PDA

View Full Version : Beta 11 Suggestions

Rakki
03-23-2006, 01:17 AM
I think having a main thread for suggestions for the next beta was a good idea last time, so I took the initiative to make a thread for everyone's suggestions for the next new beta. :p Hope you don't get mad at me for this, DN or Jman, but I figured it'd be easier for you guys to look at the posts in ONE thread rather than a whole bunch of different threads all over the place. Anyway, onto my suggestion.

Would it be possible to add a box below the Flag Placement icon? I'm suggesting such to make it quicker to switch between flags. The way it would work is that you would click in the box below the Flag Placement icon, and you'd enter a number, then when you clicked the icon, the flag of that number would be set as the flag you're currently placing. Obviously, if you entered a number higher than was available, it would just choose the highest flag number in the list.

Also, I'm re-suggesting those suggestions I made in the Beta 9 Suggestions thread about Flags showing up on the combo menu. Being able to see inherent and normal flags at the same time was a nice addition to Beta 10, but being able to see what every combo's inherent flag is without having to edit or place it would be nice as well. ;)

idontknow
03-23-2006, 04:33 AM
Excellent ideas!

My ideas:
--Global Timed Warps: This could be done multiple ways, by having a dmap timer in the dmap editor, probably the least feasible, most difficult to implement, or the least effective. OR...

There could be a screen flag that makes timed warp tics apply to Room Carry Over data. This means that if you have a Room # set for Room Carry Over, then when you are on that screen & move to the room designated by the room carry over data, any tics counted down from the 'counter' when on the first room will apply to the second so you only have to be in the second room for the remainder of the designated time before you warp, if the timed warp is set for that room.

Rakki
03-23-2006, 05:10 AM
There ya go. RSC data for timers. Seconded. :p Also, secrets should be separate from the north door data in RSC data.

By the way, Jman, why is there no "No Carry Over" options for the right, left and bottom doors? And what's the difference between "No Reset" and "No Carry Over" anyway? I figured if No Reset is left unchecked that it won't carry it over, so what would No Carry Over be for?

eXodus
03-23-2006, 05:30 AM
The reason No Carry Over only uses the North Door is because it only seems to carry the "Open Shutters" state, which as you said should be separate from secrets. As for "No Reset", those allow you to choose what is and isn't affected by a "Reset Room" combo - hence the term "No Reset". That means you can have enemies trigger both the North and South Shutters, hit a Reset Room tile and only close the North door by having the South door's No Reset flag checked.

Rakki
03-23-2006, 06:03 AM
Ohhh... I thought No Reset meant not to reset the status of it when changing rooms. :p So then, anything that's NOT checked with a "No Carry Over" is carried over?

Freedom
03-23-2006, 06:10 AM
When pressing w to check walkable combos, water and solid combos should display in different colors to prevent "swimming" through what was intended to be solids.

Dlbrooks33
03-23-2006, 08:12 AM
what about the cane of somaria? just trying to go along with the future plans...

Rakki
03-23-2006, 12:49 PM
what about the cane of somaria? just trying to go along with the future plans...
Already on the to-do list.

I like that idea about water displaying in different colors, Freedom. It would be quite useful. :p

ShadowTiger
03-23-2006, 12:51 PM
Would it be possible to add a box below the Flag Placement icon? I'm suggesting such to make it quicker to switch between flags. The way it would work is that you would click in the box below the Flag Placement icon, and you'd enter a number, then when you clicked the icon, the flag of that number would be set as the flag you're currently placing. Obviously, if you entered a number higher than was available, it would just choose the highest flag number in the list.Not quite a suggestion, but a reassurance. In ZQuest, when placing flags, press the Keypad / and * buttons. They'll switch flags right on your cursor. :)

idontknow
03-23-2006, 02:45 PM
Nevermind...i realized what that is now...this post can be deleted

djdarkx
03-23-2006, 05:40 PM
I would like to suggest something. I was working with the SFX.dat file and thought it would be a good idea to have more individualized sounds (items, rupees, hearts, fairies, rupee collection, text typing and text ending, key collection, etc.) and randomized yells for Link (ie. Slashing sword w/ randomized yelling *Minish Cap, OoT, Majora's Mask, etc.*) It's just an idea.

Also, what about the Pegasus Boots? Don't know if that was mentioned on the To-Do list already. Just my 2 cents.

djDarkX

Nimono
03-23-2006, 05:46 PM
Roc's Feather. It's a MUST on my list. That, and combos that you can jump off of, combos that you can drown in and lose some health in, and combos that you need a second pair of flippers to swim in (including Swim Conveyors!).

rocksfan13
03-23-2006, 05:56 PM
combos that you can drown in and lose some health in, and combos that you need a second pair of flippers to swim in (including Swim Conveyors!).

I like these. Then you could have an authentic waterfall.

Nimono
03-23-2006, 06:08 PM
I like these. Then you could have an authentic waterfall.
Yeah. I made a waterfall that you can swim up in one of my quests. I have it planned like this:
You swim up the waterfall.
Go in the cave at the top.
Take a warp path.
Go to another waterfall.

*b*
03-23-2006, 08:56 PM
first: make flags to accompany the block projectile combos. there's certainly going to be a lot of combos used if people are going to make puzzles using this

second: create directional barriers for the block projectile combos/flags. like, you can throw a boomerang off the top of a cliff facing north, however you couldn't throw it at the cliff from the ground below.

third: have an option to disable tile modification notices when moving/copying tiles in the editor

fourth: maybe begin work on making enemies larger, using 2x2 or 3x3 tile blocks, instead of having Link tower over a Moblin

fifth: fix the Z3 Link positioning to fit in a 2x2 tile block, with no pixels cut off

sixth: make new weapon animations to fit the Z3 style Link (where the sword, hammer, wand, ect... appears)

firefly
03-23-2006, 09:02 PM
Inherent under combos (thanks to idontknow for this idea):

They take less priority than Under Combos and Secret Combos, they are self-explainatory.

Tygore
03-23-2006, 09:30 PM
combos that you can drown in and lose some health in

I think it should be a quest rule, actually. "Open Water" or something like that. Makes all water combos act like all the other games with the flippers: if you go in water, you drown and reappear next to it at a small loss of health. Once you get the flippers, you can swim. Maybe even a Flippers2/Deep Water combo while we're at it (see Oracle of Ages & the Mermaid Suit).

Nimono
03-24-2006, 01:51 PM
I think it should be a quest rule, actually. "Open Water" or something like that. Makes all water combos act like all the other games with the flippers: if you go in water, you drown and reappear next to it at a small loss of health. Once you get the flippers, you can swim. Maybe even a Flippers2/Deep Water combo while we're at it (see Oracle of Ages & the Mermaid Suit).
I suggested that at the main ZC forums, you know. Of course, that "Open Water" rule should be split into TWO rules: Drown in Water w/out Flippers and Drown (Damage 1/2). Maybe it could be a combo or screen flag, since there shouldn't be two seperate flags for the same thing. Just remember: If you drown in ALttP, you don't lose health. That's only in Oracles an Link's Awakening (I'm not sure about LA).

Mr. Z
03-24-2006, 03:00 PM
1- Screen specific Palettes

2- Press A to warp combo (Which should work after a string ends, and not when it's being spoken, fyi :o )

3- The ability to push blocks on solid combos with the Block Hole flag on them, even if the Solid Combos rule is on.

That's my big 3's wish list.

Edit: Oh, and something that makes Step > Next combos change when you step on them partly, and not the whole tile only.
Making the Linked Combos rule not work on those would be even better. (So you can make "light all tiles" puzzles)

Edit 2: Just remembered another one.
Trading Items.
Basically, these are about 10 items you can't use, but they do show up in the subscreen however.
Picking one up replaces the one you had in your inventory before, no matter which it was.
With a bit of tricks you can make a trading sequence that way.

*b*
03-24-2006, 03:14 PM
seventh: an option to draw the top half of Link's extended sprite above layer three and four, and under five and six

eighth: fix Link's swimming animation

[edit] UPDATE!! let's not forget my favorite suggestion (http://armageddongames.net/showthread.php?t=90626)

Tygore
03-24-2006, 05:07 PM
2- Press A to warp combo (Which should work after a string ends, and not when it's being spoken, fyi :o )

How about this for a screen flag/quest rule: string delays timed warps. That way, you don't have to worry about the player accidentally rushing through the string and not getting the last bit due to a warp.

Shoelace
03-24-2006, 05:45 PM
I still think there should be slash -> next combo.

This one a little of a long shot but it would work for OoT remakes and Metroid quests big time. Screen flags that take away and give items to you without having to get them. For example:

You go to this cutsence were someone robs your ocarina. The Screen Flag will permently take away the Ocarina, until you get to the screen where it gives it to you back.

I don't know, I guess I am not good with suggestions.

Rakki
03-25-2006, 07:08 AM
Edit: Oh, and something that makes Step > Next combos change when you step on them partly, and not the whole tile only.
Making the Linked Combos rule not work on those would be even better. (So you can make "light all tiles" puzzles)
I believe Sensitive Step -> Next combos are on the way. At least, I'm pretty sure Jman mentioned them. Oh, and those "light all tiles" puzzles are possible right now, actually. I'm pretty sure you can use a "Singular" flag on them to make them trigger separately.

I still think there should be slash -> next combo.

This one a little of a long shot but it would work for OoT remakes and Metroid quests big time. Screen flags that take away and give items to you without having to get them. For example:

You go to this cutsence were someone robs your ocarina. The Screen Flag will permently take away the Ocarina, until you get to the screen where it gives it to you back.

I don't know, I guess I am not good with suggestions.
The heck you aren't good with suggestions. :p I think a Slash -> Next combo would be good as well, because you could make bushes and grass (with corners, even) on the same screen as triggers that set off secret combos. Besides this obvious use, I'm sure some people would come up with puzzles using them. And I believe a way to take items away from the player is on the to-do list, but whether or not it is already, we really need this option eventually. :p I've always wanted to make a quest where you START with the sword, lose it near the beginning, then have to go find it again. Or, somewhere later on in the game where you lose your equipment and have to re-collect it in the area you're in.

Dlbrooks33
03-25-2006, 10:55 AM
lets try to add link showing the actual pushing animation for blocks so it doesn' look like he is just walking against it...

Mr. Z
03-25-2006, 02:48 PM
A "No Link" screnflag.
With this there simply is no Link, like in savescreens. So you don't have to lock him in a corner during cutscenes. And it leaves the "Invisible Link" rule out of cutscenes too.

Shoelace
03-25-2006, 05:36 PM
It would be nice if you can somehow edit the string under Data -> Message String.

The reason is because I have 1500 strings in my game and if I find a mistake I have to look for the string through all of the other ways, which is annoying. So it would be cool, you can just go to the screen where the string is placed and then edit it from there, without having to look through all of the strings.

Questwizard88
03-25-2006, 06:17 PM
Some sort of "Search" function might be nice to have too, in case its not used yet, but you can't find it.

idontknow
03-26-2006, 06:50 PM
Very minor but have "Level-Specific Key" changed to "Key (Level-Specific)" so its grouped with the other keys.

Tygore
03-26-2006, 07:43 PM
Very minor but have "Level-Specific Key" changed to "Key (Level-Specific)" so its grouped with the other keys.

Seconded.

Shoelace
03-26-2006, 11:27 PM
This is a suggestion I have always asked: A rule that makes it the player doesn't write over the Custom Big Map when you go on it. It sucks because I spend a lot of time making the big map for the players and then it gets writen over. *sigh

Petoe
03-26-2006, 11:58 PM
This is a suggestion I have always asked: A rule that makes it the player doesn't write over the Custom Big Map when you go on it. It sucks because I spend a lot of time making the big map for the players and then it gets writen over. *sigh

WTF... I was just about to post the same thing! :p

But yeah, it sucks big time when you work hard on a big custom map and then it gets written over by those goddamn stupid boxes... I thought that if I'd change the Big Map Foreground to 00 (transparent) the boxes would be invisible but no... *sighs*

Shoelace
03-27-2006, 01:54 AM
Same with me. I tried the transparent colors and it didn't work. Hopefully they will make it so it does work.

Tygore
03-29-2006, 03:05 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the map only create those boxes where you've marked rooms on the DMap? So couldn't you just not mark the room boxes?

Shoelace
03-29-2006, 03:10 PM
That is only in Dugeon Dmaps, I think. <-- I can't remember right now. But I use cave Dmaps and Freeform. So it rewrites it, reguardless.

Questwizard88
03-30-2006, 09:41 AM
Here's another one I thought of while posting a minute ago. Could there possibly be support for grabbing tiles/palettes from PNG images? They're used so often now, and I'd like to be able to import directly from them, without having to run each one through irfanview to convert it first.

80s Knight
03-30-2006, 01:12 PM
lets try to add link showing the actual pushing animation for blocks so it doesn' look like he is just walking against it...

I second both of these.

Also, I'd like to suggest, in the enemy list...

Stalfos (L1)
Stalfos (L3)
Stalfos 2

be changed to...

Stalfos (L1)
Stalfos (L2)
Stalfos (L3)

Thank you! :)

beefster09
03-31-2006, 12:28 AM
I have lots of ideas:
*some of these might involve a quest rule*

*diagonal walk flags
-burning/frozen link sprites
*ice combos (like where you slide a little)
-climbing sprites and combos
*missing floor combos
*falling link sprites
*custom enemy tiles locations
*an easier way to edit a selection of tiles

-more buttons
*a bigger screen and/or resolution
*Win32 interface (like with its own window, and with tabs; perhaps this is for the faster

computers)
*a way to make an executable
*menus
*custom title screens
-variables + booleans
-event systems (with several helpful commands like:
-release enemy
-start scene
-move combo
-change combo
-display string
-fork conditions (if-then/condition statements like in RPG maker)
this would make it much easier to make cutscenes)
*Some way to meter, keep track of, and make misc items (for like a skultulla system)

Quest Rules to consider:
*Z3-style bomb/arrow packs (in 5s, 10s, 30s, 50s)
-large magic meter
*OoT-style Wallets (99, 200, 500)
*WW-style Wallets (200, 1000, 5000)
*WW-style Bomb Bags/Quiver (30, 60, 99)

PS: the starred* ones are the ones I would really like.

Rakki
03-31-2006, 12:00 PM
There are some pretty optimistic suggestions in there, beefster. :p And quite a few that we've been waiting a looooong time for. Anyway, I just thought of a combo that could be pretty useful for a lot of us. A sound-effect combo. Basically, you'd choose a sound effect to be played whenever that combo appeared on the screen (it'd probably be part of Special Data on the screen flags window), and when you used things like secret combo shutters, you'd just make one of them change to the sound effect combo when the shutter is opened and have a next combo of the doorway, so the change is almost instant. We could also make custom bosses roar at specific times using this combo, by setting the boss roar combo as the combo sound effect for the screen. I'm sure there's other uses in there for this, but that's just two I could think of off the top of my head.

firefly
03-31-2006, 06:14 PM
Yeah, also that idea can be used to make tracker sounds...
...But there's a problem: Can you play both .wav and .mp3 at the same time?

ShadowTiger
03-31-2006, 06:53 PM
Okay. New but simple suggestion: Tools-->Preview Mode. You can Also still hit "x" to activate it, but this way people actually KNOW ABOUT IT. :p lol

Freedom
03-31-2006, 07:35 PM
Yeah, also that idea can be used to make tracker sounds...
...But there's a problem: Can you play both .wav and .mp3 at the same time?

The sfx.dat is wav sounds and they work while an mp3 is also playing, if that's what you are asking.

firefly
03-31-2006, 07:53 PM
A way to export Combo Alliases, it would have a "*.zca" extension or something.

The sfx.dat is wav sounds and they work while an mp3 is also playing, if that's what you are asking.
Yep, thanks. :)

Dlbrooks33
03-31-2006, 08:09 PM
oo, thats a thought, we need more sfx pieces, one for shallow water, one for swimming, and one for the pushing blocks sound.

xXVolvagiaXx
04-01-2006, 05:26 PM
What about a huge rainbow pallette for 256 mode instead of combined palettes from the tileset? That would loosen the lesser restrictions even more, and you could save colors you wanna use for later. And with a Hue, Value, and Color bar.

xXVolvagiaXx
04-01-2006, 05:32 PM
How about aslo, an Enemy Sprite Tile bar, in the Quest menu in SPrites, that lets you choose the tiles for an enemy? Like the new Link tile thing in the new betas.

And also, a Rule called "Link 2x2 Screens" Which lets the game follow Link for 2x2 screens, then scrolls when it hits the end. Like in Alttp. And you can set directional screen data to where you don't want it to scroll, ex: Unfinished screen.:)

firefly
04-01-2006, 05:40 PM
What about a huge rainbow pallette for 256 mode instead of combined palettes from the tileset? That would loosen the lesser restrictions even more, and you could save colors you wanna use for later. And with a Hue, Value, and Color bar.
I second that.
However, the problem is that the colors must (I'm not sure) match the pallete, I don't know if this is possible.

Questwizard88
04-01-2006, 05:58 PM

So this would basically turn the palette into something similar to the palette that Paint gives to 256-color images? If that's the case, I'm against this one. It could use a bit better explanation.

Freedom
04-01-2006, 07:19 PM
With cheats turned on;
When you turn on no walls with F11 it also allows you to use F11 to turn it back off, but it doesn't turn clock back off, it would be nice if it did that too.

Rakki
04-01-2006, 08:32 PM
With cheats turned on;
When you turn on no walls with F11 it also allows you to use F11 to turn it back off, but it doesn't turn clock back off, it would be nice if it did that too.
Cheats have ALWAYS worked that way, but I second that. It's annoying having to turn the clock off again myself. In fact, why does walking through walls clock you anyway? Who says you're always walking through walls AND enemies? >_>;

ShadowTiger
04-01-2006, 09:02 PM
Yeah, it's been rather handy so far, actually. "F11" is a testing feature. If you actually gave it out to your questplayers and testers, what kind of quest designer would you be? ._o' Thus, ... definitely a testing tool. Testing difficulty and travelling from place to place quickly or bypassing errors are two different aspects of testing a beta quest.

Rakki
04-01-2006, 09:07 PM
Yeah, it's been rather handy so far, actually. "F11" is a testing feature. If you actually gave it out to your questplayers and testers, what kind of quest designer would you be? ._o' Thus, ... definitely a testing tool. Testing difficulty and travelling from place to place quickly or bypassing errors are two different aspects of testing a beta quest.
Eh? Where'd that post come from? >_>; I was saying it'd be helpful if either the clock turned back off when you turned the no walls cheat off, or if the clock never turned on in the first place when you turn on the no walls cheat, since I'm usually not going through enemies when I need to go through walls.

firefly
04-03-2006, 09:38 PM
A rule to prevent Link walking down 2 squares when entering a dungeon without having to place the squares on the bottom.

Mr. Z
04-04-2006, 10:36 AM
-Step Off > Next.

k?

You step on it, then after you got off, it'll go to the next combo in the list.
Useful for... Block puzzles like in OoT. Or floor tile puzzles.

xXVolvagiaXx
04-06-2006, 06:27 PM
how about a "Save Time Warp Sec" Screen Flag. Whe you leave a screen with a warp timer, the time left on the screen stays and continues when you return. But it'll restart when it ends and you go back to the screen. This can make the day/night effect heavily easier to do. OR, a "Share Time Warp with screen/s XX" Flag.

xXVolvagiaXx
04-06-2006, 06:36 PM
Also, a Link sprite speed changer thing would be helpful. The Lttp animation is a bit too fast...

firefly
04-07-2006, 12:10 AM
Secret flags that only activate with Room state carry overs.

Rakki
04-07-2006, 06:10 PM
Secret flags that only activate with Room state carry overs.
Can't you already do this by simply having secret flags in a room with no secret triggers, and then using a RSC with another room which contains the trigger to set secrets off in both rooms?

Edit: Oh, and I just remembered another suggestion that should be added here. How about a quest rule to disable Whistle Warps? Currently, the only way to not have them in quests (as far as I know at least) is to not use Overworld dmap types. Pikaguy's the one who suggested this by the way, I'm just a messenger. ;)

Nimono
04-07-2006, 07:26 PM
Edit: Oh, and I just remembered another suggestion that should be added here. How about a quest rule to disable Whistle Warps? Currently, the only way to not have them in quests (as far as I know at least) is to not use Overworld dmap types. Pikaguy's the one who suggested this by the way, I'm just a messenger. ;)
A messenger? No way! If I wanted it here, I would've done it myself, by the way.

xXVolvagiaXx
04-08-2006, 08:41 PM
What about if "Bait" was changed into seperate misc. items, and you could set how many there could be of that item, and when you set up a guy room, the bait selection could have like, "XXX of This Item Required to Pass". that'd be cool.

WindStrike
04-09-2006, 12:16 PM
I think these might've been posted before (as in months), but they seem pretty easy to add.

Quest Rules:
- % chance to drop rupees - Makes it so when an enemy is killed or grass/bush/flowers are cut, this is the % chance a rupee will be dropped.
- % chance to drop hearts - " "
- % chance to drop bombs - " "
- % chance to drop arrow ammuntion - " "
- % chance to drop small magic jar - " "
- % chance to drop large magic jar - " "

Item Properties:
- Max # of Arrows on screen set to _. - This would be extremely nice for things for like Metroid Quests.
- Max # of Sword Beams on screen set to _. - " "

Screen Data:
- Items cannot be dropped by enemies. - That would be great for an arena or something like that.

NOTE: " " stands for anything within it follows the text in the above line.

One more thing: More compatibility in swapping between questmaker and questplayer. Like, in the Etc. menu, there could be Play Zelda Classic. It would open Zelda Classic from there. Even then, there would have to be something to tone down the lag for having 2 programs run at once.

Nimono
04-09-2006, 12:55 PM
I think these might've been posted before (as in months), but they seem pretty easy to add.

Quest Rules:
- % chance to drop rupees - Makes it so when an enemy is killed or grass/bush/flowers are cut, this is the % chance a rupee will be dropped.
- % chance to drop hearts - " "
- % chance to drop bombs - " "
- % chance to drop arrow ammuntion - " "
- % chance to drop small magic jar - " "
- % chance to drop large magic jar - " "

Item Properties:
- Max # of Arrows on screen set to _. - This would be extremely nice for things for like Metroid Quests.
- Max # of Sword Beams on screen set to _. - " "

Screen Data:
- Items cannot be dropped by enemies. - That would be great for an arena or something like that.

NOTE: " " stands for anything within it follows the text in the above line.

One more thing: More compatibility in swapping between questmaker and questplayer. Like, in the Etc. menu, there could be Play Zelda Classic. It would open Zelda Classic from there. Even then, there would have to be something to tone down the lag for having 2 programs run at once.
I like that, but I don't understand the Item Properties ideas. You only said what they were useful for. What do you put in the blanks at what's it for?

ShadowTiger
04-09-2006, 05:48 PM
Imagine the number of hookshot chains on the screen at once. Something similar to that. Like, you could have rapid fire sword beams, arrows, wand shots, red candle shots, etc if you had more than one per screen like that. So you'd put in anything greater than 1 in that box, and you can have that number of shots onscreen at the same time, rather than only one.

xXVolvagiaXx
04-09-2006, 08:44 PM
A new tile set-up side panel could be cool, and this could be how it works: There could be Base Tiles, and Solid Tiles. Instead of having to select the tiles from the blanks spaces, the tiles automatically appear from the Graphics/Tiles Pages, and you can bunch up certain tiles to make one big item, EX: Combine House Tiles to make a Complete House Tile. Then you could set a tile as base tile, that way, you could set the Solid Tile over it without the base tiles getting overwritten. Then, another cool thing would be a "256 Color Transparent Layers" Rule, so that the layers that are transparent take the darker/lighter shade of the color they're over from a 256 pallete, that way, colors don't get all discolored.:D

I'm done now...:tongue:

WindStrike
04-09-2006, 09:26 PM
Can't ya just use combo aliasing? Well, I might not have read correctly, but if it's going off of what combo aliasing is, I guess it's just adding. I dunno.

Rakki
04-10-2006, 06:06 PM
Okay, here's something I desparately want. First off, I'd like to be able to trigger Room State Carryovers through temporary triggers, as in, through push blocks, block triggers, Temp/Perm Triggers (the combo that you step on), etc. RSCs should also be able to be triggered from tiered secrets, as they are unable to be triggered that way currently. Try to set up an RSC using two switches in two rooms that can only be activated AFTER a carryover. You'll see it only works once. =/

Another suggestion: Allow Treasure Chest combos to use the Armos->Item flag inherently. Currently, it has to be placed on the screen layer, apparently.

WindStrike
04-17-2006, 06:52 AM
Here's something I really wanna see: Water Combo works on layer(s) 1 and/or 2. Pretty much, I'd just want transparent water that you can actually swim in, not just for sightseeing.

rocksfan13
04-17-2006, 09:34 AM
You can do this. Put the water on the working layer and the bottom of the water on the 1 and 2 layers as transparent.

It works. I'm using this technique in my newest creation. It looks really good too! :)

beefster09
04-19-2006, 07:40 PM
we should have a menu for misc items:
so when you go to quest->Misc. Data, there will be a misc items menu where you can pick the misc item, (0-255) assign sprites, and set options
- trigger room state carryover
- display in subscreen [ ] Perm
- Always dropped by [>][ENEMY] [ ] Once only
- Keep track of this item

*Note* If "keep track of this item" isn't checked, then the item is displayed until another item without the rule checked is collected. (this would be great for sidequests)

Also on the subscreen, there should be multiple screens, and you can flip through them with ''L'' and "R"
- One for items/ equipment
- One for progress/ maps
- One for (possibly) misc items

you should also be able to have a full sword slash (like in Z3) where it goes halfway around link.

Nimono
04-19-2006, 08:11 PM
we should have a menu for misc items:
so when you go to quest->Misc. Data, there will be a misc items menu where you can pick the misc item, (0-255) assign sprites, and set options
- trigger room state carryover
- display in subscreen [ ] Perm
- Always dropped by [>][ENEMY] [ ] Once only
- Keep track of this item

*Note* If "keep track of this item" isn't checked, then the item is displayed until another item without the rule checked is collected. (this would be great for sidequests)
Hey, this would be great for making quests with multiple characters! If more Misc. Items were made, you could have a quest where you can start out as whichever character you choose (the Extended Link Tile Mod. rule in 2.11 helps, too, y'know), and the story/dungeons could change depending on which character you choose!

*b*
04-20-2006, 12:10 AM
I'd like to see the combo list re-ordered by what the combos do. like, warps all grouped into one, then water-related combos, then strike-ables (hammer, slash, bush, ect), then damage, and on and on and on. get what I mean?

[edit] also, an indicator over warp combos that displays what warp it is (A, B, C, D or R). like, a box with the letter in the upper-right corner

Rakki
04-20-2006, 01:06 AM
I'd like to see the combo list re-ordered by what the combos do. like, warps all grouped into one, then water-related combos, then strike-ables (hammer, slash, bush, ect), then damage, and on and on and on. get what I mean?
If this is to be added, then it should be an option, because I think more people find it easier to find combo types alphabetically. I certainly do.

[edit] also, an indicator over warp combos that displays what warp it is (A, B, C, D or R). like, a box with the letter in the upper-right corner
Agreed. :D

ShadowTiger
04-20-2006, 09:00 PM
If this is to be added, then it should be an option, because I think more people find it easier to find combo types alphabetically. I certainly do.G'haa! I sure don't. o.o I'm one of those people who tends to favor hotkeys above all else, ... or to find things based on past experience and ease. For example, it used to be that when I wanted something to be a pit warp, (Not a Direct Warp. That's in the future. It used to be called pit warp.) so I'd click in the combo area, press "p" then hit enter, and wouldn't have to think about anything. Now, I need to do a lot more scrolling. I also kinda wish both pulldowns (Combo Type and Inherent Flags) would be placed closer to the top of the combo list, so we could have a longer view of all the combos. Just a thought.

Rakki
04-22-2006, 03:17 PM
Lol, I remember it used to be called Pit Warp, ST. I may have just joined the forums about a year ago, but I've been with ZC a lot longer than that. ;) And in reguards to pressing a letter then enter, without thinking about it, maybe pressing it multiple times to scroll through the different types of things would help? Then you could memorize something like, "I have to press (something) (blank) number of times to get to (whatever)." That's the only way I can see speeding it up with the number of combos, flags, items, enemies, etc. that we have now. ^_^;

And I also have another suggestion to add here, while I'm at it. Could we finally have the regular old Hookshot implemented? The current Hookshot, which stretches across the entire screen, could be renamed the Longshot, so that older quests would still be compatible (incase any of those older quests requre the hookshot to stretch across the whole screen to get you from point A to point B), and then the limited-reach Hookshot could be added. This would totally make my day, since I'm planning on having both regular Hookshot and Longshot-only lengths of pits that you have to pull yourself across in one of my future quests.

Nimono
04-22-2006, 03:45 PM
I like the combo menu of before 2.11. If I want a Trigger combo, all I have to do is press "T" and scroll down, or press "W" and look up. In 2.11, you have to press a key, AND click on the combo you wanted. Before, if you wanted "Water", all you had to do was click in the combo area and press "W".

Kingboo30
04-23-2006, 03:17 PM
How about faster ripping? Yes, you can do the SHIFT method when ripping from an image but can we also try to have it the same when bringing tiles to the combo selection? Somehow....

*b*
04-23-2006, 05:15 PM
mass-copying screens. like when you grab multiple tiles from an image, you hold Shift, then click and drag over how many screens you want to copy. hit C, then hit V again to paste them according to where the first screen in the block is pasted to

Freedom
04-23-2006, 05:58 PM
I second this.

ShadowTiger
04-23-2006, 06:29 PM
Third, only with the option to not only have a Shift+Click yield a rectangular selection scheme, but a Ctrl+Click to toggle individual screens' being part of the selection scheme or not. Would be so useful. ^_^

Hell, same thing with ripping.

rocksfan13
04-24-2006, 02:57 PM
Would make copying whole overworlds so much easier!

God, I would love to see this.

Freedom
04-24-2006, 03:18 PM
It would need to be like BH4 said though, so you could copy only selected screens, like one half of the map to the other half, like dungeons.

rocksfan13
04-24-2006, 03:24 PM
How about a map where it creates a highlighted color over the area that you want to copy. Sort of like when you select multipple items in windows by holding ctrl and clicking the file.
You could do the same for the map. May be a little tough to implement though.

Mr. Z
05-03-2006, 02:28 PM
An "Auto Secret" combo, like Auto warp, but it activates the secret on the screen when this appears.
It may seem useless, but there are more uses for this than you could think of.

Freedom
05-03-2006, 03:39 PM
Another thing that would be nice is to be able to turn a layer off and on through secrets, since we have a limited supply of misc secret combos.

Still would like to see a few screen specific secret sounds added to the sfx.dat to be activated both when entering and when triggering secrets.
(like ocean sound, or to be triggered for use with doors etc)

Rakki
05-03-2006, 06:52 PM
Still would like to see a few screen specific secret sounds added to the sfx.dat to be activated both when entering and when triggering secrets.
(like ocean sound, or to be triggered for use with doors etc)
I'd say the screen specific sounds should be something you can choose from the sfx.dat file, rather than a few new slots in the sfx file. That way, we could use as many different sounds as we wanted, rather than just a few that are already loaded into slot 1, 2, 3 and 4 or something like that.

Edit: Here's another idea. How about a "Block Magic" combo, so that it's possible to set "Burn 3" flags in the middle of a room? :sweat: I know there's the "Magic Sponge" combo right now, but all it does is ABSORBS the magic, rather than stopping it and causing the fire (from the magic book) to ignite. And the "Block All" combo is simply a combination of the other "Block" combos with the "Magic Sponge" combo, so, it doesn't work either.

Kingboo30
05-09-2006, 05:24 PM
How about having access to edit a certain enemies weapons sprite? I know there's the sprites but how about for example, "Lynel red weapon." "Lynel blue weapon."?

There's also a possiblity for upgraded verisons of the wand, a more powerful verison that is. When might one see the light of a "heavy hammer." A hammer with the power of the master sword.

Of course these were probably mentioned earlier but very possible since Jman has experience with gamemaking and hacking.

Xorias
05-19-2006, 06:55 PM
My second post on all of AGN. Go me. Let's just go right to the point, though. -Espilan

1) Non-permanent items using Link Tile Mods
I did a bit of checking (in 2.11 b10b) and found that items with no permanent effect (such as Rupees, Misc #, Selection, etc) do not apply Link Tile Modifiers, even if a value is given and they are enabled using the Quest Rule. If you allowed these items to use mods, then it would be possible to create quests where you change in appearance (or even change to a different character altogether) while maintaining the exact same items (and not suddenly getting something new to use without any explanation).

2) Stacking same-item Link Tile Mods
Basically, this one is where the game ignores whether Link already has or not. Let's say Link picks up [example item 1] to change his appearance, then he picks up [example item 2] which returns it to normal. Later, he picks up [i]another [example item 1], which once again changes his appearance. Another use might be for Link's appearance gradually changing as he keeps finding [example item 3].

I suggest it be a Quest Rule or on a per-item basis, as if it were automatic all the time, even the slightest slip-up (such as accidentally picking up a second Magic Shield before a Like-Like ate the first one) can screw Link's appearance up.

3) Ability to select tracker file 'start' position.
In some cases, tracker files may contain multiple 'songs' which are split into groups of patterns that have their own individual loops. If questmakers came across such tracker files, this would reduce the number of files needed to cover all of the music they needed to use.

ShadowTiger
05-25-2006, 10:24 PM
I don't know if anyone has gotten this yet, but ... Um, this isn't so much a "suggestion" as a Big Reminder.

With the new Multiwarps in place, preview mode will need to accomodate all four tile warps, as well as all four side warps.

Oh, and while we're on the subject of preview mode, I think it'd be nice if we had a "real time autowarp" sort of feature, which will send us on a guided tour of the real-time effects of a sequence of events driven by timed tic warps.

Suppose you had six or so screens, one referring to the next, (A --> B, B --> C, ...etc... E --> F.) and each has a timed tic warp. You could press Shift+T on screen A and it'd count down, and when the timer empties, it'd warp to the next screen, and begin the countdown there too, and would automatically warp to the next screen.

I think a feature would follow the autowarp combo in a similar fashion. Probably should. I think the timed tic warp and autowarp combo test methods should be seperate though. Could get very complex, considering secrets and whatnot.

Nicholas Steel
06-10-2006, 08:05 PM
z3 scrolling doesnt seem possible due to no one knows how to compensate for looking at blank screens.... so i suggest 2 way continuos scrolling.... either left and right or up and down.... and you can change it with a screen seting which affects the value..... meaning walking from x to y is all l - r scrolling and once you reach y it changes to u - d scrolling thus if you walk back you would encounter standard segmented scrolling. (x is set to l - r scrolling... while y is set to u - d scrolling)

you can change the value whenever you want during a quest... what do ya think? (i am aware that both 4-way scrolling and 8-way scrolling wont work due to seeing invalid screens which is why i suggested a method of 2 way scrolling)

borders are placed by the author to prevent the screen from scrolling off onto blank areas.

iwn12
06-17-2006, 03:38 PM
I've got a few suggestions:

1) Whole new layering system
The layers dialog is replaced with a menu with a few items:

Switch to layer>(1-6)
---------------------
Make layer tanslucent>(1-6)

example you make a dungeon room switch to layer 1 to add the trim along the walls switch to layer 3 to add the tops of statues and other things

If you actually understand what I mean, This would make layering extremly more easier and you wouldn't need 3-4 map pages for one dungeon (like the one Im making now, takes forever to load because of the amount of maps I use)

2)The ability to select tiles, and import them directly as combos
then you just edit their properties as you use them. useful for custom graphics within a single quest and makes it easier then to single load one at a time.

3)Screen flag> title screen
sets no link automaticly and displays press a button or something and if set continus to story screen after a set amount of time.

4)set walk speed
could be for the whole screen or how fast you walk over a certain flag

5)edit sfx
for single quests: overides sounds to use if you need them for this quest

6)zelda 3 subscreen editor
I'm sure this is already being made or has been sggested but:
a dialog to change the subscreen icons and frames

allright thats all for now.

Shoelace
06-17-2006, 04:40 PM
AHHH! I know I mentioned it before, but there really needs to be a way to make it so it doesn't overwrite the BG Map. I have a neat little system on my new game, however, the effect is basically ruined when you go into the room and then the path erases it. This needs to be added to Beta 11, because I am going insane...

ShadowTiger
06-18-2006, 12:07 PM
AHHH! I know I mentioned it before, but there really needs to be a way to make it so it doesn't overwrite the BG Map. I have a neat little system on my new game, however, the effect is basically ruined when you go into the room and then the path erases it. This needs to be added to Beta 11, because I am going insane...Oh, this is SO Seconded. Shoelace does such amazing things with his maps. I fully intend to make good use of Custom Maps for NeoFirst as well. Just an option which allows you to disable the overwrite of the map would be lovely to see.

Hell, a Custom Link Position 3x3 pixel tile would be nice as well. :p

System Error
06-18-2006, 07:24 PM
Another thing - fix not being able to play playlist ready files. Those simply don't load and won't play. It's been that way for as long as I can remember, and there are a lot of files that could possibly be able to be played this way. Especially with the new addition of being able to play MP3s. An example is here (http://www.freewebs.com/mrasdf/scdqq.mid).

Nicholas Steel
06-20-2006, 04:31 AM
i think thats the first i have heard of someone requsting support for m3u and wmp files.

redmage777
06-21-2006, 04:31 AM
Combos for Projectiles besides the Fire Ball. The new Projectiles be shot only once when the combo "Appears." This includes whenever Link enter the screen, When secret is Triggered or As part of a combo cycling squence.

Combos the Shoot repeatedly would have to Cyclye back on themselves in an endless loop.

Ideas for New Projectiles combos:
Candle Fire
"Gleelok 2" Fire
Magic
Sword
Arrow
Rocks
Fire Ball x3
Bomb Blast
S Bomb Blast
Ring of Fire (aka Din's Fire)

The potential Vaiations of all these might warrent modifications to the Combo Editor (A Combo Sub-Type Menu maybe?)

These would greatly increse the potential for Custom Bosses, Enemys and Traps.

Kingboo30
06-21-2006, 12:48 PM
Tiles that are in the 256 pallete should be made easier to rip. As you can rip tiles in that pallete much easier instead of recoloring.

beefster09
06-21-2006, 11:42 PM
I've got a few suggestions:

1) Whole new layering system
The layers dialog is replaced with a menu with a few items:

Switch to layer>(1-6)
---------------------
Make layer tanslucent>(1-6)

example you make a dungeon room switch to layer 1 to add the trim along the walls switch to layer 3 to add the tops of statues and other things

If you actually understand what I mean, This would make layering extremly more easier and you wouldn't need 3-4 map pages for one dungeon (like the one Im making now, takes forever to load because of the amount of maps I use)

iwn12, it already has that. there are some radio boxes to choose your layer on page 7 of that menu thing at the bottom.

it would also be nice for layers to actually be Built into each screen so you dont have to set them.

i have said this before, but misc items should be revamped.

Revfan9
06-22-2006, 02:28 AM
That's what he said. Learn to read.

iwn12
06-23-2006, 04:13 AM
it would also be nice for layers to actually be Built into each screen so you dont have to set them.

that's um... what I was trying to say:rolleyes:

also a simple screen flag that the music changes to such as after beating a boss the music stops.

Kingboo30
06-23-2006, 11:28 AM
How about making the true arrows counter for the BS subscreen when the rule is on? Because I'm getting tired of the current Z3 subscreen having no mini map. Say, can you make a rule where "Z3 subscreen has map."?

redmage777
06-23-2006, 01:51 PM
I agree, Mainly because I prefer the Horizontal Magic Meter to the Vertical one. It's far More versitile. I'm quite sure the Arrow Counter is not going to be a Z3 Subscreen exclusive in the end.

beefster09
06-23-2006, 02:42 PM
Wait, with that subscreen problem, you could have a multi-screen subscreen, like maybe split into items, equipment and map, so then it would be something like New Z3 subscreen or something.

Multiple buttons would be good for extra items, maybe that can be supported with a quest rule, not that we really need it, but an action button would be good.

iwn12
06-24-2006, 03:32 PM
http://www.geocities.com/iwincom12/z3multi.JPG
I made a quick picure on what one way a zelda 3 subscreen would look like.

I made this without anything from ZC because I can't get that one working right. I ripped these from the game itself.

EDIT:optional change-horizontal magic bar like in bs-zelda 3

Revfan9
06-24-2006, 08:34 PM
Rotate by degrees

When you hit Shift+R, a bos pops up asking how many degrees you would like to turn the tile. It may seem useless, but it would be an oh-so sweet shortcut when making diagonal walls for a dungeon set...

Type in RGB value

In the pallette editor, there are 3 text boxes for you to imput RGB values, and the x,y bars thing will move directly to that RGB value. Again, seems useless, but it could save hours for people who need a specific RGB value. I need specific ones constantly in palette making.

Door Flags

A new flag for each type of door after you have picked the doorset for the room. These flags fill the entire area of the door and they put a door there in the editor and the player, and work just like the real ones. They would even work in cave Dmaps. Again, useless for experienced quest makers, but it would allow newbies to get used to freeform much faster, and increase chances of better quests from newbies.

A way to solve the z3 scrolling problem.

With the rule enabled, a box will pop up when you hit a key that asks for the tile by tile dimensions of the screen, and it will scroll Z3 style until it hits the edges of the room, then it will scroll normally. For doors that lead to different screens, but are on the same side, a new type of warp called "Door Warp" that are set right below side warps in the menu. There would be 8 door warps, asking for which door warp of which screen to lead to. For the door flags, in the upper-right corner of the flag could be which door warp the door would trigger. The door warp would be determined by what order the flags are placed in, and after 8 door flags are placed, it will not let you place anymore unless it would overwrite one or you remove one. If door warps 1,2,3,4, and 5 were on the screen, then 4 was removed with flag 0, the others would remain 1,2,3, and 5. If another door flag was placed in the room, it would become 4. If 3 and 4 were erased, then the next one added would be 3, then the one after that added would be 4. If one more would be added, then the new one would be 6.

Sings/NPCs

4 new combos-Sign [a-d]. IN the same menu as strings, tilewarps, etc., are "signs" and it allows you to set the string for all 4 signs on the screen. When you walk into a sign, the set string appears, and when you press A at the final string, Link is returned to the quest. Setting the bottom half of the sign as walkable would make the sign only work from the bottom, setting the right half as walkable only makes it work from the right, etc. Setting it as fully walkable would make it work from all 4 sides. It would also work as a freeform combo. If the quest rule "Enable text boxes" is on, then "text box" will appear under map styles.

If you find anything wrong with these, please let me know.

iwn12
06-24-2006, 10:36 PM
A way to solve the z3 scrolling problem.

With the rule enabled, a box will pop up when you hit a key that asks for the tile by tile dimensions of the screen, and it will scroll Z3 style until it hits the edges of the room, then it will scroll normally. For doors that lead to different screens, but are on the same side, a new type of warp called "Door Warp" that are set right below side warps in the menu. There would be 8 door warps, asking for which door warp of which screen to lead to. For the door flags, in the upper-right corner of the flag could be which door warp the door would trigger. The door warp would be determined by what order the flags are placed in, and after 8 door flags are placed, it will not let you place anymore unless it would overwrite one or you remove one. If door warps 1,2,3,4, and 5 were on the screen, then 4 was removed with flag 0, the others would remain 1,2,3, and 5. If another door flag was placed in the room, it would become 4. If 3 and 4 were erased, then the next one added would be 3, then the one after that added would be 4. If one more would be added, then the new one would be 6.

I like your idea for z3 scrolling. but it might get complex for mapmakers. Id say make it so a dialoge pops up and prompts you by screen width and screen height that way you wouldn't be limited to 8 doors but seriousy, who would use more than 8 doors?the downside is that z3 scrolling would almost render the current subscreen map useless :( also add an option to zoom out and preview the whole area on one screen.

Instead of walking two tiles in to not get caught in a shutter, set it so you only walk past the shutter makes it easier for freeform dungeons.

beefster09
06-24-2006, 11:05 PM
no, a better way to fix the Z3 scroll problem is to be able to connect multiple screens, so in the editor and the map it looks the same, but on the Player it would seem to scroll. you still wouldn't be able to do oddly shaped screens though, but no big problem.

There should also be hotkeys in the tile editor for going to the tile to the right, left, up, and down to the tile you are currently working on, as well as seeing the tiles around it in the preview box.

Revfan9
06-24-2006, 11:24 PM
But your method of Z3 scrolling would cause the player to see blank screens while in a dungeon shaped like this:

______
|_|_|_|
...|_|

And noone can figure out a way to compensate for looking at blank or invalid screens, which is why we don't have Z3 scrolling now.

And for your second thing, there already are. ctrl+direction to move to a tile while still in the editor. The preview box thing would be nice, but there would be a space issue.

iwn12
06-24-2006, 11:47 PM
just fill in those blanks with ceiling tiles. all the time i see nothing but wall in dungeons in the real Z3

examples-> here (http://ian-albert.com/misc/zelda3.php)

eastern palace 1F

look at the bottom of the big item room

hyrule castle

look around the entrance room

EDIT: if you wanted it to appear to be rooms there you could use scrolling warps that connect to those rooms

EDIT2: had to disable the links as it was no hotlinking

redmage777
06-25-2006, 03:26 AM
Better yet take a look at the room where you fight Ganon!

The problem of dealing with Invalid screens should rest with the Questmaker anyway, but an option to assign a DMap-wide Default Combo to cover unused room could also be helpful. The worst that would happen is ZC crashes and the Questmaker has another bug to iron out of his Quest. Don't how it would be much differaint the correcting a bad warp tile or other common bug.

As for the Lttp Subcreen/Map Problem. How Viable is it to modify the BS Overworld Map into a dungion map on Dungion D-Maps?

Type in RGB value
In the pallette editor, there are 3 text boxes for you to imput RGB values, and the x,y bars thing will move directly to that RGB value. Again, seems useless, but it could save hours for people who need a specific RGB value. I need specific ones constantly in palette making.

Typing in RGB values is something I've been wanting for years... But fortunatly there is currently another way:

Home +1 Red
End -1 Red
Up Arrow +1 Green
Down Arrow -1 Green
Pg. Up +1 Blue
Pg. Down -1 Blue

It's still a bit Akward but Finding exact color values should be much easier now.

Dlbrooks33
06-25-2006, 12:33 PM
Z-3 Subscreen Style Map
Z-3 style map for dungeons and overworld when you press select, I mean come one we need a map for the Z-3 subscreen

beefster09
06-25-2006, 01:29 PM
ya know, an item that lets you dive (Zora Scale) would be cool, or maybe a few quest rules that work with/without it:
-Flippers only let you swim (maybe the "no diving" rule covers that)
-Don't show flippers on subscreen (like already knowing how to swim if you put it in the init data)

Button warps would be good too.

It would also be nice to be able to change text in the subscreen.

redmage777
06-25-2006, 02:59 PM
If you want link to know how to swim already, give him the Flippers in the Init. Data like you said, then simply use a Blank Tile for the Item Sprite.

As for no Diving/Zora's Scale the Rule could be reworded as "Dive with Scale only" since enabling the Rule and not including the scale in the game quite effectivly disables diving.

iwn12
06-26-2006, 12:04 AM
the technical name as in ZC terms for the scale should be L2 flippers so when you get the scale it replaces the L1 flippers. Also, renaming items for the Z 3 subscreen would be nice being as like in my quest I changed many items such as

letter--bottle
dins fire--bombos
faeroes wind--magic mirror
nayrus love-cane of byrna
bait--food
bow--wooden bow
long bow--heroes bow

if I said these were one thing in a string,then called it something else in the subscreen, it would make it confusing.

Revfan9
06-27-2006, 01:30 AM
But.... The subscreen doesn't tell you the name of the items...You can just call them that in the strings and the player wouldn't know the difference.

Or does it? 0_o

iwn12
06-27-2006, 05:04 PM
the new one does.
the zelda 3 style one

ShadowTiger
06-27-2006, 05:31 PM
But.... The subscreen doesn't tell you the name of the items...You can just call them that in the strings and the player wouldn't know the difference.

Or does it? 0_o
*lol* ... The Z3 Subscreen does display the item names, (And is probably the only Subscreen which does at the moment.) But I've -HEARD- rumors (Rumors. Not facts.) that in the (semi-near) future, you'll be able to name them yourself.

I think it'll get confusing with people to a degree, ... like, ... they'll say "Go look for the axe" and they'll be looking for a sword-type weapon (In the "A" Slot.) but it'll actually be the magic hammer made to look like an Axe, a'la DoY.

Revfan9
06-28-2006, 05:35 AM
This will sound akward, but possibly an experience point system?

We could have it set up as that you can set what each level up does, how many EXP to each level, how much EXP each enemy gives, and even a screen data slot that says "give player X exp upon entering", and you could use a subscreen that hides the EXP to do complex events easily (ie having to get x heart containers for a secret ending, find all the Link statues in the overworld side quest, etc.).

It could also be used actually for leveling up, and could be good for RPG-like quests such as Lost Legends.

Freedom
06-28-2006, 12:39 PM
I suggest adding Strings, Links flashing colors, and thrown sword and ricochet colors to misc. colors, so they can be set by the user without having to do so by editing palettes, or maybe the swords and ricochet could be set in weapons/misc

ShadowTiger
06-28-2006, 03:01 PM
True. At the VERY LEAST, a preview for such things would be nice, in the same screen where you set those colors and styles. Those, IMHO, are some of the more confusing parts of ZQuest. I still haven't quite gotten the Misc Colors area yet. <.<'

Nimono
06-28-2006, 03:18 PM
Why not have 2 new Tresure Chest combos: Treasure Chest (Z3) and Treasure Chest (Oracles/Z4). I'm sure the first could be made since ZC is becoming more and more like Z3, but here's what they do:
The first opens up when you press "A" and shows the Item selected under Special Item. The item "rises" out of the chest and is automatically given to Link without any special "Item Grabbed" animation. The "Item Collected" sound plays, though. The second works the same way, only the chest opens, shows nothing, then Link holds the Item above his head a few seconds later. The "Item Collected" sound plays. The first is, of course, from A Link to the Past. If people are going to use Z3-style ZC features, why not apply it to Treasure Chests and Item collecting?

Dlbrooks33
06-28-2006, 05:10 PM
we need the arrow conter and arrow control with the bomb control (example if you have 14 bombs or arrowsthat number would be above the item in the subscreen) for the rest of the subscreens. The arrow can take the 2 spaces in the hud box with the super bomb, remember those 2 spots have X's so the arrow can take up those 2 spots or just one of them ;)

beefster09
06-29-2006, 02:02 PM
I know that you can right click -> goto combo, but hotkeys in the map editor (like ctrl for fill) to do certain things like:
eyedropper - alt
lines - shift (vertical, horizontal, diagonal)

redmage777
06-29-2006, 03:33 PM
we need the arrow conter and arrow control with the bomb control (example if you have 14 bombs or arrowsthat number would be above the item in the subscreen) for the rest of the subscreens. The arrow can take the 2 spaces in the hud box with the super bomb, remember those 2 spots have X's so the arrow can take up those 2 spots or just one of them ;)

The Item Counters in the "B" Box kind of make the ones in the Hud box redundant, Why not Just remove them from future Subscreen Revisions, and use LttPs Window counters? They could be replaced with new counter types later on (Skultulas Tokens Maybe?)

So it now looks like this:
Rupies
Tokens
-Reserved-
Keys

Kingboo30
06-29-2006, 04:59 PM
How about a Screen Flag and rule that disables the Whirlwind the Whistle creates? That would be very interesting, especially with Puzzles that bring you back somewhere.

Dlbrooks33
06-30-2006, 10:41 AM
15 New Combo Types

Pit (1\2 damage,2, etc.)-To show Link plummiting and to do damage. Also with the rest of the damage amounts to do more damage.

Pit(A,B,C,D)-To show Link plummiting and to warp to a room to make it seem like he fell toa different floor.

Ice-To slide across making it trifle difficult to do something in that room.

Pot-So you can add liftable and you can still use the sword against it. Requires Misc/Weapons animation.

Rock-So you can add liftable to it. Requires Misc/Weapons animation.

1 New Room Type and Change a Room Type

Item Pond-To throw an item in a pong to upgrade like lttp, then it would require a space in misc data like shops to show which items can and cannot be thrown.

Change the Shop to S.Shop-S.Shop stands for stealing shop so you will have to be like LA and pick up the item and give it to the manager.

8 New Items and 2 Item Changes

Ice Rod-Z-3 that fires Ice.

Fire Rod-Z-3 that fires Fire.

Seed Shooter/Slingshot-Can fire the 5 seed types which will be item pickups like OoS-(Ember, Gale, Pegasus, Mystery, and Scent)

Power Bracelet and L-2 PowerBrace Let OoA, OoS, and LA Style

To pickup and throw the 2 new combo types (Pot and Rock) and the bush.

Kingboo30
06-30-2006, 12:37 PM
How about something like this.

How about a new screen flag which says
"Timed warp activates when text is finished."
So what this flag does is that the Side warp activates when all the text on a screen is finished. No more will the player have to press down during cutscenes and rather enjoy the scene. I'm suggesting this because most outsiders get pissed off when "the game freezes." or they don't what to do when a scene ends. And it would activate by pressing the "A" button.

And a screen flag that says "Items disabled" All items will be disabled, you can't use them. Like you getting hit by an item bubble. And a "Sword disabled" screen flag. The sword will be disabled on that screen, you can't use it.

How hard would it be to implement these screen flags?

beefster09
06-30-2006, 07:17 PM
15 New Combo Types

Pit (1\2 damage,2, etc.)-To show Link plummiting and to do damage. Also with the rest of the damage amounts to do more damage.

Pit(A,B,C,D)-To show Link plummiting and to warp to a room to make it seem like he fell toa different floor.

Ice-To slide across making it trifle difficult to do something in that room.

Pot-So you can add liftable and you can still use the sword against it. Requires Misc/Weapons animation.

Rock-So you can add liftable to it. Requires Misc/Weapons animation.

1 New Room Type and Change a Room Type

Item Pond-To throw an item in a pong to upgrade like lttp, then it would require a space in misc data like shops to show which items can and cannot be thrown.

Change the Shop to S.Shop-S.Shop stands for stealing shop so you will have to be like LA and pick up the item and give it to the manager.

8 New Items and 2 Item Changes

Ice Rod-Z-3 that fires Ice.

Fire Rod-Z-3 that fires Fire.

Seed Shooter/Slingshot-Can fire the 5 seed types which will be item pickups like OoS-(Ember, Gale, Pegasus, Mystery, and Scent)

Power Bracelet and L-2 PowerBrace Let OoA, OoS, and LA Style

To pickup and throw the 2 new combo types (Pot and Rock) and the bush.

Pit is already implemented. In fact most of these are already implemented. (with the exception of ice, which can be done with freeform combos i think)
the rods, slingshot, and hold/item pond arent implemented (but item pond is available)

Instead of the seed types, have arrow types (fire (2), ice(2), light(4))
*note: the numbers mean how many rupees/MP is used, depending on if the "true arrows/enable magic" rules are checked.

*b*
06-30-2006, 07:45 PM
a suggestion I thought of last night as I was testing my raft-paths; move Link up four pixels, and move the Raft down four pixels from their current locations during travel, to make it look like Link is actually standing on the raft

beefster09
06-30-2006, 07:54 PM
could be a quest rule.

Dlbrooks33
07-01-2006, 11:58 AM
fixing enhanced music would be great :)

Nicholas Steel
07-01-2006, 08:03 PM
its been awhile since i was working on my quest and i suddenly remembered something that annoyed me greatly... you can not have "silent move many blocks" with the "pause before pushing" rule on. (might have also affected "push once silent" in any direction aswell)

i think thats it... im unsure if thats correct... feel free to correct me.

---------

ignore the above due to this being what i was talking about... you can not have it so that "pause before pushing" rule occurs in a room that doesnt have any enemies.

can this be changed or adjusted with a quest rule?

*b*
07-02-2006, 12:23 AM
I just realized something with my above post; that's already the way it works. so, in light of that, here's four more suggestions that shouldn't make me look like a dumbass

first: one-way Raft paths. in my game, I have a "current" that takes Link on a somewhat scenic trip through a part of an area, but the problem is, Link can get right back on his raft and go into the current. having raft paths that disable movement in one direction would fix this completley

second: a Misc/Weapon sprite for the raft, to display it from more angles. the graphic would flip horizontally, but not vertically, because that would look funny if the sprite was drawn at a perspective

third: stop Link's animation on the raft

and fourth: make trigger combos trigger when Link passes over them on the raft. that could make some very interesting water puzzles if used with the first suggestion, and Raft Branch flags

Ganondork
07-03-2006, 01:43 PM
1) Can already be done with permanent triggers.

2) Useless unless you want really fancy graphic work in your quest, but still useful.

3) Useful incase you are using something other than a raft in place of the raft.

4) Same as 1.

Freedom
07-03-2006, 02:12 PM
I think all of *b*'s suggestions are good ones, but then he and I probably don't know as much about Zelda Classic as you do ganondork ;)

Love For Fire
07-03-2006, 04:29 PM
For number 1, can't you just not put a dock on the other side? The would make a one way raft ride since Link can't sail on raft flags without a dock tile.

Freedom
07-03-2006, 04:54 PM
I was thinking that might work too, but what if you use raft branches and want one way action?
;)

Ich
07-03-2006, 05:17 PM
How are we looking for language support on the newest version? I feel very confident in my German, but a large majority of Germans can speak passable enough English to make it seem like wasted effort. That, and I'm pretty sure I'll end up losing interest halfway through. More than maybe 500 words might be a bit much.

However, Spanish or French might be useful.

redmage777
07-03-2006, 09:35 PM
I'm beggining to think this Tread was a Bad Idea... On paper it was good, but the Topic changes so much it can be hard to discuss any of the Ideas imparticular for long. I mean Its only a matter of time before some random person puts forth a new Idea out of the blue. It doesent seem like it would be very constructive.

That said, A spanish version might be worth while, There seem to be alot of people in that group who doen speak engish as a second language. But I think that most people who speak french speak engilsh too, but I'm not sure what the countrys that speak are.

*b*
07-04-2006, 12:16 AM
1) Can already be done with permanent triggers.

2) Useless unless you want really fancy graphic work in your quest, but still useful.

3) Useful incase you are using something other than a raft in place of the raft.

4) Same as 1.
1/4)alright, it seems this is possible, however my other two suggestions stand

2) useless, just like the various direction graphics we already have fo the other items?

Dlbrooks33
07-04-2006, 07:43 PM
I know these have been instated a lot but heres the main cut out of things I probably didn't say before that we either want or need:

1.) Z-3 Scrolling
2.) Shovel
3.) Z-3 style torch
4.) Rolling
5.) Cliff-Hopping

Ganondork
07-05-2006, 04:10 PM
Gashin- Yes. But then again, it's possible to use just some random design for every combo type, every enemy, the items, and the link tiles and it would be a playable quest.

DlBrooks-

1) -_-
2) Alright.
3) ? I think the candle works just fine as it is, but whatever.
4) Seems OK.
5) Can already be done. It's in quite a few quests (although the only specific one I have seen it in is Adventures of Robinhood).

Kingboo30
07-06-2006, 12:06 AM
Gashin- Yes. But then again, it's possible to use just some random design for every combo type, every enemy, the items, and the link tiles and it would be a playable quest.

DlBrooks-

1) -_-
2) Alright.
3) ? I think the candle works just fine as it is, but whatever.
4) Seems OK.
5) Can already be done. It's in quite a few quests (although the only specific one I have seen it in is Adventures of Robinhood).

That number 5 uses up the raft though...

Wait, how about making palletes easier? It's late at night so this may be hard to understand. You know that you are able to copy and paste pallete colors in the pallete itself. However, if you try to copy from a pallete and paste to another, the copy data is lost. How about making it so we can copy paste pallete colors from one pallete to another. Makes our lives easier.

Freedom
07-06-2006, 12:11 AM
That number 5 uses up the raft though...

I don't use the raft to make jumps, I do it with combo cycling. ;)

*b*
07-06-2006, 12:30 PM
while that's true, would you want to play a quest like that? a big part of gameplay is the visual asthetics; how it looks. making the raft act in the same fashion as the rest of the useable items is just common sense. it serves no greater or lesser purpose than being able to scroll between screens faster does

Dlbrooks33
07-07-2006, 10:09 AM
I forgot some things:

1.) New Quest Rule:MC Style Dark < Means like on Minish Cap, when you enter a dark room, there is a circle of light around Link.

2.) New Quest Rule:NL(Nayru's Love)Rocket hurts < Means when you shoot the rockets from NL to get protected, if they collide with an enemy they get hurt.

3.) New Quest Rule:Enemies = Combo Type < Means if an enemy gets on a damage comdo they get hurt from it like Z-3. If they are over a pit they show falling animation(requires Misc/Weapons Animation).

4.) New Quest Rule:Dodongos Stay Dead < Means Dodongos stay dead like other bosses. They come backt o life for no reason dudes.

Kingboo30
07-07-2006, 03:50 PM
Let me add some more things.

1.) New Quest Rule: Rapid Sword Fire. This allows link to shoot his sword like he does when at full health regardless or not if there is already a sword fire is still on the screen.

2.) New Link Tile Mod:Link on Raft: This tile mod shows what the link sprite looks like when he's on a raft.

3.) New Screen flag Raft triggers secret. When Link gets off the raft, the secret triggers. This may not seem usful but plenty of ideas can be done with this.

I'll think of more later.

redmage777
07-07-2006, 04:16 PM
4.) New Quest Rule:Dodongos Stay Dead < Means Dodongos stay dead like other bosses. They come backt o life for no reason dudes.

And a rule/screen flag to make other Bosses come back to life

Kingboo30
07-08-2006, 10:43 PM
I forgot about something very important. MORE FREEFORM COMBOS!!

Maybe about 255 or 999 if possible.

*b*
07-08-2006, 11:58 PM
quest rule: Bombs Clear Grass. makes it so any grass combos in the hit area of the bomb or superbomb act as if they're cut with a sword, and drop items the same way

quest rule: Reduced Cut Items. reduces the chance of recieving an item from grass combos, bush, flower, and cut>item combos in half, but not enemies

I'm just so full of ideas I could explode *pop*

Kingboo30
07-09-2006, 01:54 PM
I got some more.

How about in Graphics<Sprites section there is an Enemy: Boomerang. Enemies that use that use the boomerang use the one specified in there.

And how how bout a Quest rule that has Link turn invisible when he throws the Boomerang and he can't move but is invincible?

ShadowTiger
07-10-2006, 02:56 PM
Hey, if he's got that down with the hookshot, why not with the boomerang? :shrug:

Ideas I had:

1) Screen Flag: Unfreeze Link (Strings)
When there's a string on the screen, Link wouldn't be frozen. He'd be free to walk around or do whatever, rather than being frozen until the string finishes. This would be useful for those side conversations you'd hear, kinda like in Deus Ex, or Star Trek Elite Force 1 or 2... etc.

2) Screen Flag: No Sword / No Items
Simply put, if this screen flag is on, you can't use your sword / items no matter what. Two different screen flags. Useful for cutscenes and cutscene-driven action events.

3) Free Lens Of Truth. Quest Rule. ... Eh. Just thought I'd add it in there. :p

Dlbrooks33
07-11-2006, 10:13 AM
only reason i suggested cliff-hopping is because if you do it like robinhood, it takes a lot of maps and tilewarps, so why do all that when:

1.) New Combo Type:Cliff-Top < To start the jump
2.) New Combo Type:Cliff < To continue jumping.
3.) New Combo Type:Cliff End < to end the jump.
4.) Make Link jump over anything solid!!!
5.) Last Time Saying This DO it Now!!!:Let Link sink in water so we can stop making water dense, i mean come on, water in other zeldas in not dense. To show drowning animation just do the first frame in swimming, then the rest is diving then he gets put back where he entered.New Quest Rule for that!:Drown=1/4 Heart Loss.

WindStrike
07-11-2006, 11:59 AM
1.) New Combo Type:Cliff-Top < To start the jump
2.) New Combo Type:Cliff < To continue jumping.
3.) New Combo Type:Cliff End < to end the jump.
I don't think 3 new combos like that would be added. Consider the number of people that would actually use that - not many at all. Besides, it really doesn't use any more than one extra map. Heck, you could make it so that it doesn't use any extra maps. But I'm not going to explain the finer details of all that...

4.) Make Link jump over anything solid!!!
Can you say Roc's Feather? Yeah... it ain't happenin'.

Drown=1/4 Heart Loss.
So drowning only makes you lose 1/4 of a heart? I'd say a whole heart would be more realistic.

Not tryin' to be mean with any of this - just statin' what I think (like always).

I'm not sure if this has been said already... but how about Link Raft Tile Mods? I know Gashin said something about move the raft down four pixels and link up four, so maybe this would just be a bit better. Or... in the Quest->Graphics->Sprites->Link, there could be this: Under the water set, there'd be a tab for Raft. And of course, the four boxes for Up, Left, Right, Down; only it's 2x2 tiles each (Or just plain 32x32). That'd be pretty nifty, hehehe... Heck, you could even change the raft item to a sail or something else.

beefster09
07-11-2006, 12:19 PM
why not Drown without flippers and 1/4; 1/2; 1 heart loss on drown Now we're all happy.

Dlbrooks33
07-11-2006, 03:05 PM
more sfx please for shallow water, swimming, bush cut, and pot smashing.

ShadowTiger
07-11-2006, 04:41 PM
Yeah, we've always needed more slots in the SFX for things, even if they're just applied to the screen flags "Play SFX 1" "Play SFX 2" "Play SFX 3" etc.

rocksfan13
07-12-2006, 09:23 AM
I don't understand why this wasn't suggested yet.

What about diagonal walking tiles. For the Z3 animation rule. It kinda looks really weird when you're walking diagonally and are facing up, down, left or right.
Wouldn't it work the same way as slash, right along with the option?

Radien ZC
07-19-2006, 05:26 AM
I don't understand why this wasn't suggested yet.

What about diagonal walking tiles. For the Z3 animation rule. It kinda looks really weird when you're walking diagonally and are facing up, down, left or right.
Wouldn't it work the same way as slash, right along with the option?
The problem there is that for all intents and purposes, Link is facing the direction he is shown as facing. If you swing your sword while moving diagonally, he will swing in the direction he faces. If diagonal movement tiles were to be added, diagonal slashing would also have to be added, or else it would confuse the player.

Since LTTP Link doesn't have either of these features, the incentive to add them is small. Even today, some 2D games with 8-directional movement will only have 4-directional animations to accomodate the hitbox for attacks.