PDA

View Full Version : AIM Triton

Monica
03-27-2006, 08:59 PM
Does anyone have AIM Triton? Is it any good? Does it still have spyware in it? It looks neat, but I'm using Trillian, is it worth leaving Trillian?

Masamune
03-27-2006, 09:00 PM
No. Stay with Trillian. It is your friend. <3

Cloral
03-27-2006, 09:30 PM
Trillian > AIM. My computer started starting up faster when I switched (not to mention the fact that AIM pops up a news page every time which is another click I have to do to get rid of it).

Tygore
03-27-2006, 09:32 PM
I tried Triton once. It made me cry.

Well, not really. But I didn't really ever consider making a permanent switch from Trillian.

vegeta1215
03-27-2006, 09:35 PM
I haven't tried AIM Triton, but I read a little bit about it. It looks like they've added a lot of cool features, and really changed all the interfaces around (some look cleaner). It wouldn't hurt to try it out, but really, if what you have works for you, stick with that.

I use Gaim and I love it.

Monica
03-27-2006, 09:40 PM
Thanks guys, I'll stay with Trillian. :) I already knew that it owned AIM, I guess why I wanted to switch back was because people would IM me when I had AIM (not always nice people but I just blocked them) but I need new people to talk to lol. Nobody new ever IMs Trillian :/ lol

Orion
03-27-2006, 09:54 PM
iChat = Greater than all.

Saffith
03-27-2006, 10:28 PM
I guess why I wanted to switch back was because people would IM me when I had AIM (not always nice people but I just blocked them) but I need new people to talk to lol. Nobody new ever IMs Trillian :/ lolCan't you connect to the AIM network with Trillian? I thought it was compatible.
If not, there's always Gaim.

Monica
03-27-2006, 10:40 PM
Yes it does, and I forgot about that. I just filled in a bit more stuff. :)

me2
03-27-2006, 10:44 PM
I tried AIM Triton for a month. It took up WAY too much CPU and would install AOL Explorer (which automatically starts up when AIM does). It takes way too long to send and recieve messages, and is just plain bad.

Listen to vegeta, get gaim.

Masamune
03-27-2006, 10:44 PM
iChat = Greater than all.

Ugh. Are you serious? I can't stand iChat. -_-

erm2003
03-27-2006, 11:05 PM
I have been using AIM Triton myself, but not the regular one through AIM. If you download the program called AIM Ad Hack (http://aftermath.dyndns.org:8888/~aimadhack/) (click the name for the link) you can download the latest beta of AIM Triton and it also gets rid of all the ads and will do other nice things like block the installation of AOL Explorer. It also has some other nice features as well. For those interesting in trying out Triton, use this.

Monica
03-27-2006, 11:07 PM
Is Gaim or Trillian better? Does Gaim have all the stuff Trillian Pro does?

Flash Man
03-28-2006, 01:33 AM
I downloaded it thinking that I could not get the old version after cleaning up my systems. I tried to direct connect, or someone tried it with me, and it was either incompatible or the new one could not perform the operation. I went and downloaded the older version and it works just fine for me.

vegeta1215
03-28-2006, 02:27 AM
Is Gaim or Trillian better? Does Gaim have all the stuff Trillian Pro does?

Gaim is great, but I'm sure it doesn't have all the features that Trillian Pro has. So I guess it depends on what you like. Oh, another reason why I use Gaim:

From the Trillian FAQ:
Is there Mac or Linux support?
No.

Monica
03-28-2006, 01:43 PM
Ahhh well that's weird, I dunno why but I thought Trillian was on Linux...O_o Well, the only OS allowed in my house is Windows, so I don't really think about OS ports too much. I did look on Gaim's site and noticed it started for Linux and was ported to Windows, and it does have Trillian Pro's "Meta-contacts" (Which is just combining the same person's S/N's) but Trillian does support voice chat (I don't have a webcam and neither does anyone I would want to use one with so I don't care about video) So I guess Gaim is the Trillian equivelent for Linux. :)

Cloral
03-28-2006, 04:06 PM
When I had Linux on my machine at home I used Gaim on it. It worked pretty well. I don't remember though, does Gaim allow you to speak with various IM services, or just AIM?

Monica
03-28-2006, 04:55 PM
When I had Linux on my machine at home I used Gaim on it. It worked pretty well. I don't remember though, does Gaim allow you to speak with various IM services, or just AIM?

The site said it connects to all the main ones, plus some I've never heard of before...O_o

koopa
03-29-2006, 02:52 AM
GAIM works for me for AIM, MSN, and IRC. And there's about 6 others that I haven't tried. I like GAIM because it has all the features I need, but not hundreds of useless extras. Comparing it to Triton, I'd say it's small but beautiful.