PDA

View Full Version : Question for ze more advanced users

lackluster
05-01-2006, 12:28 PM
I've seen several quests where data in the quest changes at certain points in the game. For example, the player would beat say Level 3, and come back to a village he was previously at and the people say different things and the village even looks different. How is this done?

Thanks much in advance.

ShadowTiger
05-01-2006, 12:41 PM
This is done via events. Essentially, you've got two level numbers being the same. (There's a piece of the path toward that village that looks the same as the others, but is warped to (And Is on a different Dmap with another Level number as another dungeon.) so you can side scroll to an identical copy of the Town, but people say different things on that copy.)

The boss flag, (Press F12 in ZQuest. It's on the bottom of that list of checkboxes.) looks to see if all enemies are killed. If they are, it makes sure all enemies in that room stay dead, as well as those in any other rooms with the boss flag checked. It kills those enemies too if you kill all the enemies in one room with the flag checked. Kill all in one room, and they ALL die in all the other rooms in that same level number (Quest-->Dmap-->Level number, upper right corner.).

You can use this to your advantage by checking the "Enemies-->Secret" flag on the screens you want changed from afar. Put the "Trigger" enemy somewhere on the screen, (It's an invisible, invincible, and completely intangible enemy only killable with the "Kill All Enemies" item or via the Boss Flag thing described above.) Also activate the "No Secret Sounds" flag if you'd like, so people don't know they've triggered a secret when they walk onto that screen.

Scatter direct warp combos hidden all over the floor (Under a layer that looks like the floor. Layer 1 or 2, specifically, to hide the warp combos.) and make them trigger only when the enemies are dead. (Which the Enemies-->Secret screen flag accomplishes.)

Then, you'd warp to the identical screen which leads to the other copy of the town with the different conversation choices and such.

lackluster
05-01-2006, 12:50 PM
That's brilliant. I think I get it. So at least one screen has the "Enemies-->Secret " checked, so when in another room of the same supposed level all the enemies are killed, it also kills the enemy on that screen, activates the secret, which is to turn the floor into direct warps at one place that you have to walk on. That is, if the boss flag box is checked on both screens. Is that right?

rocksfan13
05-01-2006, 01:03 PM
Yup. You got it. Make sure you test it to make sure it works.

lackluster
05-01-2006, 01:08 PM
Great. Yeah, I can't wait to test it. Link's Grandma's garden will finally be growing something. ;D

Thanks a lot for the help. I may be back if my test goes awry. ;p