PDA

View Full Version : Differences between Cave DMap and Dungeon DMap?

Nimono
03-23-2006, 04:15 PM
What are the differences between Cave and Dungeon DMaps other than how long the secrets last? I've read in the ZQuest help me that with Cave Dmaps you "mark map as you go". If I were to place a Map item on a Cave DMap, would the whole map on the small map appear like normal or will each room appear when I enter it? This is the main thing I need to know, because I have a cave where you get an item at the end of it (not a Triforce), and I know for a fact that Dungeon DMaps make the edge of the screen overhead, and since the tileset I'm working with doesn't have any corner pieces for Freeform Dungeon use, I'm not using the rule, so I'm relying on the Cave DMap for this cave, which has a level of 10. Does the Cave DMap also make the edges overhead?

alfinchkid
03-23-2006, 08:31 PM
No. In fact, I had problem using a raft in my level 2, so I changed it to cave type, and it worked fine. That 2-square barrier on the sides doesn't exist in caves, enemies will even walk there.

Rakki
03-24-2006, 04:46 AM
One major difference between Dungeons and Caves is that Caves can't use most door types. I believe it can only use wall, passage and bomb door types. Also, you don't always need specific combos to be able to use freeform dungeons. I usually enable this rule since it gets rid of the barrier around the rooms on dungeon Dmaps (which is why you had a problem with the raft, alfinchkid). The only thing you have to remember to do if you do enable this rule is to change doorway combos to use the combo type "overhead."