PDA

View Full Version : 11x16 (who came up with that?)

chronostrike
04-11-2006, 12:42 AM
Is it possible to reduce the dimensions of screens but maintain four-directional mobility?

I'm trying to take the screen from 11x16 to 8x10.

Incidently, would a game look poor if all of the overworld screens had frames that link would walk through to get to the next screen? I was thinking of how it is with super game boy, but link would have to walk through the frame graphic to get to the other side.

Rakki
04-11-2006, 01:18 AM
To answer the thread title question, NINTENDO came up with 11x16. Since Zelda Classic is based off of the original Legend of Zelda, it just makes sense that it'd adopt the same screen size.

To answer your other questions, you cannot reduce the screen size, currently, and I don't think sticking a border on every screen would work that well, since you'd still have to walk through the side of the screen (unless you used tile warps to change from screen to screen).

chronostrike
04-11-2006, 08:22 AM
Yeah I know. 11 is just such an abnormal number to pick.

Is it possible to tile warp off all four sides of the screen to four different screens?

rocksfan13
04-11-2006, 08:40 AM
Only in 2.11, but it's still in beta stages. Currently beta 10, I believe.

Rakki
04-11-2006, 06:24 PM
Plus, a tile warp would eliminate being able to scroll through screens, in classic Zelda style. Unless you're able to use the scrolling warp with tile warps and I just never knew you could.

Nimono
04-11-2006, 06:28 PM
Maybe one day when the programmers learn more about programming, ZC will be able to support engines from LoZ, ALttP, and the Gameboy Zelda games, Link's Awakening and the Oracles games. I hope that happens one day.

Rakki
04-11-2006, 06:42 PM
It's not a matter of the developers not knowing enough programming, pikaguy, it's a matter of rewriting the code for the entire ZC engine. I hear it's very disorganized, and the way that some LoZ features were set up probably puts some limitations on what is actually possible with the current code as well. Unfortunately, all that code would take at least a year or two to completely reorganize, and it'd take even longer for them to optimize it and reduce the limitations. And all that doesn't even account for any of the bugs they would run into in the rewriting process. =/

Oh, and back on topic, chronostrike, the height is 11 tiles because the menu takes up 4 tiles. 15x16 tiles was the normal resolution for NES games, I believe.

Pineconn
04-11-2006, 08:01 PM
Because the system works now, I say it would be unhelpful to rewrite the engine. Why fix what's not broken? But, you're right, 11x16 is a rather screwy number.

*b*
04-12-2006, 12:23 AM
I'd love to have options to resize the screen for NES, GB, GBA, and DS size screens, as well as custom. but from what I understand, that would mess up the entire program, and require a heavy amount of coding

Rakki
04-12-2006, 02:05 AM
Because the system works now, I say it would be unhelpful to rewrite the engine. Why fix what's not broken?I explained why right in my post. =/ Limitations and disorganization of the current engine would be reasons to rewrite it. I doubt a rewrite ever will happen, though.

I'd love to have options to resize the screen for NES, GB, GBA, and DS size screens, as well as custom. but from what I understand, that would mess up the entire program, and require a heavy amount of codingAnd that heavy amount of coding would probably get tangled up in the mess that is the source code of the current engine. Of course, I imagine freeform combos must have taken quite the heavy programming as well, so, I guess this could be a possibility, eventually...

Tygore
04-12-2006, 02:37 AM
Maybe one day when the programmers learn more about programming, ZC will be able to support engines from LoZ, ALttP, and the Gameboy Zelda games, Link's Awakening and the Oracles games. I hope that happens one day.

Please. We have a very talented team of programmers. Need I remind you that this is Zelda Classic, created to be a Zelda 1 clone. Extra features exist for the flexability of custom quests. ZC is, for all intents and purposes, a completed project. At this point, it's basically "Pimp My Quest".