PDA

View Full Version : SMB Classic

torquate
04-27-2006, 02:28 PM
Has anyone around here thought of making a Super Mario Brothers Classic? That would be awesome.

Nimono
04-27-2006, 02:34 PM
Has anyone around here thought of making a Super Mario Brothers Classic? That would be awesome.
There was a thread around here somewhere about this same thing, and it mentioned that someone TRIED to make it, but couldn't.

rocksfan13
04-27-2006, 02:39 PM
Without the jump feature, it's not possible.

Gerudo
04-27-2006, 02:42 PM
get a clue, rocksfan...

the only project that was known in recent memory is long since defunct. there is a mario type game called MARIO FOREVER that has all original levels and uses the All-Stars graphics, as well has original music in addition to the original smb music. search download.com, and the size is about 22mb.

koopa
04-27-2006, 03:28 PM
I've thought of it, but ... there'd be work involved :(

As Gerudo said, Mario Forever is a good (imo, the best) mario clone out there but try to get an older version as the new 3.xx ones come with adware.

If you want to make your own, there's SMW (super mario war) with complete soucre code to look at and the author has also made a jump'n'run game programming tutorial. All you need is skills in C++ and SDL (graphics library).

rocksfan13
04-27-2006, 04:08 PM
I thought he was refering to making it in ZC. My bad.

Strider1982
04-27-2006, 04:21 PM
would be interesting, but would take a huge load of programming.

there's already mario game clones where you can make your own levels out there somewhere...

(wow, my first post in 4 months!)

Rakki
04-27-2006, 06:07 PM
I actually don't find a SMB Classic to be necessary, like Zelda Classic is, because rom hacking is easy, for SMB. Heck, there's even SMW rom hacking programs, so that makes a SM Classic REALLY unnecessary. :p

Nicholas Steel
04-27-2006, 10:07 PM
koopa, if you have windows xp... download [completely free to download] windows defender v2 beta ... install mario forever v3.51

once install is finished have a look at windows defender and check out the changes made... and undo those related to the adware that was installed.

simple.

koopa
04-28-2006, 02:37 PM
Thanks franpa, I have my own way of dealing with adware though. I assure you none of the bad stuff got on my computer. Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else wants to download mario forever.

Nicholas Steel
04-28-2006, 06:29 PM
anyone who has a brain (aka: not me [j/k]) would use a real-time anti-spyware program while they are on the internet... and a real-time virus scanner.

Rakki
04-28-2006, 06:34 PM
anyone who has money would use a real-time anti-spyware program while they are on the internet... and a real-time virus scanner.
Fixed your quote. Since, I haven't been able to find any free active spyware OR virus scanners anywhere.

Exdeath
04-30-2006, 03:57 AM
Fixed your quote. Since, I haven't been able to find any free active spyware OR virus scanners anywhere.

Free Antivirus
http://free.grisoft.com

Free Antispyware
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

Both are active, realtime programs. FYI

Nicholas Steel
04-30-2006, 04:04 AM
hint hint... windows defender v2 beta is free...

cbailey78
04-30-2006, 04:07 PM
IMHO, Rom hacking isn't that user friendly, plus, you can't add blocks or enemies to a level.

Rakki
04-30-2006, 11:02 PM
Maybe not block TYPES, but you certainly can add blocks to the level, and enemies. I forget what the program is called, but it's quite comprehensive. Although, I kind of wonder if anything will EVER be able to top Lunar Magic, the hacker for Super Mario World. It can add new TYPES of blocks, add entire new levels to the game, add new types of enemies (although it's pretty much just a duplicate of another enemy, only, with different graphics), new power-ups (although that kind of requires some hex editing)... Yeah. But yeah, the best SMB rom hacker I've seen could add and remove enemies and question blocks.

Nimono
05-01-2006, 04:22 PM
Maybe not block TYPES, but you certainly can add blocks to the level, and enemies. I forget what the program is called, but it's quite comprehensive. Although, I kind of wonder if anything will EVER be able to top Lunar Magic, the hacker for Super Mario World. It can add new TYPES of blocks, add entire new levels to the game, add new types of enemies (although it's pretty much just a duplicate of another enemy, only, with different graphics), new power-ups (although that kind of requires some hex editing)... Yeah. But yeah, the best SMB rom hacker I've seen could add and remove enemies and question blocks.
I'm using Lunar Magic, but I can't seem to get those Star Roads to work. I can warp, but when I warp to the next area, I can't move along the path I set.

metroidcb
05-01-2006, 05:22 PM
**OBVIOUS SPAM ATTEMPT BELOW **

It COULD be made with my Metroid Classic engine that I will be releasing this week (in ALPHA..lol).

I am converting my source to DLL's this week. The engine uses ID3DXSprite for some fast DirectX sprites (using 3D hardware).

Just check out my sig for details.

cbmeeks

Limzo
05-06-2006, 09:48 AM
I thought about doing such a thing but I am not old enough nor do I currently have enough programming skills to do so.