PDA

View Full Version : Moving Platforms

WindStrike
03-25-2006, 11:36 AM
Any way to do this with that newest beta where you actually have moving platforms over empty space WITHOUT making yourself fall into the hole?

rocksfan13
03-25-2006, 12:45 PM
Try combo cycling.

alfinchkid
03-25-2006, 06:35 PM
for my information in the future, what's combo cyling?

firefly
03-25-2006, 07:34 PM
"NEXT:" combos, do you know how to use them? if not I can explain.

alfinchkid
03-25-2006, 09:55 PM
Seen them, don't understand them.

firefly
03-26-2006, 01:50 AM
Let's say you have a Combo "A", with a "next" combo set as combo "B", combo "A" has "Animation Frames = 2" and is completely walkable, then combo "B" has "Animation Frames = 2" too, but this one is completely unwalkable, combo "B" has the "Next" combo set as combo "A", when you start the quest in Zelda Classic and enter the place in which you have combo "A", you will note that after 2 frames the combo "A" will transform to combo "B", then after 2 frames combo "B" becomes combo "A", which makes a loop between combo "A" and combo "B", but the difference between this and normal animation is that this will switch the combo from walkable to non-walkable and from non-walkable to walkable and so on.
(If you don't understand tell me, I made this a bit too confusing)

Combo Cycling is used for many things now, such as bushes that grow back after they're cut and spikes that only damage Link on a certain amount of time, Petoe's Mega Man: DWR has a lot of cycling combos.

alfinchkid
03-26-2006, 11:46 AM
Ok, thanks. Thanks for the help.

(BTW, DWR was hard for me....)

WindStrike
03-26-2006, 12:14 PM
What I meant by moving platforms was just walking on it and you would move with it. I know conveyor belts will move you, but the combos... Any quick way around it without a bunch of combo / tile editing?

C-Dawg
03-29-2006, 06:59 PM
No, there is no way to make a moving platform without a lot of work.

Sit down and diagram what you want. You want a platform that moves across space, right? And you want link to fall if he gets off the platform, I imagine. So you're going to need a crapload of combos that cycle between walkable and stairs in such a way as to make the graphic of the tile always match the properties of the combo.

I had a digram posted in some previous thread on this point. The Sabotage Dragoon Demo is, to the best of my knowledge, the only quest out there using moving platforms in this way.

Incidentially, you can also make moving Hookshot targets this way, too.

-C

Freedom
03-29-2006, 07:22 PM
Getting Link to actually ride on them is what would be the "whole lotta work" part.