PDA

View Full Version : encrypt mp3's and restrict extraction.

Nicholas Steel
04-07-2006, 09:02 AM
make it so that we can either encrypt/embed or include an mp3 for use in our quests... and add an option so you can prevent people from pressing escape and going through the menus and just listen/extract the music.

if these 2 suggestions are fullfilled i would add some decent music to my quest...

also these suggestions force people to play your quest to listen to the music rather then just to extract the music from it.

Questwizard88
04-07-2006, 09:29 AM
I would definitely like to see the ability to have mp3s embedded in the quest itself, but I don't think we'd need to go as far as disabling the menus and stuff while they are playing.

Nicholas Steel
04-07-2006, 10:33 AM
only disable one option in the menues and that option is where you look at midi info... because if thats enabled then it means you cant put copy protected music in your quest because other people can access that music. (its giving music away for free)

sooner or later the midi info option will be replaced with music info.

ShadowTiger
04-07-2006, 10:37 AM
only disable one option in the menues and that option is where you look at midi info... because if thats enabled then it means you cant put copy protected music in your quest because other people can access that music. (its giving music away for free)But you've gotten it for free, haven't you? :p If it was copy protected, you wouldn't be putting it into your quest in the first place. OR ARE YOU? :blah:

Questwizard88
04-07-2006, 12:10 PM
I definitely wouldn't put copy-protected ones in either. That's why I'm looking for MIDI versions of all the songs I want to use, except for the My Will remix that I downloaded off the Anime Remix site.

Rakki
04-07-2006, 06:07 PM
I think the idea behind disabling music ripping is to keep people from stealing CUSTOM music from quests. I certainly plan to have custom music in at least one of my quests, and that's a concern for me as well.

Nicholas Steel
04-07-2006, 08:36 PM
except for it being used for personal gain... i see no reason not to use an mp3 of a song in your quest so long as you can prevent people from just taking the mp3.

and what rakki said also concerns me.

cbailey78
05-20-2006, 02:03 PM
Getting the music for free and encrypting it is not fair!

Rakki
05-23-2006, 09:24 PM
No, but spending hours creating a custom piece, then having it taken and used without any reguard to the creator isn't fair either, now is it? =/

Revfan9
05-24-2006, 10:05 PM
I'm all for the music protecting, but I don't like the sound of MP3 encryption. Allowing MP3 encryption is like telling dial-up users that they can't play other's quests. I really don't want every quest to be 50megs. Some of you ignorant cable users will remark at this comment "Get into the 21st century you n00b!", but they do not realize that some of us live in more rural areas, and DSL/Cable is not available to them, like me ;_; *wears the sad panda hat*.

Sure, there's hughsnet, but most people don't want to be kicked off the internet every time a cloud goes overhead. I have sattelite TV, so I know this is an exaggeration, but what if your home just doesn't have a clear view of the southern sky? What if you live in a woodland area and there are trees on your home's southern side? Now you trolls aren't going to tell us to move to another location just to get broadband? Surely your not THAT dumb! And Hughsnet is extremly expensive. I haven't looked into the actual price, but the ads say taht you can get a $200 rebate, and if you can take $200 off the price tag, that's not a good thing. And I'm sure the monthly cost is just as insane.

And I agree with you, Rakki. If one playing a quest hears music they like, they can just ask the quest maker. And BTW, it's "regard".

Nicholas Steel
05-25-2006, 02:09 AM
I'm all for the music protecting, but I don't like the sound of MP3 encryption. Allowing MP3 encryption is like telling dial-up users that they can't play other's quests. I really don't want every quest to be 50megs. Some of you ignorant cable users will remark at this comment "Get into the 21st century you n00b!", but they do not realize that some of us live in more rural areas, and DSL/Cable is not available to them, like me ;_; *wears the sad panda hat*.

mp3 encryption allows for copy righted mp3's (to an extent) however we all know that large quests souly for there sheer number of mp3's wont be downloaded much at all... this in turn will encourage people to use small numbers of mp3's.

Sephiroth
05-25-2006, 12:33 PM
Personally, I wouldn't use MP3s, but ZC doesn't allow files such as PSF to be used either.. PSF can net you the same quality, but with almost a sixteenth of the file size! :o Now that's good.

And Rakki, I strongly aggree with your argument there.

Sure, there's hughsnet, but most people don't want to be kicked off the internet every time a cloud goes overhead. I have sattelite TV, so I know this is an exaggeration, but what if your home just doesn't have a clear view of the southern sky? What if you live in a woodland area and there are trees on your home's southern side? Now you trolls aren't going to tell us to move to another location just to get broadband? Surely your not THAT dumb! And Hughsnet is extremly expensive. I haven't looked into the actual price, but the ads say taht you can get a $200 rebate, and if you can take $200 off the price tag, that's not a good thing. And I'm sure the monthly cost is just as insane.

And I agree with you, Rakki. If one playing a quest hears music they like, they can just ask the quest maker. And BTW, it's "regard".

Alas, but I am also in the same boat as you with the chance of getting DSL soon at an all time low..

http://sephiro.co.nr/uploads/yay!.png <- Taken from a DSL subscribers' website. I also wouldn't want to see quests become greater than 50MBs or even 10MBs as it just rapes my modem. :|

Revfan9
05-25-2006, 04:42 PM
mp3 encryption allows for copy righted mp3's (to an extent) however we all know that large quests souly for there sheer number of mp3's wont be downloaded much at all... this in turn will encourage people to use small numbers of mp3's.
You'd be suprised at what we humans will do, Franpa.

Nicholas Steel
05-25-2006, 09:51 PM
unless popular music was implemented in the quest i dont think many will download it. (if its over 10mb)

Revfan9
05-26-2006, 12:05 AM
Again, you'd be suprised as to what people will do. We allowed Clinton to remain in office for 8 years, and we allowed Bush to be re-elected. Human stupidity is like an endless fountain.

But back on topic... Well I really have no more to say on the subject.

Freedom
05-26-2006, 12:31 AM
The problem with mp3's is they are just too large.
I chop 1 down to 600K to use as an overworld theme and then use a few dinky ones for sound effects but other than that midis are the way to go.
I have a Pharoah game that uses all MP3's and just them alone in the folder comes to 80 megs, and that's not a lot of music.
I know that if they were to become a standard in Zelda Classic then it wouldn't be long before DSL users would be passing out 20 meg quests, and they wouldn't think twice about dial up users, we already had one here at 18 megs a short while back, I forget who that was, and then he reuploaded it several times with bug fixes and had them re-downloading all that music again each time too.

Revfan9
05-26-2006, 11:40 PM
My point exactly, freedom.

Gerudo
05-27-2006, 04:30 PM
thats why you make two versions of a quest. i know editting the DMAP settings is like, as easy as dropping food on your carpet.

either that or make a music pack, bundling the mp3 soundtrack with the quest itself is just ignorance.

Freedom
05-27-2006, 04:38 PM
thats why you make two versions of a quest. i know editting the DMAP settings is like, as easy as dropping food on your carpet.

either that or make a music pack, bundling the mp3 soundtrack with the quest itself is just ignorance.

I agree, but every quest I've uploaded to the database here they have required me to put both music and quest files in one zip. ;)

Gerudo
05-27-2006, 04:50 PM
well, i know that good webspace is rarity to come by.

what i meant was upload the quest no problem, but if it does have an mp3 soundtrack, it could be offered by alternate download. i know Pure and the ZC-QDB allow you to post a description about your quest.

It's a hassle, but until larger music soundtracks for quests becomes "mainstream" (for lack of better terms), maybe as you said, midi music is the way to go.

Freedom
05-27-2006, 05:02 PM
Yea, I have all my quests on my own server, with music files all separate for download.
The thing that's nice about putting them on the database here is that when I'm dead and gone there will be a place that people can still get them to play, but I do think it would be better if they had seperate download here as well, not everyone wants my sfx.dat and music files, plus bundling them together to upload here is just another step and upload I have to set through, since they are already on my server unbundled.
I'd really hate to see them embeded into the quest file, quests are getting big enough just by themselves.

Nicholas Steel
05-28-2006, 01:45 AM
how bout keep the mp3's seperate... and have them as a second download... upon playing the quest it will search for the mp3's if it finds them it will encrypt and embedd them... if it doesnt then it falls back to midi files?

Revfan9
05-29-2006, 05:08 PM
Yes, but that would be something taht the quest maker would have to do, not the actual program. And as with all newbies, if the program doesn't do it automatically, they won't do it.

And what about people who don't have hyper-fast comps? It takes about 7 seconds to load up TLD, and it's around a meg now. The average MP3 music file is 9-10MB. So 40 music tracks=400MB. Load times are gonna be hell.

Nicholas Steel
05-30-2006, 12:29 AM
re-read what i said... what i said was that the mp3's can be kept seperate and if you did download them they will automaticaly get encrypted into the quest file.