PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Visual Basic basics (knowlton and collings) Course Programming?

punkonjunk1024
03-24-2006, 08:51 AM
Pretty simple. This is the second time I've taken the course (not because of failure, but because of poor scheduling... *sigh*) so I was wondering if the course work exists, completed, anywhere online? The workbook stuff would be great, too.

I couldn't google it, so don't point me there.

It's the textbook that came before that .net shit.

Glenn the Great
03-24-2006, 03:39 PM
Do your own work. That's how you get good at programming.

I just completed a VB class myself, and it really helped me learn the intricacies of the language to find the answers to my homework through studying the examples. You are cheating yourself if you have all the answers with you.

{DSG}DarkRaven
03-24-2006, 03:49 PM
Are you asking because you already did the work, and you don't want to have to do it again, or because, as Glenn suggests, you want to cheat? I wouldn't condone cheating, and quite frankly, if you don't want to do the work, or don't have time to do the work, you shouldn't be taking the class.

You should just do it again anyway. It'd be good practice. Besides, how hard can Visual Basic Basics be? I'll go out on a limb and guess that you're not entirely unfamiliar with programming, so it shouldn't be a rough course for you.

If you're looking for the workbook (uncompleted, of course), you should try amazon, or better yet, just Google for some college book resale sites.

punkonjunk1024
03-24-2006, 05:10 PM
No, you misunderstood, glenn. I've taken the same class with the same textbook before. What I'm looking for are saved files of the completed workbook and textbook programs, to be run in VB.
This is all repeat, I was A- last time I took it. I have a great grasp on VB, and visual basic. I'm far ahead, and sick of writing stupid god-awful if-then chains.
It's seriously tedious. I'm dicking around with the most GOD AWFUL RPG EVAR in VB, and I don't mind coding for that.
But to prove whether or not a number is prime? F-that.

Thats what I'm looking for, is someones saved work. I'm no cheater, really.

Beldaran
03-24-2006, 06:00 PM
I'm far ahead, and sick of writing stupid god-awful if-then chains.
It's seriously tedious. I'm dicking around with the most GOD AWFUL RPG EVAR in VB, and I don't mind coding for that.
But to prove whether or not a number is prime? F-that.

I don't think you have much of a future in programming.

Thats what I'm looking for, is someones saved work. I'm no cheater, really.

Cheating at something you could easily do on your own is just as bad as cheating at something you're not able to do.

Also, if it's such a pain in the butt to prove a number is prime in VB, you may not be as far ahead as you think.

Masamune
03-24-2006, 06:14 PM
Why don't you just ask to have your class changed if you've already passed it?

punkonjunk1024
03-24-2006, 06:15 PM
Did I make a thread called "please criticise my morals as to whether or not I should do this" or was it something else?

I've taken the EXACT SAME CLASS ALREADY.

So uh, yeah. I'd rather not redo all of this.

{DSG}DarkRaven
03-24-2006, 11:16 PM
Masa has a point though. If you've already gone through the class with ease, why can't you just test out? It's safer than downloading someone else's work and potentially being caught for it.

Glenn the Great
03-25-2006, 12:27 AM
There is educational virtue in repetition, POJ. You'd do well to take note of that.

gdorf
03-25-2006, 01:10 AM
Color me logical, but I don't believe that you've taken it, gotten an A-, and are taking it again. I won't believe it until you provide me with some form of proof, which is highly unlikely to happen because a.) this is the internet and b.) I think you are lying through your teeth.

But even if you aren't fabricating that story I am with Beldaran. You shouldn't be working on an RPG until you can determine prime numbers in your sleep. I can't imagine a beginner VB class taking more than a couple of hours to complete a second time.

Either that or you are bad at programming and you need the practice anyway. :shrug:

punkonjunk1024
03-25-2006, 03:49 PM
I can get a copy of my transcript, but i might FORGE IT.
The classes both teach VB, out of the same book, in the exact same style. However, they have different titles. I needed a half a credit of math, but at my last school, I was enrolled in core, so the math credit I need would have to be taken as freshman math, or remedial math supplement classes.
I don't want that. She opted that I take another programming course, which is essentially the same thing.

It's at quarter now, and I can't get out, even if I could, I don't have options.
My school doesn't offer me to test out of a course.

I can determine prime numbers fine, and it's no "real" rpg. It's godawful. I'm really just playing with the code alot, to an end.
The problems with the prime numbers were the "rules" we had to follow in the code. We couldn't use the Mod operator. So basically, you had to write a god awful loop that tried dividing the number by every number. I don't remember the code, but I could find it later, if it mattered that much. It would have been extremely easy if I had use of the modulus operator. *shrug*

Anyhow. I'm not asking for career advice. I love programming to an end I chose. I don't mind repition, if it's for something I'm working on, not a program I've already finished a year ago, done exactly the ssame way.