PDA

View Full Version : Original graphics retrieval

Ookami
03-22-2006, 08:59 PM
How can I get the original unmodified graphics from this Zelda? I would like to try and reprogram the game in allegro from scratch myself simply for the practice (and to see if I can manage it).

firefly
03-22-2006, 09:37 PM
Ummm... Open ZQuest.exe and there are, you can save the file.
Or do you mean the original "Quest"?

Ookami
03-22-2006, 09:50 PM
Yes I can save the file as a .zgp file which is a custom file format and nothing else can open it as far as I know. I mean I would like the graphics in a regular bitmap format so I can work with them.

Freedom
03-22-2006, 10:04 PM
press z while in the tile pages to take screenshot that are put in your folder as bmp's

Ookami
03-22-2006, 10:14 PM
Can't take a screenshot while in tile mode. There are hundreds of custom graphics, but not a single downloadable copy of the original graphics? :\

firefly
03-22-2006, 10:20 PM
Hmmm... The only way I know is to set ZQuest in windowed mode and take a Snapshot of the entire screen, then paste it to Paint.

Freedom
03-22-2006, 10:57 PM
You have to do it like I said, screen by screen in the tile pages.

Rakki
03-23-2006, 12:42 AM
The original LoZ graphics exist entirely on the first two pages. Here they are.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/Rakki/ZC/LoZ_1.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/Rakki/ZC/LoZ_2.png

Just open these links and save the graphics as whatever.bmp, and then they'll be bitmaps. And since they're pngs, the colors are fine. Speaking of the same, these are just the tiles, not the tiles in all the colors they use. If you need the palettes too, I can rip those, but you'll have to ask for them too. :p

Ookami
03-26-2006, 01:47 AM
Thanks, I appreciate it. I didn't realize that all the original stuff was in the first two pages. What about all the other stuff? The boss characters and such.

Also, I need the palettes as well, but I'm not sure how to use them with the graphics. This is new to me, and I'm not sure how I would program it.

firefly
03-26-2006, 01:55 AM
Original pallete (http://www.filelodge.com/files/room18/458063/Pallete.zpl).
Ummm... I think the only way to open this is by using ZQuest... If you need images tell me.

Tygore
03-26-2006, 02:01 AM
Thanks, I appreciate it. I didn't realize that all the original stuff was in the first two pages. What about all the other stuff? The boss characters and such.

Also, I need the palettes as well, but I'm not sure how to use them with the graphics. This is new to me, and I'm not sure how I would program it.

Yep, complete set on two. Back in the day, before everything had its own page for animations, there was a total of 6 tile pages. No, I did not omit a digit.

Palettes, just open the classic set and look at their RGB values. Keep in mind a few colors have been added to the default set, you only want to use the first three colors in the palletes.

Ookami
03-26-2006, 11:29 PM
Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean about the palettes. And how do I apply them to the template graphics?

firefly
03-26-2006, 11:33 PM
Where? in Zquest or in a Bitmap?.

Yeah, I remember them in 1.84, Combo pages weren't they?, they were also in 1.00

Ookami
03-26-2006, 11:36 PM
In a bitmap format, when I'm programming it in. I'm not sure how to apply the palettes (I'm assuming there's more than one for the different color schemes of the dungeons and such) to the graphic templates.

firefly
03-26-2006, 11:49 PM
Then I think you need Images...
:( I can't post a link, sorry.

Rakki
03-27-2006, 01:31 PM

All the original LoZ bosses are on that first page, they just kind of need picked apart. Although, to work with the original animation, they need to stay in the places they're in in that pic. If you want enemies to use extra frames though, you'll need them ripped from many more pages, which I'll do if you need it. Although, you do know, if you start a new quest with a blank template, that you'll get all the original enemies and the original palette of LoZ, don't you? :p Just letting you know incase you haven't started your quest, yet.

Ookami
03-27-2006, 09:05 PM
All the original LoZ bosses are on that first page, they just kind of need picked apart. Although, to work with the original animation, they need to stay in the places they're in in that pic. If you want enemies to use extra frames though, you'll need them ripped from many more pages, which I'll do if you need it. Although, you do know, if you start a new quest with a blank template, that you'll get all the original enemies and the original palette of LoZ, don't you? :p Just letting you know incase you haven't started your quest, yet.

No I do know that, however I'm not making a quest. You must have misunderstood. I'm trying to reprogram the original zelda from scratch just like these guys have done using allegro, purely out of curiousity and game programming practice. All the resources are there, I just need to do the coding.

Rakki
03-30-2006, 05:42 PM
Oh yeah, whoops, I forgot you were doing that.