PDA

View Full Version : Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence

AlexMax
03-15-2006, 11:44 AM
When MGS3 first came out, I was quite skeptical, having played five or ten minutes worth of play and disliking the outdoor setting and how I could hardly see what I was doing in it. However, now that MGS3 has had a while to sit, people tell me how great the origional game was. So I decided to wait for the inevitable "Intergal/Substance" addition, which I figured would extend gametime.

And now it's here. Metal Gear Solid 3 : Substinence is now out, and although it's missing VR missions (Honestly, could Kojima not come up with 'training courses' in a realistic setting or something?), it has the usual assortment of extra goodies you can expect from a MGS addition...and something totally new.

This monster comes on TWO DISCS. Three if you have the limited edition thingy, but since nobody here probably has that, I'll just skip over it.

Disc one has...

* The Origional MGS3
Well, not actually the origional MGS3. If this had shipped without the new camera, I wouldn't have gotten it. Yep, you heard right, in addition to the traditional overhead view (which I admit could be userful in some circumstances), you now get a 3D behind-snake camera so you can actually see in front of you at all times. And supposedly, the story itself is pretty awesome too, though from what I hear not quite the mindfuck that MGS2 was (which was amazing). And for you massachistic people out there, there's the usual European Extreme mode. How you people ever beat MGS2 in EE is beyond me, and I can't wait to beat it on Normal, look at your times for beating it on EE, and shake my head.
* Demo Theatre
You can watch any cutscene you've seen before, with Snake in any camo you want. And apparently, there are a bunch of hidden stuff that only unlocks under certain conditions.

Disc two has...

* The MSX version of Metal Gear 1 and 2
The MSX was a personal computer created by Sony that never came out over here. Metal Gear 1 was eventually ported to the NES and PC, but they were inferior versions of the origional. Metal Gear 2 even never came out over here, instead we got some dumb game called "Snakes Revenge" that sucked. For the official american release, they have translated both games to the standard of today (no more I FEEL ASLEEP!), and have updated the artwork so the charactors are more recognizable. And apparently they're both pretty good games, even today.
* Duel Mode
Boss attack. Two variations. Big whoop.
* Secret Theatre
Apparently, in addition to all the secret cutscenes in the first disc, there were also a bunch of outakes taken for the MGS3 release party. You can find them here.
* Snake versus Monkey
I don't know what the hell this is
* Online Mode
This should be interesting. It doesn't look too radical, like Splinter Cell's superb multiplayer, but apparently the Japanese are still playing it months after release, and Sony has had a while to tweak everything, so I'm fairly confident this mode might be more than a mild curiosity, unlike Sony's other online games past SOCOM.

Want the kicker? All of this will set you back twenty nine bucks. Maybe I would have passed at 50, but at 30 there's really no excuse to not try it, even if you're upset about not playing Solid Snake.