm going, I don't think that's gonna happen. Eep.

ShadowTiger
05-02-2006, 09:13 AM
... ... Same. Sort of. I need to unlock something before I can really get going with life...

Many of my biggest fears stem from situations where I'm forced to introduce myself verbally to one or more people; or even worse, to an entire room, or electronically where they can't see my face but only hear my voice. I was born without the same ability to speak most people are. If I try to speak too hard, my throat "locks" and I stop breathing. It's not something people have an easy time believing, and they take their own abilities to speak for granted so are barely even open to the possibility that someone could live like this, ... much less be introduced to such a concept under operational principles like being forced to speak with me. :p

I'll admit though, it's brought a number of other possible fears into a whole new light. As far as I'm concerned, if I didn't have this "disability," I'd tackle the world a thousand times over. If you can't speak, you're forced to listen. You'd be surprised at what you can hear when your mouth is shut. ;)

As for other fears, I -don't- have a fear of heights, and I'd gladly do backflips over the rooftops of buildings, ... if I knew how to do a backflip, that is. I'm somewhat afraid of being alone, only because I tend to favor the concept of "strength in numbers" for self defense purposes. That should be common sense though. > >.

Aegix Drakan
05-02-2006, 09:47 AM
@ biggiy: I think everyone is afraid of losing a loved one. deep down that is probably our biggest fear.

@ DM: I believe Biggiy is a fireman.

@Shadowtiger: rofl. YOU, afraid of speaking to large groups? 0_o? wow. I never expected that...but hey it's understandable. I used to be the same. I was really shy, and I was afraid to talk lest I look like an idiot. For the last year, I've been coming out of my shell, and AGN has been a great help. Before, people used to tell me to speak up, and now they tell me I talk to much! :laughing: Don't let it get to ya Shadowtiger.

My phobia? um...I guess death...especially if I'm innocent and I'm off'd by the government or something (my near death dreams coming true :scared: ).
I'm also freaked out by bees and wasps, but I'm working on that.

I'm also afraid of dying, then COMING BACK as a zombie. :scared: but that's not likely to happen, so no big problem. :p

ShadowTiger
05-02-2006, 10:03 AM
@ biggiy: I think everyone is afraid of losing a loved one. deep down that is probably our biggest fear.This, like all things, .. you get used to. =/ I'm not going to tell you the number of people in my life that have died since 2002. I can tell you it's not in the single digits though.

I'm also freaked out by bees and wasps, but I'm working on that.Heh. XD You and me both. :p (And a few others, I'm quite sure.) As Lilith's brother had once said, "Bees can suck my cock! >:-( " .. .. I then proceeded to mentally ponder, "Well if bees can do that, no wonder you're so afraid of them! They must be some pretty damn big bees!

@Shadowtiger: rofl. YOU, afraid of speaking to large groups? 0_o? wow. I never expected that...but hey it's understandable. I used to be the same. I was really shy, and I was afraid to talk lest I look like an idiot. For the last year, I've been coming out of my shell, and AGN has been a great help. Before, people used to tell me to speak up, and now they tell me I talk to much! Don't let it get to ya Shadowtiger.Well, not so much afraid that I'll make myself look stupid or that I'll stammer, but that I'll die. :p Thanks. (Reread the post.)

moocow
05-02-2006, 10:06 AM
I'm afraid of everything. Spiders, centipedes (thanks Lilith, lol), grasshoppers/crickets/frogs/toads, animals that hang from the celing, old people (when I say old, I mean, decrepid/half dead), the dark, being alone, silence, deep water (I can't swim very well), ponds/lakes (if I can't see the bottom, I'm not going in), losing Bladen, and probably some others.

I'm a wimp.

However, I'm not afraid of heights, plane rides, speaking in public or things like that.

Aegix Drakan
05-02-2006, 12:14 PM
"Well if bees can do that, no wonder you're so afraid of them! They must be some pretty damn big bees!

(explodes from laughing)

Well, not so much afraid that I'll make myself look stupid or that I'll stammer, but that I'll die.

Maybe I'm just not understanding oyu right. you are so arfaid of speaking in public that your throat locks up? That IS pretty bad. Any idea why, though?I hope you eventually get over it.

and personally, I'm only afraid of the dark if I'm in a dangerous situation. I like to see where the danger is coming from, thank you very much.

OH! funny story: I have a friend who is aracnophopic (sp? He's scared shit of spiders) We were having having an overnight Gaming party, and there were I believe 6 of us there. suddenly, he yells something incoherent and points at the wall, where this large spider was resting. one of my friends leaves the room, comes back witha VACUUM CLEANER, and sucks up the spider. then he looks inside the pipe and yells. my arachnophobic buddy almost jumped throught the ceiling. :rolleyes: good times...good times...

biggiy05
05-02-2006, 12:19 PM
You're a doctor?

Finishing out school to get my paramedic license and working on a few certifications in firefighting.

moocow
05-02-2006, 01:28 PM
Maybe I'm just not understanding oyu right. you are so arfaid of speaking in public that your throat locks up? That IS pretty bad. Any idea why, though?I hope you eventually get over it.

*sigh*

Read his post a little more closely. He physically cannot speak. Not because he's afraid, just because he is inable to. He said that if he tries to hard to speak, his throat will lock up and he'll stop breathing. Ever cry so hard that your throat feels like it's closing? I'm thinking it's probably close to being like that. Overworking the muscles, is my guess (am I right, ST?) I doubt he'll ever get over it without some sort of surgery, if there even is any (not sure?).

Aegix Drakan
05-02-2006, 01:31 PM
oh...

I didn't realize that was what he meant...sorry ST! (whacks himself over the head for being so dense.) also, I just realized that I mis-read one of the lines is his post...(double whacks himself)

Archibaldo
05-02-2006, 01:41 PM
Meh the only real phobia I have, is the fear of needles. I hate needles and getting stung/bitten by something. I don't know. Maybe it's there's something about having an inch of metal being pushed into my body and injecting a liquid into my veins.

Aegix Drakan
05-02-2006, 01:44 PM
>_< how could I forget my fear of needles? I am as terrified of them as you are Achibaldo. I almost beat the shit out of adoctor when I was ten, because he was giving me a vaccine.

biggiy05
05-02-2006, 02:31 PM
Meh the only real phobia I have, is the fear of needles. I hate needles and getting stung/bitten by something. I don't know. Maybe it's there's something about having an inch of metal being pushed into my body and injecting a liquid into my veins.

I had my chest reconstructed in February of 2001. I had so many needles pushed into my veins to have blood drawn and then I had to either let my dad give me something like 2 liters of blood or I could put my own out in case they needed it for my surgery. Don't know if they used it but I ended up doing it my self. When you are stuck with over 50 needles in a 3 month period you get used to it. After seeing possibly one of the biggest needles ever the little bit of fear that I had for them dissappeared.

Two hospital visits and who knows how many Iv's and vials of blood drawn later it doesn't even phase me. Pinches especially at the wrist but that's it.

Verman
05-02-2006, 03:20 PM
I am afraid of fear itself.

gdorf
05-02-2006, 04:39 PM
I hate dentists. I know its not original, but they freak me out so bad.

moocow
05-02-2006, 04:53 PM
I don't like gynocologists. They are SO not fun.

firefly
05-02-2006, 04:56 PM
I simply hate needles and heights.

ShadowTiger
05-02-2006, 05:10 PM
I simply hate needles and heights.Then you should certainly hate having a stalactite fall onto your head. :p ... don't ask.

I am afraid of fear itself.When you stare at fear, fear wets itself and asks for its momma!! You git er boy!

Two hospital visits and who knows how many Iv's and vials of blood drawn later it doesn't even phase me. Pinches especially at the wrist but that's it.Yeah, same. The more pain you're subjected to, the less painful everything else becomes. I had surgery 'round November 2002 to fix something, and the anaesthetic kicked in after the operation. Fun.

He physically cannot speak. Not because he's afraid, just because he is inable to. He said that if he tries to hard to speak, his throat will lock up and he'll stop breathing. Ever cry so hard that your throat feels like it's closing? I'm thinking it's probably close to being like that. Overworking the muscles, is my guess (am I right, ST?) I doubt he'll ever get over it without some sort of surgery, if there even is any (not sure?).Not so much that I can't speak, ... as I CAN, but it's so very easy (and random.) for my throat to just close on its own, where I begin to appear to go into convulsions, which are actually just the "surprise" of having what I was trying to say block up on me, .. then trying to free it, etc. If I try too hard though, the muscles lock, and I can't breathe. Since I'm technically not a mute, I'm not entitled to one of those cool whiteboards and magic markers. :p That'd rule if I could carry around one of those.

Lilith
05-02-2006, 05:36 PM
I'm afraid of giving blood. I'm not afraid of needles, or shots, or bleeding, but the thought of something being inserted into my vein and draining my blood out scares the crap out of me. That and I passed out/had a seizure/shock the last time I had one. Yeah good times. Feeling pulse also really creeps me out. I don't know why, but when I was little in gym we'd have to take our pulse and I'd always fake it because if I pressed mine for too long I'd start panicking. Idk.

Other than that, my biggest is emetophobia, fear of puking. This can take over my life sometimes unfortunately, and overlap into a fear of swallowing/germs etc so I have trouble eating occasionally. I'm also afraid of large, undivided spaces (it's the opposite of claustrophobia, but not agoraphobia because that just means fear of going outside) like the open sky or deep water, especially if I can't see the bottom. That's not a huge phobia, just creepy. Bees, and centipedes. Old people. Etc. My only real severe phobia is emet, and possibly bees and centipedes (I panic like a little kid when I see them).

I'm also afraid of losing time (i've never had an operation, I'm insanely scared of them because of that) and having someone close to me die. I don't know if I could handle that.