PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo WiFi USB Connector

Grasshopper
04-17-2006, 09:39 PM
How exactly does this work? I bought me one the other day since I don't have wireless routers, or any hotspots around here. I got a bit of a discount on it, but I still think $40 is a bit steep for how much I figure I'll use it. Also considering you practically buy a really decent 802.11g router for around $60. (I already have a router and didn't really care to bother buying another one)

Ok, anyway, back to the question at hand. How does one work? I have software that I have to install, that allowed me to register my Nintendo DS. The only think I figure that it might do is store the MAC address of my Nintendo DS so only MY DS can link up to it. But where is that information stored? On the computer? On the USB device? Or does it even do that? Considering you can connect up to 5 devices to it, I can't imagine it would be doing that. What if I don't install it, is this thing PnP? Shouldn't it be? What if I took the USB Connector to another computer, could I connect to wirelessly without installing software?

I've already installed the software and I've played a few matches of MP: Hunters, but I don't really want to only be able to play at home, and would find it convient that I can carry this around (there is a lanyard hole on it after all), and plug it into where ever I wanted. Is that possible?

Vagla
04-17-2006, 11:02 PM
It requires software to operate properly. When you plug in the adapter, the software launches and allows you and up to 4 others to connect to the adapter. If it's not properly installed, your DS won't be able to find the adapter, plain and simple. It's a simple installation process, at the very least, but yeah, it's kind of annoying that it's not plug and play.

vegeta1215
04-17-2006, 11:18 PM
The USB adapter takes your internet connection and makes a wireless hotspot that your DS and possibly other devices can connect to. If I had to guess, your DS info is stored on your computer, and you'd probably need to install the software on each computer you'd want to use the Nintendo WiFi connector with.

Grasshopper
04-18-2006, 11:03 AM
Hmph, that makes it kind of pointless. I'd really find it handy to just carry it around and plug it into any computer with broadband, but If I have to tote the CD software around with me... :(

vegeta1215
04-18-2006, 03:13 PM
Hmph, that makes it kind of pointless. I'd really find it handy to just carry it around and plug it into any computer with broadband, but If I have to tote the CD software around with me... :(

The point of the Nintendo Wifi adapter is to create a wireless access point for your DS to connect to using your existing (non-wireless) internet connection. Which is does great from what you've said. If you have to go out of range of your "wireless network" you can always connect to a Wifi hotspot or any other wireless access point that supports 802.11b.

Grasshopper
04-18-2006, 03:45 PM
Yes, but thats the point I was trying to make. In my area, nobody has Wifi. The only area with Wifi is my college and it has encrytion. So I was not only going to use my USB connector at my home, but anywhere I go that has broadband, but no Wifi.

firebug
04-18-2006, 11:37 PM
...I already have a router and didn't really care to bother buying another one...

Do You have multiple computers running off of the same internet connection? If so, have you noticed anything wierd about your network after you installed the USB connector?

I bought one of those things there, and it seems to override my LAN, leaving me with only the computer that's connected directly to my internet and my DS working. I've found I can get my network running again if I bridge the two connections (WiFi adapter and my LAN) but if I reset my computer I have to remove the bridge, recreate it, and then point my internet connection sharing back to the bridge before it will work properly. Have you or anyone else had this problem, and is there a permanent solution that doesn't require me to fiddle with my settings everytime I have to reset my computer?

Grasshopper
04-19-2006, 12:34 AM
I've never noticed any problems. I have two PCs, and both run into the router, which is hooked to my cable modem. And I've haven't seemed to have problems like that.

Grasshopper
05-03-2006, 09:38 PM
Do You have multiple computers running off of the same internet connection? If so, have you noticed anything wierd about your network after you installed the USB connector?

I bought one of those things there, and it seems to override my LAN, leaving me with only the computer that's connected directly to my internet and my DS working. I've found I can get my network running again if I bridge the two connections (WiFi adapter and my LAN) but if I reset my computer I have to remove the bridge, recreate it, and then point my internet connection sharing back to the bridge before it will work properly. Have you or anyone else had this problem, and is there a permanent solution that doesn't require me to fiddle with my settings everytime I have to reset my computer?

Sorry to bring back a 2-week old topic, but you can't delete your post and repost, so I guess I'll have to double post.. You know what. I've noticed it now.
I'm trying to do some file sharing, and my network doesn't exist anymore. And I really can't think of any other reason for it not to other then that Wifi thing

I had to resetup my network and fix all my file sharing back up again.