PDA

View Full Version : Sudoku

ONeilcool
03-20-2006, 10:03 PM
I dont know why, but recently ive seen alot of people walking around doing these sudoku game.

Does anyone here have an addiction to this number game?

Ive never personally played it because It never really interested me, but hey you gotta pass time somehow

firefly
03-20-2006, 10:10 PM
I don't know, it never interested me, I don't know how to play it.
Yeah, many people is addicted to this game.

phattonez
03-20-2006, 10:11 PM
I've tried it, but I got tired of it. It takes up too much of my time (not that my time is valuable, but I just get bored of it).

Archibaldo
03-20-2006, 10:54 PM
I played them alot at work on slow nights. It gets very addicting when you do them constantly. It's a good logic puzzle to do.

bigboylink
03-21-2006, 03:46 AM
I was hooked on them a few months ago, although it's been a while since I've touched one.

There are varying levels of difficulty for each puzzle ranging from "easy" to "fiendish". One problem I couldn't solve was how to design a "fiendish" puzzle - that is, know that a puzzle I designed is solvable (without explicitly solving it) and know that it will take an average sudoku challenger more than 5 minutes to complete.

DarkDragon
03-21-2006, 04:20 AM
Write a computer program that solves sudoku puzzles, ie, uses the two obvious solving rules (if any square has only one legal number, that number must be correct; if only one square in a row, column, or big square can be a given number, that square must be that number) and us brute force recurrence otherwise. Print out the number of times you were forced to recur; that number should be somewhat proportional to the puzzle's difficulty.

koopa
03-21-2006, 08:17 AM
I'm not exactly "addicted" to sudoku, but they are a good way to pass otherwise boring hours (school).

What I absolutely detest though is how everyone's trying to make money from this fad, there's now a sudoku boardgame, an enormous number of cheap electronic sudoku computers, sudoku merchandise, next I guess we'll see Sudoku - The Movie. ... The list of things the world doesn't really need has just got longer again.

Verman
03-21-2006, 10:41 AM
What is a sudoku puzzle?

nevermind, did a search: http://www.sudoku.com/ ... looks interesting!

ZTC
03-21-2006, 12:23 PM
A few months ago I was addicted to it, but now I really don't do a puzzle anymore. When I do though, it's quite fun.

Glenn the Great
03-21-2006, 02:26 PM
I did my first Sudoku puzzle last week, it's pretty cool.

Rainman
03-21-2006, 02:29 PM
My parents are crosswording and sudokuing machines. I've never really touched sudoku though, but I have a general idea of how it is played. It's quite popular on this campus. I just stick to crosswords though which I'm trying to get good enough at the complete in one sitting without help.

Archibaldo
03-21-2006, 03:29 PM
Yeah, it seems Sudoku just came out of nowhere. And now, every body is playing it. But, I'd give it a few more months before people go back to cross words. I think people prefer Sudoku puzzles to cross word puzzles because you don't need a large vocabulary to solve one, just a good sense of logic. I know I do. I've tried to solve the cross words in the news paper and frankly I couldn't get past half of it. :shrug:

Glenn the Great
03-21-2006, 07:16 PM
I learned about it myself off of Wikipedia. I was looking up stuff about that House show, and it said that the whole cast was addicted to the game, and it had to be banned from the set.

I looked up Sudoku, and tried a sample "Easy" one. It was rather easy; I had to employ some skills that I use when playing Minesweeper to figure out by process of elimination what goes where. I haven't tried the harder puzzles yet.

But yeah, as Dark Dragon said, the puzzles are made at random and solved by a computer program, and the puzzles can be sorted by difficulty based on how many operations had to be run to solve the puzzle.

ZomfgIts0rzlolo
03-21-2006, 08:57 PM
My mom does a bunch, I've done a few, they're ok for a little while but they're a tad too formulaic for me.

Jigglysaint
03-22-2006, 12:12 AM
The only mental games I like to play are with other people. My girlfriend is addicted to word searches. Maybe in another time, another place, she would like this kind of stuff since she loves counting stuff, but who knows?

bigboylink
03-22-2006, 01:11 AM
The only mental games I like to play are with other people.

You could have a race with your gf to see who can complete the same sudoku puzzle faster.

Jigglysaint
03-22-2006, 01:36 AM
Unfortunatly between the two of us it would be like 10 miniutes followed by each of us screaming and giving up 'cause it's too hard. I know my GF, and she's not a very cerebral person. She just likes numbers.

richie
03-22-2006, 02:49 PM
I just started (3 weeks ago) and only got 'easy' ones.
It's gotten quite popular between students/pupils here in the last month (here== 'cross the big lake).
Anyway, here's something for you (I currently use it): http://www.su-doku.com.