PDA

View Full Version : so many warps ..... but

Freedom
03-15-2006, 02:17 PM
I just noticed in 2.11b9 that sidewarps are being ignored again as continue points.
This is going to break all my previous quests.

I looked in screen data and rules...
In screen data we have;

Direct auto warp
Direct timed warp
Random timed warp
direct sensitive warp

Exactly what do these do and what were they intended to be used for?

I also couldn't find anything in rules that allowed me to set my quest to revert back to using sidewarps as (enterance/exit) type continue screens.

I have a situation where "Link" travels clear across the overworld using insta-warps and then uses a scrolling sidewarp when he arives to set his continue point in that overworld area, but he is ignoring that sidewarp and when he dies, he returns clear back almost to the start screen (point of last enterance/exit warp.)

ok... further digging I found this
http://www.armageddongames.net/showpost.php?p=1056971&postcount=15

It mentions a "use as save screen screen flag (auto)", but I don't see it in screen data.
EDIT,
I need spectacles, I found it, now I'll test it out and see how it works.

ok, this makes it save to that screen,BUT it starts there when you quit and save too.
I thought that's what the continue here box in the dmap was supposed to do.
How can I get it to save on that screen ONLY during gameplay when a player dies, but then revert back to the last continue here dmap when the player quits, saves, and then starts playing again at a later time?
"use save screen (sp)" doesn't seem to do anything at all unless you use it with a save point tile, then it's just like save auto and saves to that screen and starts you there after quiting.

We need to be able to save in areas, but have it revert back to the start screen after quitting, like sidewarp used to do.
Using enterance/exit warps for this works but has the screen scrolling effect, which defeats the purpose.

So we're back to continue bugs again huh?

jman2050
03-15-2006, 07:22 PM
Not using scrolling warps should ONLY affect quests below 1.93 beta 3. Anything higher (inclding 2.10) should be unaffected.

A 'continue on this screen flag' should be added shortly that'll not affect the save point. Also, a 'don't continue here' flag for E/E warps you dont want to act as continue points.

Freedom
03-15-2006, 07:30 PM
Not using scrolling warps should ONLY affect quests below 1.93 beta 3. Anything higher (inclding 2.10) should be unaffected.

A 'continue on this screen flag' should be added shortly that'll not affect the save point. Also, a 'don't continue here' flag for E/E warps you dont want to act as continue points.

uh... how do you figure that?
In 2.10 sidewarps saved the screen position, and I used that feature, but now it's going back to the last enterance/exit warp, so that changes the whole set-up.
Example,
wind wizzerobes are now not going to return Link to the screen I had them returning them too, they are going to return him to the last enterance/exit warp he encountered which may be on a differant floor all together.

It clears up problems in quests 192b183 and before, but transfers them to quests 192b184 and above.

jman2050
03-15-2006, 07:39 PM
hmm...

Check to see if the rule Scroll Warps don't Continue is set. If it isn't and you're still having this problem, it could be a bug on my end.

Freedom
03-15-2006, 07:47 PM
I can't seem to find that rule.

jman2050
03-15-2006, 08:16 PM
Oh, silly me, that's only in beta 10... That means only one thing could be happening: are you sure you're A) scolling into a different dmap and B) The green square for that room is set? If you're sure about B, try setting the green square for the room you're scrolling FROm and see if that fxes the problem.

Freedom
03-15-2006, 08:46 PM
I think we are misunderstanding each other here.

Nope I'm not warping to a different dmap I'm scrolling to the same one simply to set a continue point should link die in that area, I'm trying to use a scrolling warp to set the screen that I want a dead link to return to, and if he dies in that area, I want him to start at that screen, but if the player quits, I want them to start back at the beginning of the games opening screen.

As it is in b9 I can only make this work using an enterance/exit warp but I don't want to do that because of the opening scrolling effect that warp type causes.

In 2.10 you could set a side scrolling warp into a overworld area, and then if Link died in that area he would continue on that screen, but if the player quit, it went back the the opening (continue here) dmap, and by doing it this way nobody would even know they warped and the continue point was then set there so they wouldn't have to go clear back to that screen from the opening screen.

This doesn't even seem possible in the b9, so with all those warps and types, it's like it's forcing me to let the player decide where to save or not by forcing me to put a save screen there that will then start them back there even after quitting the game.

See what I mean?

jman2050
03-15-2006, 08:51 PM
Odd, I don't recall 2.10 having that behavior. As far as I knew (and according to the code I was given when i first started out developing), scrolling warps only set the continue point when changing dmaps. Not scrolling within the same dmap. I'll have to ask DN about that one.

ShadowTiger
03-15-2006, 08:56 PM
Something on and off topic, ... a little icon that tells you if you'll be continuing on this screen or not. Just in general.

Freedom
03-15-2006, 09:01 PM
You may be right, that may have been what caused the triforce bug in the work-around for the continue error prior to that, that cdawg and I both encountered, it seemed to happen when using sidewarps withing a dungeon between the enterance/exit and the triforce.

99% of the time I did that, I was going to another dmap because there were color changes to the areas.
So are you saying if I add another dmap then it will revert back to setting a continue point?

jman2050
03-15-2006, 09:02 PM
yes

Freedom
03-15-2006, 09:10 PM
fantastic!
Thanks, I give you a cookie, but don't bite into until I test it out, I just might want it back. ;)

Freedom
03-15-2006, 09:37 PM
It changes it, but it doesn't fix it.
Now it goes to another sidewarp that he didn't even use in testing this.

So this means only 1 sidewarp can be used into a certain area?

EDIT,
This warp continue point situation is really messed up Jman.
I have Link sidewarping into a dungeon and it starts him off back on the overword when he dies, on a completely different dmap.
You're going to be plagued with complaints about how this is working once people realize it.
It's right back to having the same exact continue problems it had back in 192b183 and before.

I found a way to make it work, not only do you need another dmap for the sidewarp, but you must use a level number too.
That would mean no more using level 0 for the overworld.

How about giving us an insta-warp that acts like an enterance exit without the opening screen effects, that sets a continue point for an area only until you quit, then the game opens on the original start screen, or even a combo that acts that way, so you step on it and that's where you return to when you die, until you quit.