PDA

View Full Version : MIDI Difficulty

tharsis26
04-16-2006, 04:22 PM
I am having problems with my MIDI files. I have several different midi files. I am trying to do a different one for each dungeon. The sound works fine for both my overworld map and level 1 dungeon map but for some reason for the latest dungeon that I have been creating the song is all distorted, has sort of a long drawn out note in the background. I have tried replacing that specific midi file with others and they are all distorted in this dungeon. I even tried creating a new DMAP for this dungeon and for some reason the music is still distorted. Does anyone know why in some cases the sound works fine and then for others it does not?

firefly
04-16-2006, 04:26 PM
I think this is a bug, try using 2.11 beta 10b (http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?t=90670), you can also help with finding bugs. ;)
Steps:

1) Download 2.11 Beta 10 (full)
2) Download 2.11 Beta 10b (only exe files)
3) Unzip files in a folder (only the first one)
4) Unzip the second .zip file AND overwrite this files with the ones that are already in the folder.
5) Have fun.

Pineconn
04-16-2006, 10:15 PM
Ooo.... this is a well-known bug. It's because of Allegro, the program ZC uses that eyeryone hates. It's because Allegro doesn't like one of your MIDIs, so it goes all out wonky. The first MIDI that screws up? Don't use it. It'll mess up all other MIDIs (not permanently, by the way).

Saffith
04-16-2006, 10:23 PM
Not the first MIDI that's screwed up, but the one that plays before it.
The problem is that a controller gets set and then isn't reset when a new song is loaded, so you need to stop using the song that sets it in the first place.

Nicholas Steel
04-17-2006, 04:09 AM
someone forgot to mention this...

in the new "2.11 beta 10b" make sure "strict midi" is turned on in the volume controls area within the zc player.

Pineconn
04-18-2006, 10:48 PM
Not the first MIDI that's screwed up, but the one that plays before it.
The problem is that a controller gets set and then isn't reset when a new song is loaded, so you need to stop using the song that sets it in the first place.

Good catch. ;) That's right, the one before. I've actually fixed sticky MIDIs before. I opened Anvil Studio (a MIDI creation/editing program) and took a look at them. The common thing in the sticky MIDIs is that they were messy. That is, there were a bunch of 32nd notes tied over to the next note, whole notes tied to notes after the next note, etc. (If you don't know what any of this means, don't worry about it. :tongue: ) If you want, I can take a look at the MIDI and try to fix it.