PDA

View Full Version : What would you have done?

rocksfan13
03-30-2006, 11:46 AM
SAN FRANCISCO - John Suhrhoff found a Louis Vuitton bag on a Sausalito park bench.

Inside, police say, were a 12-carat diamond ring, pearl and emerald jewelry, a Cartier watch and roughly $500 in cash. The contents were worth $1 million.

But the respiratory therapist didn't think of heading to a pawn shop — he took the bag to police Monday afternoon.

Sausalito police said Suhrhoff had thought the bag contained costume jewelry.

It was unclear whether the family offered him a reward.

I'm not too sure what I would have done. Maybe 70% cahnce that I'd have returned it.

Aegix Drakan
03-30-2006, 12:00 PM
:( I'm too honorable for my own good. I would have returned it.

moocow
03-30-2006, 12:39 PM
To be completely honest, I don't know what I would have done. I may have taken the bag to the police because of the jewelry, a lot of times diamonds and other stones that are in high value are registered or insured, so if you pawned it, there's a chance you could get in trouble...

ShadowTiger
03-30-2006, 12:56 PM
You know, ... there's a piece of me that says that you should just leave the bag where it is. You know know, really, ... its owner may be returning very shortly to take it back. If they find it missing, they'd get all paranoid and start calling cops and such. If you're in the process of returning it just as they call, at least they'd know where it is, but it's very difficult to prove that you're not just stealing if it you claim that you're on the way to the cops without having reached the station yet. You could get busted for that alone, despite your intentions.

ZTC
03-30-2006, 01:15 PM
but then, why would a person leave it there in the first place? Not a very smart thing to do...

Either way, I'd turn it in to the cops and have them deal with it.

Beldaran
03-30-2006, 01:22 PM
You pretty much have to return it. If you kept it, the IRS would be all over you for suddenly acquiring a million bucks.

Glenn the Great
03-30-2006, 03:35 PM
It would be too dangerous to keep it. The owner of these things accidently forgot them on the bench, and would go crazy when she realized she didn't have them. The cops would be all over the place, and being that it is a park, there could easily be a witness that says you lifted the bag.

MottZilla
03-30-2006, 05:59 PM
You could always have someone with you to confirm your story. Or you could just find the police or call them to come get the items. But really, you might as well just not do anything. It's not your problem then.

Sir_Johnamus
03-30-2006, 06:07 PM
I would have returned it. Karma would kill me if I stole it.

VEL
03-30-2006, 07:10 PM
If I saw a bag sitting on a bench, I probably wouldn't even touch it, I'd just leave it alone.

Monica
03-30-2006, 07:20 PM
Same as VEL for me, I wouldn't mess with something that didn't belong to me.

firefly
03-30-2006, 07:32 PM
I would keep it!!!
No, the truth is that I could get in trouble if I stole it, I'd return it.

EDIT: 700 posts!