PDA

View Full Version : Tales of Phantasia

Link 101
04-24-2006, 07:41 PM
So, anyone pick this up yet? I know many of you probably played played the translated version or something, but, did anyone else play the GBA version? It's pretty good. I beat it already, it was realtively easy, I needed a walkthrough for some parts though. So, what is everyone else's take on this game?

vegeta1215
04-24-2006, 10:29 PM
I played it a few years back shortly after the fan translation patch came out for the SNES ROM, but I couldn't really get into it. The battle system felt very clunky, and despite supposably being called "one of the best looking SNES games", I wasn't very impressed with it visually. So, I played Seiken Densetsu 3 instead, which imo is a much much better game.

I eventually rented and later purchased Tales of Symphonia for the Gamecube. Thankfully the Tales' battle system was vastly improved and a lot of fun. I thought of giving ToP a try, but I think it would just be too big of a step back.

ShadowTiger
04-25-2006, 09:07 AM
I still enjoy ToP. It was, IMHO, really quite the revolutionary game for its time. I got just past the two golems boss early on in the game, but right after that, there's this cutscene where just as the two amulets fuse in this huge flash of light, the emulator crashes. Every single time. I've tried different versions of the same file with the same results. I'd really like to finish the game one day. Th'thing just doesn't run very well. -.-'

Link 101
04-25-2006, 03:28 PM
I am a little TO'ed because I beat the game, and my file was fantasic. Like, level 85 or something with all the best equipment, and then at the end where you save to start a new game, I saved over my beaten file, thinking it was telling me to save that file, not a new one. So now I have to do it all over again...oh well, the game is worth playing through again I suppose.

KJAZZ
04-26-2006, 02:39 PM
I've played the original translation, and am in the process of playing through the game again on an emulator right now, almost to the end.

I like the game, myself. Except they really messed up Cless and Arche's voices.. They both sound too old for who they are.. :blah:

Link 101
04-26-2006, 03:21 PM
Yeah, Cress (Cless) still sounds kind of old for his age in the GBA version. Arche sounds pretty good to me. She still has a sort of childish voice and acts childish. I was thinking of playing it on emulator, just to scope out the differences, besides the overly exaggerated boat scene on the way to Alvanista. DUnno, if I am going to yet.