PDA

View Full Version : Dmap Cycling

idontknow
03-26-2006, 05:02 PM
I know i've suggested linking timed warps before, butthat didn't catch a lot of attention & this idea is a more practical and likely easier to implement & easy to use.

What someone else called "Seasonal Dmaps", because of how it could be applied to making an overworld with several seasons, i'd like to call it: "Dmap Cycling"

There'd be a new tab in the Dmap Editor for it, with the following options:

--Timed Dmap Cycle (or Warp) Tics: How much time elapses while on that dmap before you warp.
--Next Dmap: You pick from a dropdown menu which dmap Link warps to.
--Direct Dmap Warp: A checkbox so that you don't need to select the warp arrival point for each screen for the arrival dmap.
--Warp Type: A dropdown menu similar to the one in the sidewarp & tilewarp editor. You can select whether the dmap cycles instantly (with no transition effect) or after fading to black, or with a zap effect, and so forth.
--Use Warp Arrival: A dropdown menu where you could pick A, B, C, or D. This cannot be chosen, nor does it need to be, if direct dmap warp is checked.

*Note: that there's no warp destination screen. Why? Because the warp destinations are the same screen coordinates, but on the dmap you have selected as the next dmap.

That's all you have to set! This would make it so that while on any screen in that dmap, you would warp after being on that dmap for a total amount of tics (which doesn't reset after moving from screen to screen by the way) But does reset when you leave that dmap & return.

Also, all warps still apply to each screen, even timed warps. So dmap cycling does not conflict with these warps. i.e. If a timed warp happens to occur before the dmap cycling, you will follow the sidewarp destination instead.

Here's a crappy mock-up of it:

http://www.geocities.com/know_it_all8/mockup.bmp

With this, there could be a few screen flags:
--Null Dmap Cycle: If a dmap has a cycle set in the dmap editor, any screen apart of that dmap with this screen flag checked will not cycle. Good for areas of your overworld, such as towns perhaps, where time seizes to exist.
--Secrets->Stop Dmap Cycle: If secrets occur, dmap cycling then will not (but only for that screen) So if you burn a burn flag and this is set, the dmap will not cycle for the rest of the time on that screen, but when you leave that screen to go elsewhere (on the same dmap lets assume), then the cycling may resume.
--Toggle Direct Dmap Warp: If checked, it will do the opposite of whatever's set as the dmap property. So if both are unchecked or checked, that screen will not have a direct dmap cycle and therefore the appropriate arrival point needs to be set. If one is set, but not the other, then when on that screen, the dmap cycle will be a direct warp.

EDIT: I give props and credit to punkonjunk1024 who sparked the basis for these ideas.

Nimono
03-27-2006, 07:02 PM
That's a good idea, but I think there should be a checkbox that makes you warp to the same screen no matter what screen of the DMap you are on. With that, you could have a dungeon with a Triforce. When you get it, you're warped to an identical DMap, only with a timer that tics down. If it reaches its target time, you're warped to a screen where something happens, like you touch a Damage (36 Hearts) combo. Could be great for dungeons that blow up when you beat the boss or get the Triforce. It could even let you hit a switch that lets you to the boss. Only problem is that the dungeon will blow up in a certain amount of time. You must get the Triforce before time runs out. Better yet, you could even have a checkbox that says "Timer Carries Over" that makes the time left on the DMap timer go to the next DMap you warp to. Useful when you have the above with the Triforce, only the Triforce is one a different DMap. Also needed is a checkbox that will show the timer onscreen. It would count DOWN instead of up, though.