PDA

View Full Version : Fixing the wand fire...

idontknow
03-17-2006, 01:34 AM
How 'bout a quest rule simply called "Wand Fire Fix"?

If you place burn or wand fire flags and then you play your quest, you'll notice that when you fire the magic wand at these flags, the magic goes right past these flags, so they can't be triggered, unless they happen to be on the edge of the screen, the only place where wand fire seems to appear. Even when the magic hits a 'magic sponge' combo, it does not turn into fire when you have the magic book.

Perhaps there could be two quest rules:
+The first makes it so that wand magic will turn into fire if it hits wand fire or burn flags.
+The second makes it so that wand magic turns into fire when it hits enemies (besides enemies that are immune to magic, such as darknuts); this only happens when you have the magic book of course.

Cloral
03-17-2006, 02:29 AM
#2 already happens. In Hidden Duality in level 8 you had to take advantage of this property in order to beat the level.

Nicholas Steel
03-17-2006, 04:24 AM
how bout make it so that it turns into a fireball whenever it hits something solid.

idontknow
03-17-2006, 01:26 PM
Hmmm...yes, seems that the fire does appear when you go through enemies. My bad. Perhaps a quest rule where the player can opt to have magic go through all enemies (like the master sword beam) unless the magic is absorbed (like the darknut shields)

And another quest rule where magic is stopped & changes into fire when it hits a burn or wand fire flag, and only if the magic book has been obtained.

Finally, a quest rule that makes it so wand fire consumes magic. Therefore, when you use the wand to shoot magic, some magic is lost. When you hit the edge of the screen, an enemy, or a target such as defined by the first quest rule above, then if you also have enough magic still, the magic turns into fire but also drains additional magic.

Rakki
03-18-2006, 03:18 AM
My bad. Perhaps a quest rule where the player can opt to have magic go through all enemies (like the master sword beam) unless the magic is absorbed (like the darknut shields)
Sounds good...

And another quest rule where magic is stopped & changes into fire when it hits a burn or wand fire flag, and only if the magic book has been obtained.
Maybe separate rules to decide whether or not magic can always go through those flags, and whether or not the fire will be lit when it hits it (after the book is obtained)?

Finally, a quest rule that makes it so wand fire consumes magic. Therefore, when you use the wand to shoot magic, some magic is lost. When you hit the edge of the screen, an enemy, or a target such as defined by the first quest rule above, then if you also have enough magic still, the magic turns into fire but also drains additional magic.
Now that's an interesting one... The wand automatically decides to take magic once the meter is enabled, I believe, but fires don't take additional magic... That'd be an interesting quest rule, I think.

In addition to these, I think we should also have the rule to make magic stop when it hits solid combos.

eXodus
03-18-2006, 03:52 AM
Why not have rules for just about all projectiles to not go through walls? I'm sure if you just stopped at Magic, people would ask for more...

Nicholas Steel
03-18-2006, 04:53 AM
yea... this should also affect arrows, sword beams, bombs, etc. (when bombs can be thrown make it so they cant be thrown over walls etc.)

Rakki
03-20-2006, 04:42 AM
yea... this should also affect arrows, sword beams, bombs, etc. (when bombs can be thrown make it so they cant be thrown over walls etc.)
The only problem I see with this is that we'd also need a "bomb pass" combo so that we could make border walls that Link CAN'T cross, but Bombs CAN, ala Link's Awakening. You know, for the "puzzles" it provides.

Cloral
03-20-2006, 01:46 PM
I think what we really need is a combo type that indicates that projectiles should't be able to pass through it. Basically an extension of the 'magic sponge' combo type that affects all projectile types - fireballs, magic, arrows, rocks, any other types I'm forgetting right now, ...