PDA

View Full Version : Problems I'm having with dungeons

amponzi
03-26-2006, 01:08 PM
This is kind of weird and I'm not really sure how to go about solving this one, but...

I'm using a LTTP type of tileset and the overworld seems fine for what I've done so far. When I go into a staircase that leads into a dungeon, the problems begin.

DMAP style is Dungeon by the way. When Link enters the dungeon he actually appears to be on top of the doorway not underneath it. Not a big problem, but then I get to a room where I have a shutter door and the shutter is open even though the enemies haven't been killed. I'm a bit lost so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I tried looking at test quests to find my error but no luck.

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated!

ShadowTiger
03-26-2006, 01:48 PM
As for your first problem, you're walking over the doors because you have the Freeform Dungeon quest rule on, (A good thing. Keep it on.) but that makes it so doors are on layer 0 rather than 3 or something by default. So, right-click each of the doorframe combos and make them overhead combos, so Link walks under them.

As for your shutters, what screenflags do you have on? Also, did you draw the shutter in? Note that the Door dialog (Press F6.) and drawing in door combos are two different things. If you want a more "customized" door, you can have the wall set as "Wall" (Again, via F6.) and then manually draw the combos in it, then affect its behavior with flags and such. However, if you want a traditional door, (Wall, Passage, Shutter, Locked Door, Bombable wall, etc.) you'd do it with the F6 menu. Note that they only appear in the "center" of walls by default. Any other door on any other part of the wall needs to be drawn in manually, but it won't affect anything done by the F6 menu if you didn't overlap the doorspace.

SpacemanDan
03-26-2006, 03:18 PM
I've had this problem before. (Or something very similar.) Check your DMap, and see if you put a number above 0 in the slot where is says "Level:". It has to have a number above 0 to work.

amponzi
03-26-2006, 05:54 PM
Great call Blaman, that was exactly it. The only thing is, I plan to have over 16 dungeons in my game, can levels exceed the standard 9?

firefly
03-26-2006, 06:06 PM
Yes, you can have up to 999.

Freedom
03-26-2006, 06:21 PM
level numbers 1-8 are reserved for the triforce

orion_ktulu1
03-27-2006, 10:30 AM
im having a problem as well.
when i walk into a dungeon, it goes into a different pallete set (like purple instead of green)
and i cant see or move link.
i checked the layer setting and its set in a way that link would be on top of the floor, instead of underneath.
ive also checked the screen data and "invisible link" isnt checked.

SpacemanDan
03-29-2006, 09:34 PM
Did you place the warp/starting point for Link?
If you press Pg Down, you'll see four boxes, two of them are what youre looking for: a blue warp, and a green warp. (Or that's what mine has...) The blue one is for when Link warps into the dungeon, the green in when Link starts in there, (Exit and continue) If you didn't set these, Link will appear in the top-left corner.

Also, did you check the palette used under "Appearence"? That's the one that matters, not the actual screen color you put there on the map.

firefly
03-29-2006, 09:43 PM
And if you can't see Link is because he is stuck in the top left corner and you have the "Freeform Dungeons" quest rule enabled.

Nimono
03-29-2006, 09:43 PM
Did you place the warp/starting point for Link?
If you press Pg Down, you'll see four boxes, two of them are what youre looking for: a blue warp, and a green warp. (Or that's what mine has...) The blue one is for when Link warps into the dungeon, the green in when Link starts in there, (Exit and continue) If you didn't set these, Link will appear in the top-left corner.

Also, did you check the palette used under "Appearence"? That's the one that matters, not the actual screen color you put there on the map.
You're wrong about the blue and green squares. Blue is for exiting a tile warp or appearing on the overworld. Green is for Continue (Overworld and Dungeons) and entrance/exit warps (Dungeon DMaps ONLY).

SpacemanDan
04-01-2006, 12:10 PM
You're wrong about the blue and green squares. Blue is for exiting a tile warp or appearing on the overworld. Green is for Continue (Overworld and Dungeons) and entrance/exit warps (Dungeon DMaps ONLY).
Thanks for the correction. I accidently left out a few details on that. Sorry.:(