PDA

View Full Version : A choice...

SpacemanDan
04-15-2006, 02:08 PM
(Sorry if this is in the wrong forum...)
Would this be a "one-sided" descision:
You can only pick one or the other:
The master sword, or the gold ring.
If it is one-sided, do you have any suggestions (keeping sowrds and rings in mind) of what could make it a balanced descision?
(In my quest, there's a point where you need to decide wether to pick one item, or the other.)

WindStrike
04-15-2006, 02:41 PM
I have no clue what can make it balanced primarily because the gold ring is WAY overpowered. That's why I would never ever put it in any quest I make. I suppose there is a way to make it balanced, but it would be kinda dumb. You could put a warp tile under the gold ring to warp you to an area where the only way you could get out was to lose some hearts. That's all I can tall ya.

SpacemanDan
04-15-2006, 02:51 PM
How about the Red Ring and the Master Sword? I personally think it's more of a balance, but it may not be. (What i mean by balanced is that either way, the game won't become and easier/harder depending on what item you chose, but you can only pick one. It would be up to the player if they want strength OR defense.

LinkMaster500
04-15-2006, 11:32 PM
If you're thinking about using the gold ring, you could compensate for it by placing in the final dungeons for instance, only the hardest enemies there are in Zelda Classic such as Death Knights, and maybe Bat and Mirror Wizzrobes, but some of these can be too easy with items like the Hookshot or Fire Boomerang.

You could use "boss" enemies like Fire Gleeoks, Level 2 or 3 Patras, or Level 2 Manhandlas, but the problem is that when you beat them, they stay beat. There might be a way to make these return, but I'm not sure how.

I can see Blaman's situation as an example of why proper item placement is key to good quest making. Inappropriate item placement could inadvertently make quests too easy.

Cloral
04-15-2006, 11:49 PM
Double Defense or Double Power is a good tradeoff. Double defense is always better than double power since defense always works but the sword only affects when you actually use it, but that is a tradeoff you see often enough. Link's Awakening DX had you make this exact decision in the bonus dungeon.

As was stated above, the gold ring is too powerful to use in normal quests. If the player could normally only get as high as the blue ring though, and you made the decision between the master sword and the red ring, that would be a good tradeoff.

SpacemanDan
04-16-2006, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the help.:D I'm thinking about having alot of those tough foes, which would make it more of an balanced quest if you chose to take the gold ring.