PDA

View Full Version : how to make npc

linkman652
03-15-2006, 04:09 PM
how do u make a npc . i have read that you can but others say you cant i really dont get so will you guys help me :)

koopa
03-15-2006, 04:28 PM
A NPC that says something: press G for guy, select one, S for string. On a level dmap (level number > 0) the guy will appear in the room, on an overworld/level 0 dmap you can make a cave tile warp and he will appear in the cave.

Choose fire as guy and, depending on the tileset, erase the fire guy to make an invisible guy that says a string text. Then, to make you own custom NPC just make the tile and place him on screen - preferably on a layer, so he appears over other things (floor).

To make the NPC give you an item just seleft the item for that screen.

Tile, layer, dmap ... if anything's not clear I'm happy to explain.

linkman652
03-15-2006, 04:32 PM
no i mean like moving and walk up to them and they talk to you. like signs

xXVolvagiaXx
03-15-2006, 04:39 PM
That feature is yet to be implemented. So I guess we'll all just have to wait untill a beta is released with that feature. But, there is a way to make it so you can create a custom NPC.
--------------------------------------------------
First: Choose a character sprite and set him to a screen on layer 1.
Second: Put a warp tile in front of him.
Third: Copy the screen and make a DMap for him. Set a Guy and String.(make sure the dmap has a level number!)
Finally: Put warp tiles around the place where you appear, so when it's done, you'll warp back. (Make sure you set the warps to Insta-Warp);)
--------------------------------------------------
If you already knew this, then I guess anybody else who reads this post and didn't know can learn a bit.

koopa
03-15-2006, 04:43 PM
There are two ways to make someone talk to you (or a sign, for that matter) when you walk up to them. The first is you make 2 identical screens, except that the string is only on the 2nd, and on the first you put combos of type "direct warp" to the 2nd where you want to stand so the string appears. On the second you can put direct warp combos (that warp you back to the first) around that square.

The other way is to put the string in a graphic (tiles) and have flags that make some tiles change into the "string tiles" and back. The trigger temp combo triggers secrets when you stand on it.