PDA

View Full Version : Talking to people only when you are near them

Van Halen Man
04-22-2006, 09:58 PM
How can I make it so the people only talk to you when you walk up to them.?For example It does this in the Mega man Dr. Wrily's revenge.

Nimono
04-22-2006, 10:00 PM
How can I make it so the people only talk to you when you walk up to them.?For example It does this in the Mega man Dr. Wrily's revenge.
Put direct warps near them! Then, make a new screen where there's direct warps around where you appear that has a guy and a string. Give this screen a DMap with a level number 10+. Set the tile warps to go between this screen, from the screen with the NPC to the screen with the NPC talking, and vice versa.

Pineconn
04-22-2006, 10:12 PM
It's best if you don't put the direct warp on the regular screen adjacent to the direct warps on the screen with the string.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/PokeMaster/how2.png

Van Halen Man
04-22-2006, 10:12 PM
Ok, Thanks alotPikaguy900 and Pineconn. I see what you're saying.But just out of curiosity, what does makin' it level 10+ actually do?

Nimono
04-22-2006, 10:18 PM
Ok, Thanks alotPikaguy900 and Pineconn. I see what you're saying.But just out of curiosity, what does makin' it level 10+ actually do?
Without a level number hugher than 0, the Guy and string will only appear if you enter a warp to the cave room (Screen 80) of the map.

Van Halen Man
04-22-2006, 10:20 PM
Ok. Thanks again.

Pineconn
04-22-2006, 10:20 PM
I forget, but it has to do with making the guy and string appear... I think. I know to set it to level 10, but forget the reason. :p

EDIT: Whoops, looks like you beat me! Ah, so I was right.

Nimono
04-22-2006, 10:23 PM
It's best if you don't put the direct warp on the regular screen adjacent to the direct warps on the screen with the string.

Why not? I do that all the time. It's not like it's a sensitive warp or anything in that it'd warp you again as soon as you warp. Besides, it never looks right if you have to walk 2 or more tiles away just to get the string to go away. I mean, look at Pokemon games, or any game that you can walk up to a person and talk to them: You can never talk to them unless you're right next to them. Same goes for Zelda games that have them, too, unless the person is supposed to talk when you get CLOSE to them, instead of AT them.

Van Halen Man
04-22-2006, 10:23 PM
That sounds right,Pineconn

Van Halen Man
04-22-2006, 10:26 PM
So are you saying that the direct warps shoud be within 1 tile away so that right when you move the string disappears?

Pineconn
04-22-2006, 10:30 PM
Yes. Otherwise, if you step up to the guy a half tile to the left or right, you will use the direct warp twice or thrice. Meaning, the first way, you may have to listen to the string more than once when you don't want to. The second way (my way), you will listen to it once and be able to walk away without warping involuntarily.

Freedom
04-22-2006, 10:33 PM
It doesn't have to be it can be further away if you choose.
The center one (that says incorrect) will allow the player to miss the warp by skirting up over the top of it if he walks directly up next to the guy and then left or right.

Widening them out, like in the "correct" shot will keep you from triggering it as you land, causing you to warp right back out in a cycle that causes you to go back and forth and say bad words at your computer.

Van Halen Man
04-22-2006, 10:40 PM
Ok thanks alot everybody. This information really helps.

Pineconn
04-22-2006, 10:42 PM
It doesn't have to be it can be further away if you choose.
The center one (that says incorrect) will allow the player to miss the warp by skirting up over the top of it if he walks directly up next to the guy and then left or right.

Widening them out, like in the "correct" shot will keep you from triggering it as you land, causing you to warp right back out in a cycle that causes you to go back and forth and say bad words at your computer.

For once, I disagree with the ZQuest god. ;) If you have it in the "incorrect" shot, you can view the string multiple times involuntarily. In the "correct" shot, you can still walk away, but you won't have to view the string multiple times. You can warp and then talk to the guy again. I've never had problems with the "correct" way, but the inconvience of viewing the string 2 or 3 times in the "incorrect" way.

I've tested both, and the "correct" screen works the nicest. To me. Pokémon runs on a completely different engine, so there really is no comparison. ;) (Okay, not COMPLETELY...)

Van Halen Man
04-22-2006, 10:48 PM
Ok so what you're saying is that when you step on the direct warp you might be standing half way on the direct warp back to the other screen so it will just keep taking you back and forth?

Nimono
04-22-2006, 10:51 PM
Ok so what you're saying is that when you step on the direct warp you might be standing half way on the direct warp back to the other screen so it will just keep taking you back and forth?
No, that's if you use Sensitive Warps (only in 2.11). All other warps REQUIRE you to stand in the middle of the tiles to activate. So if you put that direct warp in front of the NPC on one screen, and AROUND your warp location on the next, you WILL NOT warp on the Direct warp. Just remember not to use STAIR warps.

Van Halen Man
04-22-2006, 10:57 PM
I keep getting confused because I dont know what NPC is?

Pineconn
04-22-2006, 10:57 PM
No, that's if you use Sensitive Warps (only in 2.11). All other warps REQUIRE you to stand in the middle of the tiles to activate. So if you put that direct warp in front of the NPC on one screen, and AROUND your warp location on the next, you WILL NOT warp on the Direct warp. Just remember not to use STAIR warps.

*sigh* Different opinions. You won't warp back and forth, but, again, you MAY view the string more than once involuntarily, which is a minor inconvience. In the "correct" way, you WILL NOT view the string more than once involuntarily. That way is a little nicer. But, you'll have to walk another combo to rid the string, but who cares?

(NPC is non-playable character, or, simply, the guy.) NPC also stands for National Prescribing Center, National Panhellenic Conference, National Petroleum Council, National Press Club... ;)

Here's this again.

Van Halen Man
04-22-2006, 11:01 PM
Ok, so what is it that is wrong with the incorrect way now that I know what you mean due to that picture.

Pineconn
04-22-2006, 11:24 PM
AGAIN ;) , in the "incorrect" way, you MAY view the string more than once involuntarily, which is a minor inconvience. In the "correct" way, you WILL NOT view the string more than once involuntarily. That way is a little nicer. But, you'll have to walk another combo to rid the string, but who cares?

Van Halen Man
04-22-2006, 11:26 PM
Ok thanks alot. I will keep that in mind.:)

Pineconn
04-22-2006, 11:29 PM
Lol. It's no problem. :) (BTW, your post count just about doubled within the last hour, so that's always a good thing! ;) ) That's what this is for, questions.

Van Halen Man
04-22-2006, 11:31 PM
Yeah it pretty much has:D

Freedom
04-23-2006, 12:19 AM
For once, I disagree with the ZQuest god. ;) If you have it in the "incorrect" shot, you can view the string multiple times involuntarily. In the "correct" shot, you can still walk away, but you won't have to view the string multiple times. You can warp and then talk to the guy again. I've never had problems with the "correct" way, but the inconvience of viewing the string 2 or 3 times in the "incorrect" way.

I've tested both, and the "correct" screen works the nicest. To me. Pokémon runs on a completely different engine, so there really is no comparison. ;) (Okay, not COMPLETELY...)

You read my post wrong, what I said was absolutely correct.
I wasn't disagreeing, I was explaining "why" it worked that way, because he was still confused.
and regular warp tiles trigger not in the center but on the bottom 2 of the 4 squares.

Pineconn
04-23-2006, 04:11 PM
You read my post wrong, what I said was absolutely correct.
I wasn't disagreeing, I was explaining "why" it worked that way, because he was still confused.
and regular warp tiles trigger not in the center but on the bottom 2 of the 4 squares.

Oops, my bad! :) Now that I read it, I see what you mean. And Freedom is definately right. Sorry about that. :shrug:

Freedom
04-23-2006, 04:31 PM
P.S.
I'm no ZQuest god, I'm just a guy with way too much time on his hands. ;)

Van Halen Man
04-23-2006, 06:35 PM
Me too.:D

Pineconn
04-23-2006, 06:49 PM
Heh, I think we all are. :)

Van Halen Man
04-23-2006, 07:03 PM
I knew that someone was going to say that?:D