PDA

View Full Version : Ever wonder what to do at a funeral?

ShadowTiger
04-10-2006, 11:27 AM
Little advice:

Many of us however simply do not know how to behave and what to say or not to say under these circumstances and often we end up saying things that instead of bringing relief increase the pain of the family.

Having thought about it, I take the liberty to bring to the attention of all of us a number of important points of behaviour during a funeral or visitation to the family of the deceased.

1) Wait for the person(s) who is related to the deceased to start the conversation.

2) Do not try to "find out what happened"

3) Never offer an opinion as to what else could have or should have been done to save the person.

4) Do not say to the ones visitation that "this is God's will" we and the bereaved know that, instead show pain and share the sorrow. It is said of one of the experienced mourners of a funeral service used to go to the deceased's house, sit down, and cry for twenty minutes (to show support) and then leave without saying one word. He would repeat this every day once during the entire sitting.

5) We should all remember, we make the visitation call not that we should feel better, but that we are supposed to make them feel better.

6) If one is in doubt whether to say or not to say something, always choose to say nothing! Your mere presence alone means more to them than anything you could say.

elise
04-10-2006, 12:17 PM
6) If one is in doubt whether to say or not to say something, always choose to say nothing! Your mere presence alone means more to them than anything you could say.
I have been on both sides as related and as visitor and really if you don't know what to say then say just that , "I don't know what to say " that also opens a path for the related one to talk back ;)

granite
04-10-2006, 11:34 PM
And afterwards, I find it's best to have a party, get drunk, and talk about the good times.

Beldaran
04-11-2006, 12:08 AM
one word: gameboy

copsgotguns
04-12-2006, 01:22 AM
when i was younger at a funeral i actually lifted up the dead guys finger.
boy was that inappropriate as i found out when i came home to an ass whooping. and now that i think about it, in every funeral ive been to everyone does the opposite of everything you suggested.

Dechipher
04-13-2006, 12:09 AM
Is this really one of society's biggest problems?

granite
04-13-2006, 12:38 AM
When i was in highschool I did not know that it was disrespectful to pass a funeral procession while driving.

Coundn't figure out why people were honking their horns.

I was pulled over by the police,
now that I think about it, I cant believe I was so stupid.

theplustwo
04-13-2006, 01:00 AM
*be bored out of you skull

*watch old people cry

granite
04-13-2006, 01:07 AM
* Stare at the employees of the funeral home, and wonder why they work there.

The last funeral I attended was my grandmothers. I dont know why, but I had the urge to touch her, maybe just to find out what it's like to touch a dead body, or maybe because I loved her. I don't know why, but I touched her hand. It was wierd, I touched her, and felt nothing, I mean I didnt feel wierd, or sad , or anything.

After the funeral all the close family members and I went to my grandmothers house, we sat there visiting, and drinking beer.
Most of us rarely get to see each other, so we ended up celebrating instead of being sad. We had such a great time!

Toolie
04-13-2006, 07:20 AM
Well, attending a good number of friends funerals has gotten me pretty good at the mourning part.