PDA

View Full Version : City of Heroes

goKi
04-29-2006, 10:33 PM
I'm a year or two late, but i finally decided to pick up and try CoH. I got a good deal from EBgames, the full version game, plus 2 months extra for less than the cost of game itself.

First question is, does anyone here play, and if so, what servers should i start on?

Second question is, just how much better is City of Villains? I realise i probably got CoH so cheap because of the new version, but what exactly (other than biang able to play as a villain) has been added?

gdorf
04-29-2006, 11:12 PM
I tried it out when it first started, but it was pretty lame. I think it just wasn't developed enough for launch. It didn't seem to have enough depth.

That said, if anyone wants my account, just lemme know. Its yours as long as you'll put it to good use.

goKi
04-29-2006, 11:24 PM
They've added alot over the last nearly 2 years, though, is my understanding.

gdorf
04-30-2006, 12:31 AM
Thats what I've heard, too. It had a lot of potential, so if they've capitalized on that I'm sure its a lot of fun now.

I just don't have any time for an mmorpg now. Maybe I'll try to pick it up in the summer. :shrug:

goKi
04-30-2006, 07:22 PM
I've yet to actually start playing yet, since the updater is running painfully slow. It hardly goes above 15kb/s, and for 1.1gb, that's alot of waiting.

AlexMax
05-01-2006, 12:04 AM
City of Heroes/Villians was decently interesting for it's charactor creation system. The number of players needed to beat an instanced mission depends on how many people and what level you bring to the party. If you like shallow extuses for 8 players beating the crap out of a ton of NPCs, then it's great. It's certainly soloable. Just not any fun that way.

Two problems I had with it. One was that the missions got boring and repetative really fast and there's not a whole bunch of other fun you can find in the game, except for situational comedy with costumes. (One of my guildmates was a villian who was a robot mastermind who looked suspiciously like Dr. Wiley. He ran into someone who looked like Mega Man, and the ensuing funny was just that...funny) Second was that I realized that I still had a game (http://www.guildwars.com/) that offered much more interesting and fun PvE missions, excillent PvP and no monthly fee. If you can't be arsed to click the link, I'll give you a hint, it's published by the same company, NCSoft.

EDIT: To address your last question, I'm not really sure, but from casual over-the-shoulder watching of my friend playing CoH, the storyline missions and areas in CoV are much more interesting and fleshed out, and the general concensus is that Villians is the better of the two at the moment.

goKi
05-06-2006, 07:31 PM
I've been playing all this week, and really enjoying it. I might go up to CoV once i'm done with this.

My hero has the best name ever
http://www.gerudo.net/goki/hero.jpg