PDA

View Full Version : First build deadline?

jman2050
04-07-2006, 06:19 PM
Should I impose a deadline for the first stage of this quest? 2.11 won't be out fora while, but one of my concerns is whether the progress of Neofirst is moving along steadily.

Would you be comfortable with a deadline, or is there a good reason for me not to do that?

Rakki
04-07-2006, 06:36 PM
Not that I've really done anything productive for this quest yet, but I think maybe a deadline should be held off until the quest can start to be built. BH4 is working on rearranging the DoR tileset at the moment, which is apparently what is going to be used for the quest, so maybe a deadline should be set after that's done (if one IS going to be set).

Nimono
04-07-2006, 06:47 PM
Should I impose a deadline for the first stage of this quest? 2.11 won't be out fora while, but one of my concerns is whether the progress of Neofirst is moving along steadily.

Would you be comfortable with a deadline, or is there a good reason for me not to do that?
In my opinion, there shouldn't be a deadline. I think that the more time is spent on making the quest, the better it'd be. But that's just me.

rocksfan13
04-08-2006, 12:09 PM
Yeah. I'd worry more about a deadline when it becomes more apparent to when the official release is going to be. I agree with pika and rakki. The longer we take on it, the better.

Besides, I know BH4 is very hard at work on the beginings of it.

Shoelace
04-08-2006, 02:57 PM
Yeah, I have the plans for the first level and I am just awaiting the quest file to make the first level. BH4 is making the overworld or something in that nature (and organizing the DoR like Rakki said), so yeah.

The only thing is pikaguy900, there has to be a deadline for the game because it is suppose to release with version 2.11. I just don't think jman wants it to be a 9 month project. Which trust me it's not. However, BH4 knows all, so we have to see what he says. :P

ShadowTiger
04-08-2006, 09:34 PM
Well, I'm glad you asked, jman. Concerning the deadline itself:

1) If there is a Deadline, the quest may not have as many entities finished as it can, but it'd be finished, as I'd do anything I have to to GET IT finished, albeit in lesser quality.

2)[/b] If there is [i]no deadline, we can always just release it with the build released AFTER 2.11. The more time we have to work with it, the better. Besides, there's nothing that says that we can't just add all the new features worked on after 2.11 into the quest. :p After all, this is "NeoFirst.qst" .. Not "2.11 Exhbition.qst" I'm sure people wouldn't mind it being released a few months later. ;) It can still be included in any new release. I don't really think there needs to be a deadline for it, unless you can see something that I can't pertaining the necessity to release it.

So, indeed, as others have said, I'm currently structuring the DoR set and optimizing it for tileset use. I have a lot of ideas for it, but I'm also wondering just how practical things should be with it. I'm sure many, many labels will need to be used, (Which the DoR set is practically known for, in a way.) It'll need those "tutorial" areas, certainly, I suppose, (Though that has yet to be determined for sure.)

I'm also trying to figure out if I should reorganize all of those floors with the borders overlapped onto it. There are TONS of them there, and even shifting around all those combos into something relational takes fully five to ten minutes at least. Think we should just delete all those?

jman2050
04-08-2006, 09:54 PM
well, not a deadline for the whole quest per se. I mean deadlines for parts of it. So I can make sure it's actually being worked on at a smooth pace.

ShadowTiger
04-08-2006, 10:36 PM
Well, I for one have everything else on hold right now, as my AMD PC is kinda in the dumps, (Nobody seems to know what's wrong with it, but it won't turn on at all.) ... And that's sort of my ZC 2.11 machine, so I'm working without any sound or music whatsoever, so any hearable theming I do is done outside of ZQuest / ZC right now. >_<' (Strict Midi in Allegro is restricting me from hearing sound or midis or MP3's and such. At least on this Pentium II Machine.) and I have spring Breaker coming in a few days, (Wednesday.) so I'll be able to rocket progress upward.

BTW, I got those ammo markers in. :D (Arrow 1, Arrow 5, Arrow 10, Arrow 30, Bomb 1, Bomb 4, Bomb 8, Bomb 30, etc. Lots of 2.11 Beta 10b features as well.

Oh, but .. yeah, .. deadlines for -parts- would be nice. :)

Really though, we NEED a good solid foundation, so I want to import all the elements for the tileset first.