PDA

View Full Version : Quest Comments

rocksfan13
04-18-2006, 01:55 PM
Has anyone gone through the newest quest comments lately?

Someone has been spamming it like crazy. Some of them very explisit. F bombs and all. Can anyone besides Eckels clean them up? I think it's really demeaning to the quest maker and to this great site.

Anyone else notice this?

firefly
04-18-2006, 02:19 PM
Yes I do notice, sorry, this is not an spoiler, this is what the comments say:
-=SPOILER=-

rocksfan13
04-18-2006, 02:23 PM
And what Firefly has stated is only half of it.

Can anyone deal with it?

Aegix Drakan
04-18-2006, 02:30 PM
wha?

That's just screwed up. I hope someone nails and bans the guy who wrote thos e comments.

algam86
04-18-2006, 09:51 PM
wha?

That's just screwed up. I hope someone nails and bans the guy who wrote thos e comments.

I agree. :shakeno: Nobody that stupid should even be here. (hopes someone boots up the ban-cannon and blasts 'em)

Of course, I can't really do anything about it...

(not directed to Aegix)

Gerudo
04-18-2006, 10:37 PM
that would require someone actively adminning the ZCQDB, which currently no one does. why? who the hell knows, and it'd be nice for at least SOMEONE to do SOMETHING with that site. merely existing doesnt cut it...

firefly
04-19-2006, 12:15 AM
And what Firefly has stated is only half of it.
Yes, this are the comments on one of the best quests I've played so far:

-=SPOILER=-

Someone, please, stop this.

rocksfan13
04-19-2006, 08:58 AM
Yes, this are the comments on one of the best quests I've played so far:

Off topic: Thanks for the mindless plug Firefly!:)

On topic: I remember the last time this happened, Eckels was still around. He was not happy about and chewed out the people doing it and banned both of them and removed the comments.

My question is: Is there anyone else, besides Eckels, who has the access to remove them? And if so, will they?

Also it doesn't help if the user's name doesn't show up in the comments anymore.:(

Aegix Drakan
04-19-2006, 09:33 AM
(not directed to Aegix)

:rofl: I know that wasn't directed at me algam! I consider you one of my net-buddies.

On topic: doesn't one of the administrators here have the power to fix this?

rocksfan13
04-19-2006, 03:32 PM
Anyone else who feels this needs this to be adressed, there is another thread related to getting it done.

It can be found HERE (http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=90503).

Please. We need as much notice as we can get.

Pineconn
04-19-2006, 11:01 PM
Like I've said before, I will do what I can to fix it. Bug the admins? Hack into the system? Okay, I can't do that. But the admins need to be told in mass. That is, everyone who is reading this should e-mail, PM, and even Instant Message at least an admin. Some of the current admins seem like they... don't care. (If an admin is reading this, please don't ban me! :D I'm saying only some.)

... Anyway... A nice addition to the QDB comments system would be to turn off anonymous commenting, but, then again, NOBODY AT ALL is running it. *sigh* We'll just have to wait and hope. (I feel like a protester on the picket line! :D )

me2
04-19-2006, 11:29 PM
You guys need a sense of humor. I thought the eigth one (nice, but coulda used a lil more cowbell) was hillarious.

He's a problem though. A ban would be good enough, I guess. :shrug:

Pineconn
04-19-2006, 11:33 PM
Spam is spam. I've seen it in many different quests' comments. Quite annoying, really. (No, I'm not British. :tongue: ) A ban is impossible because the guy posts anonymously. Well, he wouldn't even be able to log in anyway.

ZTC
04-20-2006, 12:11 PM
not if the IP address is banned

rocksfan13
04-20-2006, 12:36 PM
Is it possible? He's done it again. Look (http://zeldaclassic.armageddongames.net/viewquest.php?q=249)
This comment is spam.

Even if it wasn't mine, I would still be upset.:disgust:

EDIT: Link Fixed

Pineconn
04-20-2006, 12:50 PM
Even though the link doesn't work ;) , I believe you. Well, there's nothing we can do about it now... Only Eckels can do something. :sweat:

ZTC
04-20-2006, 12:54 PM
wasn't JayeM moderating the DB also?
what ever happened to her anyways?

rocksfan13
04-20-2006, 12:58 PM
No. She quit. She gave a long explanation.

I resigned quite some time ago, mostly because I was sick of having to sort through all the fake or faulty submissions: 10-20 of them for every real submission. I informed Eckels and it seems he hasn't bothered to replace me. I suggest talking to Shadowblazer or WarLord.

firefly
04-20-2006, 01:00 PM
It seems that rocksfan13 posted first...

Pineconn
04-20-2006, 01:05 PM
Do you think JayeM could temporarily reopen the QDB? If Eckels didn't replace her, maybe JayeM can still operate it, and then pass the "burden" on to some willing volunteers. I'm dying to get ZC.com back up! :)

rocksfan13
04-20-2006, 01:07 PM
I don't think so. She certainly didn't seem too happy about reopening it the second time. Couldn't hurt to ask.

firefly
04-20-2006, 01:17 PM
How about a "Report this comment" feature?

rocksfan13
04-20-2006, 01:22 PM
That would be a good question for the admins to answer.

SUCCESSOR
04-21-2006, 10:32 PM
The thing is that such a thing takes times. And I'm guessing no one has that time. I wouldn't give a fuck. Something that hard to maintain is a luxury. Comment spams is a minor inconvinience. Get over it. Host your own quests. Make your own QDB. You got a nice slot for advertizing your quest in ever post. What the big problem?

bigboylink
04-22-2006, 12:04 PM
Spam is spam. I've seen it in many different quests' comments. Quite annoying, really. (No, I'm not British. :tongue: ) A ban is impossible because the guy posts anonymously. Well, he wouldn't even be able to log in anyway.

I get the impression that this will fall on the deaf ears of the admins, but so be it (don't flame me for that). One should be required to login in order to post a comment to a quest. This would only be a small obstacle for spammers to overcome, but it would be an obstacle nontheless, and I do believe a significant portion of random spammers will not bother to register an account. Plus, being able to easily track who wrote the comments would be nice. As TC suggests, you could then ban both the username and IP address, which would present a huge inconvenience for further spams.

Pineconn
04-22-2006, 12:22 PM
Of course, we wouldn't know if IP addresses could be banned. However, if they could, our spam problem is fixed. Yes, our admins are indeed inactive, which creates more problems.

It's almost like no one even cares.

rocksfan13
04-22-2006, 12:52 PM
Of course, we wouldn't know if IP addresses could be banned. However, if they could, our spam problem is fixed. Yes, our admins are indeed inactive, which creates more problems.

It's almost like no one even cares.

Pathetic isn't it. (No offense to current active staff) But it is.

Sir_Johnamus
04-22-2006, 09:23 PM

When I was admin of a forum, you could ban ip adresses.
I would offer to clean up the databases, but 1: i don't think you would give me admin status, and 2: You would probably find another reason to say no.

rocksfan13
04-24-2006, 01:13 PM
When I was admin of a forum, you could ban ip adresses.
I would offer to clean up the databases, but 1: i don't think you would give me admin status, and 2: You would probably find another reason to say no.

Ya know, you could ask. What's the worst that they can say?
No? Or maybe Hell No?

It's gonna be a new issue with the DB opening up again.