PDA

View Full Version : Computer Problem

Flash Man
05-02-2006, 12:00 AM
I have run into quite the baffling computer problem on a customer's computer. The computer's hardware is all intact, and is running Windows XP Professional SP2. It has Copper.Net Dial Up for it's ISP and makes use of the high speed proxy.

The problem occurs when going to hotmail.com and attempting to log in, while using Internet Explorer 6. After typing in the correct e-mail, password, and submitting the form it then forwards you back to the page where you type in your e-mail and password once again, instead of going to your inbox. Strangely enough typing in a random e-mail and password results in a not found in database, the obvious. It has no problem receiving e-mail through a client such as Outlook or Thunderbird.

The computer has been virus scanned with the current Avast! software on it, and checked for spyware with Spy Bot. I have also ran miscellaneous tools found on Merijn's web site. I also set everything back to default in Internet Explorer's security settings and advanced settings in hopes to finding something set wrong to cause such a problem.

First I eliminated the obvious question can I submit forms by googling something. The plain form on google worked just fine. I then checked to see if hotmail was the only problem. I tried logging on through Copper.Net web mail and it had the same problem. Afterwards I also tried to log into my gmail account. As soon as I went to click on Sign In it IMMEDIATELY went to a page not found page. I suspect that the problem has something to do with a secure connection, since the Sign In page is an https page.

I have yet to test another browser on the computer, and I have not rebuilt Windows. I thought that rebuilding Windows is an option, and if that would not work then building a new Windows would fix it up just as well, however I decided to post here to find out if anyone knew of any such problem with Internet Explorer and how to fix it without rebuilding. I am going to test a second browser and see if I can get it to work, as well as connecting on my Comcast cable to see if that makes any difference.

vegeta1215
05-02-2006, 12:40 AM
Yeah...my first suggestion was going to be to test everything using a second browser.

Another thing is to check if your system clock is set correctly. Mine got messed up and set to some date like 100 years from now, and because of it I couldn't sign into any secure sites (that use https) because my browsers thought all the certificates from the sites were expired. I tried several things before realizing that this was the problem.

Flash Man
05-03-2006, 08:33 PM
Suprisingly enough, by bringing it home and logging onto hotmail with my Comcast Internet, I had absolutely no problem. From what my experience tells me, the Copper.net High Speed Proxy has something to do with the problem. This does not make much sense though, because hotmail has worked before with the proxy. I figure that I am going to e-mail Copper.Net and find out if they know any solution for this.