PDA

View Full Version : Tower to be Rebuilt

rocksfan13
04-27-2006, 11:08 AM
Did anybody else read the news?

I just read the plans to rebuild the world trade center have been accepted.
It's gonna cost over $11 billion to build and they're building it in the same place.
They're calling it the Freedom Tower. It's expected to be finished by 2011.
Does anybody else think this could just be another target?

moocow
04-27-2006, 11:21 AM
I think it shouldn't be built, and the money it's going to cost to build it should go to the families who are still struggling to pay bills and rent and LIVE after losing loved ones in the attack. Its sad how there are so many people in this country who are struggling to survive and living paycheck to paycheck, yet we can somehow pull $11billion out of our ass to rebuild a tower that should just be left as is as a memorial.

rocksfan13
04-27-2006, 11:27 AM
I think it shouldn't be built, and the money it's going to cost to build it should go to the families who are still struggling to pay bills and rent and LIVE after losing loved ones in the attack. Its sad how there are so many people in this country who are struggling to survive and living paycheck to paycheck, yet we can somehow pull $11billion out of our ass to rebuild a tower that should just be left as is as a memorial.

I couldn't agree with you more. I'm just concerned that when they rebuild this thing the same thing will happen again.
Kinda like the saying "Those that forget the past are doomed to repeat it."

ShadowTiger
04-27-2006, 11:29 AM
Does anybody else think this could just be another target?Another Target? Anything could be a target. Hell, I'm amazed they haven't bombed Wall Street, considering how obviously important it is to the world. :odd:

I don't really have anything useful or insightful to say, so I'll just wish them luck in the construction, and perhaps stop by one day to see how things go. (I'm like, 30 or so miles from them...)

I think it shouldn't be built, and the money it's going to cost to build it should go to the families who are still struggling to pay bills and rent and LIVE after losing loved ones in the attack. Its sad how there are so many people in this country who are struggling to survive and living paycheck to paycheck, yet we can somehow pull $11billion out of our ass to rebuild a tower that should just be left as is as a memorial.I wubu moo. :D My thoughts exactly. One of the only useful things I can see coming out of this is the addition of a few more jobs. Other than that, it's just not worth it.

Aegix Drakan
04-27-2006, 11:44 AM
It just goes to show how arrogant the US government can be.

They think they're telling the world "oh look! you can't scare us!" when the message they're really sending is "Oh look! our pride is more important than our people!"

IMHO, they should turn it into a memorial park or something.

[EDIT] it's at times like this when I am proud to be Canadian.

Orion
04-27-2006, 11:51 AM
Considering how much the land it's on is worth, it's really stupid not to have something built there. It's good for business and the economy of NYC, which would then help the entire city instead of just those families. I feel bad for them, but why is it that people think they should be handed money on a silver platter whenever something bad happens? It's the same deal as with the hurricanes. As far as people targeting it again, methinks you are all too paranoid. I don't think they'd do the same thing twice. Probably something a bit more original. Hijacking planes is so 2001.

Let us hope that day never comes, however.

teddyboy420
04-27-2006, 01:11 PM
They should definately rebuild it. Bigger and better than before. As someone who lost family and a friend that died in the towers on 9/11 I don't think ANY expense should be spared to rebuild them.

For the people saying they shouldn't rebuild and leave it as a memorial....well, the new tower itself will be the memorial. And personally I don't think there could be any better memorial than the tallest building in the world. Besides the tower itself though there will be a memorial built in the WTC square with the names of people that were lost, at least last I heard they were still putting the names of those lost there.

The person that said the 11billion that is going to rebuild shows how ignorant our goverment is, b/c there are people living paycheck to paycheck or poor people in the streets....well this is America. It's a capatilist society, you get out what you put in. If you're suggesting that some of that money go to them, well that isn't right either. Yes, our society should be helping people in need, and we are, there are many programs and much money set aside for people down on thier luck or what have you. But what you are suggesting shounds more than a little communistic, where everyone works for the good of everyone else instead of themselves. It may sound nice and ideal in writing, but in practise it is nothing but oppressive and unfair to everyone. Our government may not be perfect, and god knows our President is a selfish jerk that is so far out of touch with the people of this country it isn't funny, but it is still a great country and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Sorry, back in topic....

Even if I hadn't lost people on 9/11 I would still think it should rebuilt. See, I live in NJ so it would have hit close to him anyway. And you don't understand, seeing that gaping hole in the NYC skyline is nothing but a tribute to the terrorists. It needs to be built to defy those scumbags and show them that they can't bully Americans into submission. If it wasn't rebuilt it would be sending a message to the people that did it that they can win and get something over us by doing such things.

edit: Aegix, I am glad you are proud to be Canadian. National pride is an important thing, and that is why the tower is being built. Americans are very proud people, it is important that we send a message that we can't be held down by pschyopaths that are misinterpretting the peacful messages of thier religion, or anyone else. And in no way is rebuilding sending a message that our pride is more important that our people, but pride is important and so are our people. Without the hard work of the people there would be no America. And the huge majority of Americans are very comfortable, yes some are down on thier luck but as I said, there are many social programs and money to be found for them if they look. You would feel very differently I think if some nuts crashed planes into your monuments.

rocksfan13
04-27-2006, 01:20 PM
I'm all for the rebuilding. I would just hate to see another 9/11. What's to say that putting this one up isn't going to become a bigger target than the last?

teddyboy420
04-27-2006, 01:22 PM
I'm all for the rebuilding. I would just hate to see another 9/11. What's to say that putting this one up isn't going to become a bigger target than the last?

You're right, and it probably will be a target for them. Hopefully by the time it is finished we will have rooted them out and dealt with them. We can't live in fear or they have won.

moocow
04-27-2006, 01:25 PM
For the people saying they shouldn't rebuild and leave it as a memorial....well, the new tower itself will be the memorial. And personally I don't think there could be any better memorial than the tallest building in the world. Besides the tower itself though there will be a memorial built in the WTC square with the names of people that were lost, at least last I heard they were still putting the names of those lost there.

The person that said the 11billion that is going to rebuild shows how ignorant our goverment is, b/c there are people living paycheck to paycheck or poor people in the streets....well this is America. It's a capatilist society, you get out what you put in. If you're suggesting that some of that money go to them, well that isn't right either. Yes, our society should be helping people in need, and we are, there are many programs and much money set aside for people down on thier luck or what have you. But what you are suggesting shounds more than a little communistic, where everyone works for the good of everyone else instead of themselves. It may sound nice and ideal in writing, but in practise it is nothing but oppressive and unfair to everyone. Our government may not be perfect, and god knows our President is a selfish jerk that is so far out of touch with the people of this country it isn't funny, but it is still a great country and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Sorry, back in topic....

Even if I hadn't lost people on 9/11 I would still think it should rebuilt. See, I live in NJ so it would have hit close to him anyway. And you don't understand, seeing that gaping hole in the NYC skyline is nothing but a tribute to the terrorists. It needs to be built to defy those scumbags and show them that they can't bully Americans into submission. If it wasn't rebuilt it would be sending a message to the people that did it that they can win and get something over us by doing such things.

I didn't mean for it to sound like we should give all of the money to the families. I guess I couldn't think of a way to word it. It's just hard knowing that my grandparents are struggling and my parents sometimes struggle, as do I, and there's $11 billion coming out of no where to build a tower. After reading your post, I do think it would be better to build something there, so I can agree with you on that, I just wish I didn't cost so much money.

Now, I'm kind of stupid when it comes to this, but how do things like this get paid for? Will there be more taxes taken out on the people in NY or are there other ways?

rocksfan13
04-27-2006, 01:31 PM
I can imagine that the poor people of the good 'ol US of A will foot the bill on this one. Yay.:shakeno:

teddyboy420
04-27-2006, 01:58 PM
I didn't mean for it to sound like we should give all of the money to the families. I guess I couldn't think of a way to word it. It's just hard knowing that my grandparents are struggling and my parents sometimes struggle, as do I, and there's $11 billion coming out of no where to build a tower. After reading your post, I do think it would be better to build something there, so I can agree with you on that, I just wish I didn't cost so much money.

Now, I'm kind of stupid when it comes to this, but how do things like this get paid for? Will there be more taxes taken out on the people in NY or are there other ways?

I understand where you're coming from with the money issue, and reading my post it may have been a bit harsh. Believe me I think all the time about how 5% of the American population has and controls something like 95% of the money and think it's not fair at all. But then I think of the alternatives, things like communism, socalism and such and remember how good we have it. I know it won't make you feel any better, b/c it dosen't make me feel any better when I think about it... but we could live in China, N.Korea or one of the Middle Eastern Countries where the people live in dirt huts while the government/royalty or what-have-you live in freaking palaces. As Americans we sometimes forget how good we have it b/c we are used to livng as we do.

I'm not trying to be condescending or anything b/c believe me I understand how it is. I'm married with two children and we are very far from rich, hell we're in debt up to our eyes and sometimes can't pay all the monthly bills, so I know how it is. It's hard seeing people like Bill Gates with something like 200 BILLION dollars. Do I think he needs that much money? Abso-friggin-lutely not, but he worked hard for it and delivers a product that people need and use. Really, that isn't out of reach for anyone in this country, even the poorest of the poor. The thing is though, how successful we are as adults comes from our choices when we're young and in school, and sometimes even from our parents choices, and those are out of our hands.

I do really feel for your Grandparents though. If there is something I really don't like it's how senior citizens are starting to be treated in this country. Our government is really screwing them with all these social security and senior services cuts they are making and the high medical and drug costs hurt them the most. Our seniors should never have to worry about paying thier bills or struggling to survive, ESPECIALLY when they have worked hard and paid taxes all thier lives. And if you think it's bad for them, wait til we get to be seniors. By then Social Security will be broke and probably non-existant which is rediculous. People that work all thier lives and pay taxes is what keeps our country the great place it is and should NEVER have to worry about how they will get by when they retire. But that's something else entirely.

Sorry for going so off topic there, but I feel very strongly about these issues. Now, back on topic:

As to where that 11 billion is going to come from....I'm pretty sure most of it is coming from private investors and the like, while the rest will come from the federal, state and city governemnts. Yes, the tax payers will have to foot some of the bill, but it will be so spread out that no one will feel the crunch. That's what taxes are for, to pay for things for the welfare of our country and it's people, so it's only natural that's where at least some of it will come from. 11 billion may sound like a lot to you and I, but really it's only a drop in the bucket when you think about how much money is collected in taxes every year. But out of that 11 billion price tag, I'd say probably less than half will come out of the tax payers pockets. And out of that it will be spread across the millions of people in this country so that no one feels the burden.

biggiy05
04-27-2006, 02:16 PM
Its sad how there are so many people in this country who are struggling to survive and living paycheck to paycheck, yet we can somehow pull $11billion out of our ass to rebuild a tower that should just be left as is as a memorial.

The U.S. military has a bounty on some well known guy in Iraq or maybe it's Iran but either way they set the bouny at 25 million dollars. Does anyone else think that's just a tad too much?

rocksfan13
04-27-2006, 02:20 PM
The U.S. military has a bounty on some well known guy in Iraq or maybe it's Iran but either way they set the bouny at 25 million dollars. Does anyone else think that's just a tad too much?
Obviously not. They still haven't gotten the guy, have they?

Rainman
04-27-2006, 03:39 PM
It's a rather big waste of money to make a super skyscraper at this point. The only reason we are building it so big is out of pride issues. The 11 billion dollar estimate will no doubt be exceeded by the end since estimates rarely hold out. I would rather they built some kind of smaller building with a purpose that'd honor the victims and help in the protection of our country or something. I don't know, but I'd rather it'd be something useful than just symbolic.

It'll probably be largely investors and maybe government help. The private investors will most likely profit immensly from this. Yay, capitalism.

ctrl-alt-delete
04-27-2006, 04:31 PM
Well, if it is to be finished by 2011...

At least by then we might have some competence in our government and they will know how to protect it AND help the poor and desperate families.

Cronic
04-27-2006, 05:10 PM
I don't know how you guys feel about the supernatural but my own fear of ghosts would keep me from even entering a site like that ...I mean honestly who would want to work in a scene of such horror?

moocow
04-27-2006, 05:36 PM
I don't know how you guys feel about the supernatural but my own fear of ghosts would keep me from even entering a site like that ...I mean honestly who would want to work in a scene of such horror?

Not I, said the cow.

That's like, the first thing I thought of when I first heard they wanted to rebuild :p

Rainman
04-27-2006, 05:59 PM

Personally, I wouldn't want to work in the building purely because it will be a very prime target for terrorism. I'm sure security will be very tight, but who wants the endless threat of doom.

By the way, I just read that the building is going to have a large part of it that is empty space. The twin towers were two 110 story buildings. The new building will have something in the 80's in terms of habitable floors. The rest will be empty space for the sake of sending a symbollic fuck you to the terrorists.

AtmaWeapon
04-27-2006, 10:40 PM
My problem with it has nothing to do with NEVAR FORGET and more to do with what a cruddy design this building is.

First, two 110-story towers are being replaced with an 82-story building. That's a deficit of about 130 stories there. This is primo real estate and such a waste is silly.

To get a good idea of the waste, take a look at this picture (http://img133.imageshack.us/my.php?image=freedomtower0080cm.jpg). They were 'concerned about the safety of the higher floors in the event of another attack' so you've got lots of very expensive empty space in the complex.

I hate to be a capitalist pig but there is no way this is going to pay off for its investors. Plus it's ugly as sin.

Orion
04-27-2006, 11:08 PM
My problem with it has nothing to do with NEVAR FORGET and more to do with what a cruddy design this building is.

First, two 110-story towers are being replaced with an 82-story building. That's a deficit of about 130 stories there. This is primo real estate and such a waste is silly.

To get a good idea of the waste, take a look at this picture (http://img133.imageshack.us/my.php?image=freedomtower0080cm.jpg). They were 'concerned about the safety of the higher floors in the event of another attack' so you've got lots of very expensive empty space in the complex.

I hate to be a capitalist pig but there is no way this is going to pay off for its investors. Plus it's ugly as sin.

Welcome to the world of post-modern architecture. Enjoy your stay.

Im not keen on the design either, but I still don't buy the whole "OMG it's another terroist target!" argument. As Americans, we are all walking terrorist targets. I go to the Mall of America on a nearly weekly basis. More people go there than Disneyland and Disneyworls combined on a daily basis. It's a huge target. But does that scare me? No. Can't live life afraid all of the time.

Besides, there's far worse things that terrorists can do than knock down a building. Just cross your fingers that they don't.

Daarkseid
04-27-2006, 11:46 PM
I love how its called the "Freedom" Tower.

I think the terrorist success in that attack has been fully completed.

The World Trade Center was built originally for commercial purposes and its design didn't have to take into consideration terrorist attacks.

Now we're using that land and for what, just a cheap message. We're not rebuiding the WTC, we're just putting in one big expensive monument. In an attempt, I guess, to give the finger to terrorists, but in reality we're just saying we are terrified, and we are beaten.

That land now truly is going to waste. Once that building is done, that'll be it. The WTC will be gone for good.

Shadowblazer
05-02-2006, 05:03 PM

I think the terrorist success in that attack has been fully completed.

The World Trade Center was built originally for commercial purposes and its design didn't have to take into consideration terrorist attacks.

Now we're using that land and for what, just a cheap message. We're not rebuiding the WTC, we're just putting in one big expensive monument. In an attempt, I guess, to give the finger to terrorists, but in reality we're just saying we are terrified, and we are beaten.

That land now truly is going to waste. Once that building is done, that'll be it. The WTC will be gone for good. Agreed. I think that the World Trade Center should be rebuilt, but it should be just as it was before and should serve the same purpose that it did before it was destroyed. It should not be rebuilt to serve as a political statement. Having a memorial to honor those that died in the tragedy is something that absolutely should be done, but I don't think the tower itself should be that monument.

Verman
05-03-2006, 08:34 AM
Of course it should be rebuilt, life goes on. I know I would rather see it rebuilt then some stupid park or little statue go up.

as for this " $11 billion coming out of no where to build a tower", hah...no no, the American government has more then enough money to cover it... And its actully a good thing to spend $11 billion on building a tower, think of all the jobs and economic growth :D Much better then wasting $11 billion going across to iraq and wasting time looking for weapons...

slothman
05-03-2006, 06:46 PM

I want it rebuild but calling it that to me reminds of
call calling French Fries, Freedom Fries.

It sound too patriotic, jingoistic even.

ZomfgIts0rzlolo
05-03-2006, 07:57 PM
The best way to give the finger to the terrorists is to rebuild the WTC. Maybe make a one or two floor memorial, or something nearby, but they wanted to destroy the WTC, and if we don't rebuild it, they did.

Archibaldo
05-04-2006, 02:41 PM
I agree with Teddy. The gap in the NYC skyline is kind of like symbole showing that the terrorists were there. IMO, it would be best to fill it in. Because otherwise, every time you see that gap you would think. "Oh yeah, 9/11" I'm not saying you should forget about 9/11 completely, but when you're reminded every single day...

zoraking
05-04-2006, 09:46 PM
I believe whatever we do, we will never ever eliminate terrorism. We can slow it or briefly halt it, but there will always be people ready for a jihad with America. You cannot stop someone's beliefs. And some of them believe dying because of America will give them a martyr state of personality or whatever. Terrorism will continue to exist. This world is fucked.

Daarkseid
05-04-2006, 09:48 PM
This world is fucked.

Which, I feel, has always been the case and will continue to be the case. Life goes on.