PDA

View Full Version : New South Park Episode on Wednesday

erm2003
04-03-2006, 06:55 PM
From the Comedy Central Press Release:
Why does Cartman hate "Family Guy" so much? It's all-new episode of "South Park" premiering Wednesday, April 5 at 10:00 P.M. on Comedy Central

Kyle loves "Family Guy" and hates Cartman. The two boys embark upon a mad chase across the country and the fate of "Family Guy" lies with the first boy to reach Hollywood in all new episode of "South Park" titled "Cartoon Wars," premiering Wednesday, April 5 at 10:00 p.m. on Comedy Central.

From South Park Studios (http://www.southparkstudios.com). This sounds interesting! Any comments?

Cloral
04-03-2006, 07:20 PM
You can never tell if an episode is going to be funny from the description. Last season I thought the whale episode was going to be retarded, but it turned out to be really funny. Likewise, I think this one sounds stupid, but who knows? It seems like they focus on the hatred between Cartman and Kyle too much lately.

Darth Marsden
04-04-2006, 05:21 AM
Indeedy. I thought the description of last weeks episode wasn't that great, but it turned out to be pretty funny. Still, anything involving Family Guy gets my vote. That show rocks. Well, two days to go. (For me, anyway.)

Darth Marsden
04-06-2006, 05:52 AM
Sorry for the double post, but who saw this episode and, like me, thought it was absolutely hilarious? The parody of Family Guy they show just hit the nail on the head, and that chase sequence..! Had me in stitches.

Shoelace
04-06-2006, 06:18 AM
That episode was funny. :P I laughed out loud with the Family Guy parody. lol. I think Family Guy needs to fight back. lol.

erm2003
04-06-2006, 07:11 AM
The parody of Family Guy they show just hit the nail on the head, and that chase sequence..! Had me in stitches.

It was pretty funny! The parody was well done, you said it.

Next week they are going to show who is responsible for writing the show. That makes me curious... anyone thinking crab people? :D

rocksfan13
04-06-2006, 08:42 AM
Nah. I think it's Dick Chaney.

I think that episode is one of their best. I love how they ended it.

I would love to see Family Guy fire back at them!

Maybe even another cross over movie, but better than the Flintstones, Jetsons cross over. That one was just stupid.

Darth Marsden
04-06-2006, 08:55 AM
No crossovers, no crossovers! Augh, the mental images!

Watches Dharma & Greg, gives self brain enema

Yeah, I think Crab People as well. Can't wait for next week!

zoraking
04-06-2006, 05:50 PM
They attacked Family Guy because, like me, they despise the show. It was supposed to be anti-Family Guy and by watching it I can clearly see the subliminal dialogue agreeing to this. It was not supposed to show Family Guy is a great show, but many people aren't watching the episode close enought to realise this. One example: Cartman said he never wanted to be compare to Family Guy's humor.

From Wikipedia:

South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone have expressed their discontent at being put at the same comedic level as Family Guy. When questioned about the meanest thing anyone ever said to them, Stone replied "When people say to me, 'God, you guys have one of the best shows on television. You and Family Guy.' That fucking hurts so bad", to which Parker agreed: "Very well said. It's such a kick in the balls."

Darth Marsden
04-07-2006, 04:46 AM
They may well be two very different shows, but they're both very good in their own way and I love them both, as I'm sure lots of people do. That said, a lot of the points raised in the SP episode do ring true - there are a lot of interchangable jokes, completely irrelevant to the plot. Of course, that's part of FGs charm, and it just wouldn't be the same without it, but I can see why a lot of people would get annoyed with it.

zoraking
04-07-2006, 07:52 AM
I understand that it is part of it's charm but, sometimes the flashback jokes have nothing to do with the plot. Last night I had to watch it and they were at a theme park and somehow it focused on Stephen King. I was like "wtf?".

Another show that's creators hate Family Guy are The Simpsons. I remember watching it one time and in a Halloween Episode, one of the producers Halloween name was "Family Guy", which was to strike fear in the hearts of Simpsons' Viewers. Also many times in The Simpsons, they have accused Family Guy of plagiarism.

Solaris_Omega
04-07-2006, 08:16 AM
I understand that it is part of it's charm but, sometimes the flashback jokes have nothing to do with the plot. Last night I had to watch it and they were at a theme park and somehow it focused on Stephen King. I was like "wtf?".

Another show that's creators hate Family Guy are The Simpsons. I remember watching it one time and in a Halloween Episode, one of the producers Halloween name was "Family Guy", which was to strike fear in the hearts of Simpsons' Viewers. Also many times in The Simpsons, they have accused Family Guy of plagiarism.

Ever watched Monty Python? There is no set humor method. There are a billion ways to make people laugh. George Carlin does it through taking something normal, then adding something extremely out of place, Lewis Black does it through anger. Dane Cook is a fair mix between the two. If you mean that all humor should be like SouthPark, then you would be right, but there was Family Guy style humor long before Family Guy and SouthPark, and hopefully there will continue to be for a long time to come.

SeirraMist
04-07-2006, 08:33 AM
Ever watched Monty Python? There is no set humor method. There are a billion ways to make people laugh. George Carlin does it through taking something normal, then adding something extremely out of place, Lewis Black does it through anger. Dane Cook is a fair mix between the two. If you mean that all humor should be like SouthPark, then you would be right, but there was Family Guy style humor long before Family Guy and SouthPark, and hopefully there will continue to be for a long time to come.
Monty Python generally always does have a point of some degree. There are some random acts involved at times, but they are generally always linked to one main idea of the episode... Family Guy just kinda has random things everywhere, and while it was somewhat smart at first, its becoming increasingly annoying and less thought through as it used to be.

I loved that episode... cant wait til next week when they show the ending :)

Anyone else think they are focusing to much on Kyle and Cartmans hatred to much this series? Almost every episode has had a centeral theme around it so far...

Darth Marsden
04-07-2006, 12:47 PM
When it stops being funny, they'll stop focusing on it. Seriously though, this episode is more about Cartman's hatred of Family Guy then his hatred of Kyle. Right..? I dunno, maybe I need to watch it again... ;)

On a somewhat related note, I did some replacement sleeves for my South Park DVDs a month or so ago. Have a look, see what you think:

The Games (http://homepages.tesco.net/steveemarsden/SP/DVD-01-Games.jpg)
The Specials (http://homepages.tesco.net/steveemarsden/SP/DVD-02-Specials.jpg)
The Music (http://homepages.tesco.net/steveemarsden/SP/DVD-03-Music.jpg)
The First Series (http://homepages.tesco.net/steveemarsden/SP/DVD-04-Series01.jpg)
The Second Series (http://homepages.tesco.net/steveemarsden/SP/DVD-05-Series02.jpg)
The Third Series (http://homepages.tesco.net/steveemarsden/SP/DVD-06-Series03.jpg)
Bigger, Longer & Uncut (http://homepages.tesco.net/steveemarsden/SP/DVD-07-Film.jpg)
The Fourth Series (http://homepages.tesco.net/steveemarsden/SP/DVD-08-Series04.jpg)
The Fifth Series (http://homepages.tesco.net/steveemarsden/SP/DVD-09-Series05.jpg)
The Sixth Series (http://homepages.tesco.net/steveemarsden/SP/DVD-10-Series06.jpg)
The Seventh Series (http://homepages.tesco.net/steveemarsden/SP/DVD-11-Series07.jpg)
The Eighth Series (http://homepages.tesco.net/steveemarsden/SP/DVD-12-Series08.jpg)
The Ninth Series (http://homepages.tesco.net/steveemarsden/SP/DVD-13-Series09.jpg)

Rainman
04-07-2006, 12:57 PM
Anyone else think they are focusing to much on Kyle and Cartmans hatred to much this series? Almost every episode has had a centeral theme around it so far...
It's pretty much the central conflict of the whole series so I don't think they can stop focusing on it.

Cloral
04-07-2006, 06:53 PM
They never used to focus on it. Kyle and Cartman have never liked each other much, but it was usually limited to a fat joke and a Jew joke here and there. It seems like in their focus on this one conflict Stan and Kenny have become marginalized, and it's a shame. It has limited the variety in their plot lines because you know those two are always going to be against each other.

The Family Guy parody was spot on. Peter trying out to be David Haselhoff's car was something they would definately do. But, like South Park, it hasn't always been this way. If you watch the episodes they show on Adult Swim from the first season, they had far fewer flashbacks and they were usually relevant to the story. Like one episode where they go to a time share presentation under the promotion that they'll receive a boat. At the end of the presentation, they are given the choice of the boat or the mystery box. Peter of course decides to take the box - which turns out to be tickets to a comedy club. On the way home Lois is pissed off, but Peter says, "Oh come on, I've done stupid things before. Like remember that time we could've gotten that boat?" And then it flashes back to the previous scene with Peter picking the mystery box. The show is still usually funny, but I think they need to focus on making more relevant references and being more original (when they show the irrelevant flashbacks they usually just spoof something rather than coming up with their own plots and situations).

What I'm curious to see in this 2 part episode isn't who they have writing Family Guy, but if they show Mohammad in it. After all that's happened recently I wonder if they and Comedy Central have the balls to stand up for free speech they way they claimed at the professor's presentation where he recommended that everyone bury their heads in the sand.

erm2003
04-07-2006, 07:18 PM
What I'm curious to see in this 2 part episode isn't who they have writing Family Guy, but if they show Mohammad in it. After all that's happened recently I wonder if they and Comedy Central have the balls to stand up for free speech they way they claimed at the professor's presentation where he recommended that everyone bury their heads in the sand.

That's a good point. I have a feeling they will because the point they are making is that it's the context that it's in that should be more important than anything. Their parody was just showing the prophet, not actually making fun of Muslims at all. Remember, South Park has already shown the prophet Mohammad on one of their episodes. Mohammad was one of the Super Best Friends and he had the power of fire. I don't remember any complaints then because he wasn't shown in a negative way. It's all about context.

Cronic
04-07-2006, 07:23 PM
am i like the only one who's comepletely over south park? Don't get me wrong I'm not pro familoy guy ...theyre both pretty eqaully played out I guess, but if southpark isn't preaching some dumb message theyre showing you their version of last weeks news ...These guys used to be really creative with their shows and materials ....I mean come on....

bigboylink
04-07-2006, 09:09 PM
Dude, one of the reasons I love South Park is because their episodes are so well timed with current events. It really adds a nice extra element of comedy that no other animated series (that I know of) can pull off. Only recently have people been complaining about Family Guy jumping the shark, so the SP response was much appreciated. Here are some other highlights where a SP episode dealt with events that occurred very recently. They definitely wouldn't have been as funny had the episodes been released say six months later.

Mel Gibson’s Passion of the Christ was released in theatres on Feb 25, 2004. The SP episode “The Passion of the Jew” aired on March 31, 2004.

Queer Eye for the Straight Guy first aired on Bravo in July 15, 2003, took a little while to become popularly controversial, and then on Oct 22, 2003, bam - SP has their hilarious mockery.

Not sure about actual dates (2004), but the episode “Stupid Spoiled Whore Video Playset” was released only a few weeks after the Paris Hilton sex tape scandal.

And on a semi-related note, the February 27th, 2002 rerun of the episode where Cartman faces off against Osama Bin Laden in the “Bugs Bunny versus Elmer Fudd” style occured in the week following the death of legendary Warner Bros. cartoon director Chuck Jones.

Family Guy and The Simpsons regularly take about 6 months to crank out an episode, so they can’t produce the kind of current-events spoofs that SP can. There’s definitely a nice tradeoff for producing low-budget construction paper animation.

goKi
04-07-2006, 09:44 PM
You forgot the best one, bigboylink. The episode where they found Saddam Hussein in Canada aired less than 2 weeks after they captured him.

bigboylink
04-07-2006, 09:53 PM
Hah, I can't believe I forgot that one. You would've thought Parker and Stone caught Saddam themselves but kept the news hidden so they'd have enough time to make the episode.

erm2003
04-08-2006, 07:49 AM
There was also the parody of the 2000 presidential election that aired a week after the election. The trapper keeper episode from season 4 where Garrison was running the elections for class president in kindergarten and one student, Flora, was undecided.

Darth Marsden
04-08-2006, 10:17 AM
That's the absolute beauty of having episodes that only take 4 days to make - you can make fun of things that are really relevant. That's what made 2D-TV over here in the UK so popular. Then again, comparing the Rooneys to the Flintstones is going to get you points whatever.

The Rooneys - Wayne Rooney, the Man Utd footballer, and his fiancee Colleen McLoughlin, the uber-chav

EDIT: And will someone please comment on my DVD Sleeves? (See my previous post) I did spend about a week on them.

AlexMax
04-08-2006, 10:35 AM
I can imagine it now.

"Hey guy's remember that time when kenny died?"
<flashes back to every single instance of kenny dying>

Ugh.

Darth Marsden
04-08-2006, 01:15 PM
Go watch the series 2 episode 'City on the Edge of Forever' (also known as Flashbacks). Try here (http://www.southparkstuff.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=7&id=43&Itemid=102) if you don't have it on DVD/Video/whatever. The boys flash back to certain events in their lives... with a twist.

Cronic
04-08-2006, 02:40 PM
Family Guy and The Simpsons regularly take about 6 months to crank out an episode, so they can’t produce the kind of current-events spoofs that SP can. There’s definitely a nice tradeoff for producing low-budget construction paper animation.

Thats my point ....

it's not even the crude presentation or construction paper ...i like that aspect of it's animation, but the content itself s really stale and super predictable

It's pretty much the same as eating a bullshit microwave burrito when had you waited a little while longer for something to cook you could have had a decent meal....sorry but if I were all that keen on what happened last week i'd watch the news or socialize

Darth Marsden
04-11-2006, 06:05 PM
Fair enough. Personally, I think that now the team have realised they can cover recent events, they're doing so. There's only so many Mecha-Streisand episodes you can do, after all.

Contrary to what I was half expecting, they actually are continuing the story:

This Week on South Park: Cartoon Wars Part II
After leaving Kyle injured on the side of the road, Cartman races to the headquarters of “Family Guy” determined to put an end to the show once and for all.
Can't imagine what they'll do, except that it'll probably feature Crab People.

Cloral
04-11-2006, 06:08 PM
Actually, there was an episode not too long ago (can't remember which one) where they stated that the concept of crab people was really stupid. So I don't think they're gonna go that route again.

Darth Marsden
04-12-2006, 06:01 AM
To the best of my knowledge, there's been 2 episodes of South Park featuring the Crab People - Series 7's South Park is Gay, where the Queer Eye guys are revealed to be Crab people plotting to take over the earth by making everyone metrosexual and therefore really wimpy; and Series 9's Two Days Before The Day After Tomorrow, where they're blamed for blowing up the beaver dam when it was actually Stan and Cartman. I suspect the episode you're referring to is the second one.

Dear god, I'm such a nerd. :(

Cloral
04-13-2006, 01:53 AM
Sigh... that episode was pretty stupid. It had some laughs in parts - I liked Bart writing "I hate family guy" on the wall - but them pussing out in the end and not showing Mohammand was pretty weak.

erm2003
04-13-2006, 05:50 AM
Having Comedy Central ultimately "censor" Mohammad was probably getting back at their own network. Comedy Central would not show repeat epsidoes of Trapped in the Closet and Bloody Mary because of complaints by different group. That was also why in the end of the first part they said Comedy Central may puss out. Really, these two epsidoes ripped on everyone.

Did anyone else think in those first few minutes they were pulling off another Not Without My Anus incident from season 2? This was when they aired another episode instead of part II to Cartman's Mom is a Dirty Slut. I almost lost it! Nice tie in.

rocksfan13
04-13-2006, 08:44 AM
Sigh... that episode was pretty stupid. It had some laughs in parts - I liked Bart writing "I hate family guy" on the wall - but them pussing out in the end and not showing Mohammand was pretty weak.

Definately lame. WTF? Manatees? Come on now. They could have done better than that. I do agree with having Bart in it though, was a good add. But the whole episode just plain sucked.

I've come to expect better. Oh well. We'll see what's new next week. Hope it's better than this crap.

Darth Marsden
04-13-2006, 01:57 PM
It had it's moments, but it wasn't quite what I expected. Not entirely sure what to make of it, really. I think I liked it, but...

mikeron
04-14-2006, 12:10 AM
Sigh... that episode was pretty stupid. It had some laughs in parts - I liked Bart writing "I hate family guy" on the wall - but them pussing out in the end and not showing Mohammand was pretty weak.They knew Comedy Central would censor Muhammed, which is why they had that part with Jesus at the end. The point is the huge double standard: you can't show Muhammed at all, but you can show Jesus doing whatever you want. Weak, so weak. John Ziegler's going off on it right now.