PDA

View Full Version : This makes no sense

biggiy05
03-22-2006, 07:01 PM
I met with the admissions director for COTC this past Monday to talk about getting into a paramedic class in the fall. I got all the information I needed then I asked her about financial aid and I found out that they don't offer any type of loans for the class I am taking. I can't get any school type loans for the ems program so it has to come out of my pocket or I need to try and get a loan from the bank for the class.

That makes no sense. They offer financial aid to a nursing student but they won't offer it to someone who wants to become a paramedic. If someone wants to go into accounting they will help them and an accountant makes pretty damn good money but I can't get any type of help and I won't make nearly as much as I should being a firefighter/paramedic.

What the fuck?

Archibaldo
03-22-2006, 08:49 PM
Maybe they think that a paramedic isn't a very profitable career to be able to pay back the loan. :shrug:

I could see lending money to an accountant seeing as how they make alot of money are probably gonna pay back the loan really quickly.

But then again, I might be confusing student loans with business loans, so don't listen to me. But surely the bank will give you the money you need. I don't see why they wouldn't.

But, yeah that is pretty fucked up. They should offer loans for any program you want to take.

moocow
03-22-2006, 09:48 PM
That's kind of dumb =/

If I had the money to loan you, I'd loan it to you, Andy :(

biggiy05
03-22-2006, 10:59 PM
Maybe they think that a paramedic isn't a very profitable career to be able to pay back the loan. :shrug:

I could see lending money to an accountant seeing as how they make alot of money are probably gonna pay back the loan really quickly.

But then again, I might be confusing student loans with business loans, so don't listen to me. But surely the bank will give you the money you need. I don't see why they wouldn't.

But, yeah that is pretty fucked up. They should offer loans for any program you want to take.

I probably should have been a little more clear about not being paid enough.

The payments on a loan are usually customized for the person making the payment, they go by how much you make and if you have a house payment, etc...

Firefighters are under paid all over the United States, granted there are some cities that pay well but for the most part we don't make what we should. I can't understand why someone like a programmer(no pun intended) can make a nice amount of money for sitting in front of a computer screen. I know it isn't an easy job but you are sitting at a computer where as I am inside a burning building or at the scene of a major car accident.

I get to risk my life by choice yes and make my family worry about me but it's a job I choose. I just wish they would pay us more.

likesallusions
03-25-2006, 09:19 PM
Welcome to Earth, full of nonsense and unfairness and anything else you can think of. I hope I don't have the same issues you do with whatever college I go to. Man that's frustrating just trying to understand some of this kind of stuff.