PDA

View Full Version : First Revolution Screenshots!

goKi
04-07-2006, 06:52 PM
They originally appeared in Game Informer Magazine. Looks pretty awesome. With realism like that, maybe the casual FPS loving games will cross over to the revolution.

http://www.endangeredgamer.blogspot.com/

Pretty sure they're real.

Cronic
04-07-2006, 07:19 PM
*yawn* what a shitty interface theyre going with

goKi
04-07-2006, 07:58 PM
*yawn* what a shitty interface theyre going with

Red Steel or the Revolution?

MottZilla
04-07-2006, 09:28 PM
I'd bet he means the revolution which I can understand. The control seems like a gamble, though motion sensitive controls do have great potential, though I believe they are best used in combination with virtual reality headsets. If the Nintendo revolution could combine both, I'd be impressed. It'd make for killer racing and shooter type games.

Grasshopper
04-07-2006, 10:22 PM
They originally appeared in Game Informer Magazine.

What? Really? I've not seen any such thing. The God of War 2 issue?

Oh, wait... I see its the May issue, so it will be in the next issue.

LinktheMaster
04-07-2006, 11:18 PM
The Revolution controller is a gamble, but making risks is oftentimes part of business. Companies have to make decisions every once in a while, and only time will tell if they made the right decision. :shrug:

Personally, I think the game looks awesome, and I think the controls could work very well. I still can't tell, though. I'll need to try it out for myself. :P

Cloral
04-08-2006, 12:43 AM
After the DS I'm willing to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt on the Revolution. It's going to be a pain in the ass to develop for though.

Beldaran
04-08-2006, 12:47 AM
Say what you will about the Revolution, it is gauranteed to be one thing that none of the other consoles are: interesting.

Xbox: Impressive
PS3: Expensive
Revolution: Interesting

goKi
04-08-2006, 01:58 AM
I think the interface will be easy for gamers to work with, and once developers get the hang of it, probably not too hard to work with, but most of all, much cheaper to produce games for.

Cronic
04-08-2006, 02:04 AM
The Revolution controller is a gamble, but making risks is oftentimes part of business. Companies have to make decisions every once in a while.

A good buisness offers is customers options, risk is key, but nintendo is just one gimmick after the next really.

Think about all the dumb kong drums, different useless attachments the gaming world already sees, and expand the horizon ...I will only own a revolution if there is a controller option

MottZilla
04-08-2006, 02:37 AM
I hope nintendo does offer a standard controller for ports of "standard" games. I didn't likehaving to use the GameCube controller for everything last time. Didn't mind the N64 controller though, it kicked total ass.

goKi
04-08-2006, 03:43 AM
Nintendo confirmed that they will be offering a 'shell' of sorts, that the remote controller can click into, that will allow traditional gamepad controls.

AlexMax
04-08-2006, 10:52 AM
Those graphics aren't that great. The Revolution is essentially gamcube architecture that is only marginally more powerful than the Xbox.

I hate to have to revert to my former Nintendo fanboy, but I'm going to have to disagree with you Darth Cronic. Before I respond, let me say that the Xbox was the best system of the XBOX/PS2/Cube generation. There, now that I have no percived bias, on with the show...

A good buisness offers is customers options, risk is key, but nintendo is just one gimmick after the next really.

I agreed with you. Then I picked up a Nintendo DS based on great recomendations from other people, and my mind changed completely. Sure, there are a fair share of poor games for the DS, but there are also a ton of cool games for the DS as well.

In my opinion, Nintendo did a lot of dumb shit in the Cube era (and arguably the N64 era), but I think that was more Yamachi becoming arrogant and senile. After Iwata took over and got a few years to get going, it looks like Nintendo is getting back on track. If they can make a "gimmick" like the DS work and be marketable, then they could be able to do amazing things with the Revolution.

Think about all the dumb kong drums, different useless attachments the gaming world already sees, and expand the horizon ...I will only own a revolution if there is a controller option

Peripherals generally don't do well because they don't come with the system. The Revolution will come with the main remote, a dongle analog stick, and a gamecube controller plugin device that you can put the rev controller in. If they're doing anything obviously wrong, it's sticking with that goddamn stupid Gamecube controller.

One thing is going to bag the Revolution for me though...it's going to be under a hundred and fifty bucks at LAUNCH. Now, I liked the Xbox, and I'll be the first one to defend the 360 against "lol M$" faggot,s but really, it costs FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS. And at this point, there's not much on the 360 that interests me. We have sequels of Xbox games, the odd Rare platformer, sports games that I could care less about, and the Xbox Live arcade, which is an awesome idea and well executed, but not $400 + cost of games awesome. Oh, and Oblivion, but I already have that on PC. I'm worried that the 360 might actually become what many people accused the Xbox of being (when in reality it had it's fair share of origional games that made it worth owning in its own right).

Kairyu
04-08-2006, 01:10 PM
What the? Are those characters 3-D models or sprites in a 3-D world? They look awesome.

Anyone have a link to more info on the game itself?

MottZilla
04-08-2006, 03:47 PM
Kairyu, they are 3d models more than likely.

AlexMax, people keep saying that the Revolution is only slightly more powerful than the Xbox. The problem with that is you can't compare a PPC with an x86 like that. Though no one is going to tell you that Revolution is going to win a processing power war. But you know the original playstation proved you don't need the best hardware to do well, and the PS2 proved that again. The Revolution is probably significantly above the original Xbox in performance, but still it's what you do with the power that counts. Afterall look at the Xbox 360 and all it power... and uh, what games? You even said it yourself that one of the great games for it is also for PC. Really the only games on Xbox 360 I'd want are Perfect Dark Zero and maybe Dead or Alive 4, maybe.

By the way, where did you hear the launch price being under 150$? If that's official or not, I've already planned ahead to have money incase I want to jump right out and buy the Revolution whenever it launches.

jman2050
04-08-2006, 09:58 PM
LOL, I still remember the Xbox wars Alex and DC had before the systems launched. Those were good times.

As for this game, it's a definite step up from the OMG GAMECUBE TURBO people were expcting. To say otherwise is sorta ignorant. I can't say I'll be there for Rev day 1 (I've never had a console or handheld at launch) but I'm definitely interested, especially afterreading in various forums the gameplay features this game is setting out to implement.

gdorf
04-08-2006, 11:11 PM
I'm most excited about the revolution. If it is as cheap as I hear it will be I'll be all over it. I respect that Nintendo is trying something different, and I don't want to drop $400 dollars for a console.

That said, I think the Xbox 360 will win the next console war in the United States. The only chance Sony has is in the long run. Perhaps in a few years its superior technology will actually account for something, but I fear that by then the Xbox 360 will already dominate the market. Nintendo has their hearts in the right place, but they aren't marketting for Americans. Americans like things BIG and POWERFUL. The PS3 and Xbox360's are Ford F350 supercabs, while the Revolution will be a Hybrid car with some strange, somewhat foreign features. :shrug:

AlexMax
04-09-2006, 12:11 AM
Kairyu, they are 3d models more than likely.

AlexMax, people keep saying that the Revolution is only slightly more powerful than the Xbox. The problem with that is you can't compare a PPC with an x86 like that.

You can't compare two chipsets in straight megahertz to megahertz contests and come up with something, that's true. However, you can get - in general - a feel of processors raw power relative to each other. We already KNOW what the gamecube is capable of, and those specs scaled up by that much will not be able to match the 360. I'm not saying that's necissarily a bad thing, but it doesn't take rocket science to figure out that it's not going to be able to compete with the 360 or PS3 in the graphics department. And the 360 hasn't even gotten started yet, we are going to see graphics in a few years on that thing that is going to knock everyone's socks off.

Perhaps in a few years its superior technology will actually account for something, but I fear that by then the Xbox 360 will already dominate the market.

Have you SEEN the sales figures for Nintendo DS? It's doing extremely well. At this point, I dont think you could even consider Nintendo and Microsoft in the same market. That said, I think Microsoft is playing the high end market very well. Sony doesn't seem to know quite what it's doing anymore.

gdorf
04-09-2006, 12:42 AM
Have you SEEN the sales figures for Nintendo DS? It's doing extremely well. At this point, I dont think you could even consider Nintendo and Microsoft in the same market. That said, I think Microsoft is playing the high end market very well. Sony doesn't seem to know quite what it's doing anymore.

Nintendo has always dominated the handheld market. Unfortunately, as the Nintendo 64 and Gamecube sales have shown us, that is pretty irrelevent when it comes to the next major console war.

And, maybe its just me, but I'm pretty sure you just tried to disagree with me while saying basically the same thing? :rolleyes:

AlexMax
04-09-2006, 09:57 PM
Nintendo has always dominated the handheld market. Unfortunately, as the Nintendo 64 and Gamecube sales have shown us, that is pretty irrelevent when it comes to the next major console war.

We've already gotten to the next generation. Last generation was GBA vs......nothing of note. Now the Nintendo DS has done fantasticly compared to it's competition, the PSP. Sure, we could always speculate about what's coming NEXT after the DS, but Nintendo and Sony haven't even so much as HINTED at what's coming next, so your point is irrelivant, at least for a few years.

Here is, for the ignorant, the absolute latest information on the Revolution, courtisy of GDC 2006 and Something Awful forums:

Holy shit, clicky clicky (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1833419)

gdorf
04-10-2006, 02:40 AM
We've already gotten to the next generation. Last generation was GBA vs......nothing of note. Now the Nintendo DS has done fantasticly compared to it's competition, the PSP. Sure, we could always speculate about what's coming NEXT after the DS, but Nintendo and Sony haven't even so much as HINTED at what's coming next, so your point is irrelivant, at least for a few years.

You brought up handhelds out of the blue. I mentioned the Xbox 360, PS3, and Revolution, and you mentioned how great the DS is. What I'm trying to say is, that is irrelevent for the next major console war. Go back to my first post and tell me how you derived anything about a handheld out of that...

Now let me clarify what I was trying to say in my second post:

Nintendo has always done well in the handheld market, but that appears to have little correlation with how well they do with their consoles. Their only competition in the portable market is the PSP and maybe an N-gage if you want to be technical. Thus, even as the Gamecube and N64 had mediocre sales, the GBA and DS were still huge breadwinners.

However, Back in the world of Consoles they are a year behind the Xbox 360 which is more aligned with typical American Values. Therefore, I think the Xbox 360 will be king of the hill in the USA this time around. More Power + Fancy Graphics = American Desires.

Those are just my predictions, and let me restate that I am buying a Revolution because, as a gamer, I think it will offer me the most enjoyment at the lowest pricepoint. I just don't think that's how the average american will view things.

AlexMax
04-10-2006, 04:54 AM
Nintendo has always done well in the handheld market, but that appears to have little correlation with how well they do with their consoles. Their only competition in the portable market is the PSP and maybe an N-gage if you want to be technical. Thus, even as the Gamecube and N64 had mediocre sales, the GBA and DS were still huge breadwinners.

However, Back in the world of Consoles they are a year behind the Xbox 360 which is more aligned with typical American Values. Therefore, I think the Xbox 360 will be king of the hill in the USA this time around. More Power + Fancy Graphics = American Desires.

Those are just my predictions, and let me restate that I am buying a Revolution because, as a gamer, I think it will offer me the most enjoyment at the lowest pricepoint. I just don't think that's how the average american will view things.

I think you're missing my point. Despite that the DS is a handheald and the Revolution is a full system, what I am trying to communicate to you is that they're both based on the same philosiphy, that "gimmicks", done correctly, can sell here in America. The domestic success of the DS points to that.

gdorf
04-10-2006, 08:31 AM
I think you're missing my point. Despite that the DS is a handheald and the Revolution is a full system, what I am trying to communicate to you is that they're both based on the same philosiphy, that "gimmicks", done correctly, can sell here in America. The domestic success of the DS points to that.

I don't think that proves anything. Nintendo dominates the handheld market because their philosophy is well-suited for portable systems. People like simple, entertaining pick-up-and-go games on a handheld. As the PSP has shown us, graphics intensive systems aren't successful on a portable system because of screen limitations and battery life. In contrast, a cutesy two-dimensional game is perfect for the bus ride home.

The handheld and at-home markets are so different I think its pretty difficult to draw a correlation between the two. At this point I think Nintendo would be successful with just about any handheld they put out. That is obviously not the case in the much more competitive console market.

Cloral
04-10-2006, 02:42 PM
I should point out at this point that more people surveyed believe that in a year and a half they'll be playing the PC more than the 360. On this poll, the 360 ranked fourth, behind the PS3, Revolution, and PC. Does this mean that this will actually be the case? Not necessarily. But the 360 still has a ways to go to convince people.

MottZilla
04-10-2006, 04:20 PM
You can't compare two chipsets in straight megahertz to megahertz contests and come up with something, that's true. However, you can get - in general - a feel of processors raw power relative to each other. We already KNOW what the gamecube is capable of, and those specs scaled up by that much will not be able to match the 360. I'm not saying that's necissarily a bad thing, but it doesn't take rocket science to figure out that it's not going to be able to compete with the 360 or PS3 in the graphics department. And the 360 hasn't even gotten started yet, we are going to see graphics in a few years on that thing that is going to knock everyone's socks off.

Well obviously the Revolution won't be as graphically spectacular, but remember neither was the PS2 in its generation. The DreamCast at the same time gave the PS2 a run for it. The GameCube and the Xbox were capable of better. Yet, PS2 was huge. Nintendo might really be on to something not marketing for high end processing/graphics ubberifficness. Remember it's how the games play that make people really enjoy them. You don't need a very high end machine to make things people enjoy. And people enjoy getting to keep their arms and legs when they buy a system.

You know like Cloral mentioned in that poll, the Xbox 360 is nice and all, but like the Xbox, it features some great PC available titles. I already have a PC, and once I get a new video card it will run those titles. And when I build a newer PC in a year or two, it'll probably really give the Xbox 360 a run for it. The PS3 is a similar deal, if I'm gonna pay a huge amount for a system, I'm gonna buy a PC. I think the most I've ever paid for a console was 200$. This is why I'm so boring of the gaming market in a way. Too many focus on boring aspects, getting all this processing and graphics power and then making average games with nice graphics.

vegeta1215
04-10-2006, 09:48 PM
I think gdorf and AlexMax both make good points. btw, I found this other article which goes into a little detail on some of the neat things they're doing in this game. Sounds very cool to me: http://mozlapunk.web-log.nl/log/5500832