PDA

View Full Version : Portland from the Sky

gdorf
04-09-2006, 04:13 PM
A coworker and friend of mine is a pilot and she works at an airport. The other day, we both had the evening off of work so she offered to take me up in the air for some photos. We flew directly over Portland, OR and over to a chinese restaurant in Albany, OR. I can honestly say I never expected to Taxi to a chinese restaurant. :cool:

Unfortunately, I couldn't open up any of the windows in the plane so I was shooting through a window with a very gray tint. This affected the color quality and sharpness of the photo's so I had to use some very creative Photoshop work.

These are really just for fun, but please let me know if you like any. I'd like to frame at least one for the pilot :)

http://www.esorensen.com/d/434-2/bridge.jpg
http://www.esorensen.com/d/407-2/_MG_9331.jpg
http://www.esorensen.com/d/413-2/_MG_9336.jpg

Thanks for looking. More can be found at http://www.esorensen.com/v/airplane/ It was a lot of fun taking these, just thought you guys might enjoy them. :)

granite
04-09-2006, 04:31 PM
I went to Portland once.
Just to skate at Burnside skate park.
It was awesome, and I didnt even get hurt.

me2
04-09-2006, 04:41 PM
A pilot license would be a great thing to have.

Beldaran
04-09-2006, 05:12 PM
Portland sucks. :)

gdorf
04-09-2006, 05:21 PM
Yeah, Portland is lame, especially when compared to other major cities. It was still a blast flying through it though. :thumbsup:

elise
04-09-2006, 05:41 PM
I liked the second in your gallery most ;)

*b*
04-09-2006, 06:51 PM
We flew directly over Portland, OR and over to a chinese restaurant in Albany, OR. I can honestly say I never expected to Taxi to a chinese restaurant. :cool:
might I take a shot in the dark and guess that you went to Ping's Garden?

gdorf
04-09-2006, 07:09 PM
I honestly don't remember the name of the restaurant. We were able to taxi and park the plane right next to the restaurant, though, does that sound like "Ping's Garden"?.

Are you from the Albany area?

Prrkitty
04-09-2006, 09:45 PM
Hubby and I live near the Portland area. Thank you for sharing the pictures. I love this area. We're approx 2 hours from Mt. St. Helens, approx 2 hours from Mt. Hood and 2 hours from the coast... how lucky can anyone be? :)

*b*
04-09-2006, 09:58 PM
um, not really. did you happen to land in like, an abandoned lot next to the resturant? I don't know of any chineese resturants near any areas that a plane could land in...

and yes, I'm in Albany

biggiy05
04-09-2006, 10:30 PM
The first and second are good shots. They all look good.

Orion
04-10-2006, 12:18 AM
I like the second one just because the color turned out better, plus the color of the buildings adds a little liveliness to the picture. I like the angles with the bridge and stuff in the foreground of the first one, but the background is kinda bland. It's a little distracting from the good parts of the picture. Maybe some cropping :)

gdorf
04-10-2006, 01:45 AM
um, not really. did you happen to land in like, an abandoned lot next to the resturant? I don't know of any chineese resturants near any areas that a plane could land in...

and yes, I'm in Albany

Its directly connected to the Airport. We had a choice between taxi'ing to the hanger or to the retaurant. :shrug:

Thanks everyone for the kind words and advice. I expected this topic to sink to the bottom with no replies ;)

And Orion, thanks for the advice, I'll consider cropping the image with the bridge. I'd like to bring out more color in all of these but I've already processed them to hell. Out of the camera they were very gray and extremely blurry, luckily, buildings are easy to sharpen.

*b*
04-10-2006, 03:00 AM
ah, I've heard of that place, but, I've never been there, and don't know the name. Pings is more in downtown Albany, so I guess that answers that

and yes, those are nice pictures. though, I like seeing Portland come into view when driving up from I-5. I've got a thing for big cities