PDA

View Full Version : How to make a Zelda 64 Day and Night Effect! 1st Edition.

Limzo
03-14-2006, 05:15 PM
I originaly posted something similar this to help LinkvsSora101 with their Ocarina of Time remake, so here is a (sort of) tutorial on how to make my patented Day and Night effect! It includes brief mentionings of Ocarina of Time but this is just my first edition. I hope to make a second edition for those who have no knowledge of Ocarina of Time. And just so you know, this is only for the Young Link version of Hyrule. I don't mind if you use this effect in your quest, just as long as you PM me about it first and put me in the credits.

---------------------------------------------
Part 1: - The Overworld
---------------------------------------------

First of all, lets pretend we have a basic daytime Hyrule Field overworld. There are few enemies.
On the bottom of the overworld in the middle there is a tree and on the screen directly below this is a wobly bridge (that has it's own whole screen) that leeds to Kokiri Forest. The bridge is the only screen on the bottom row of the map. (row 7)
Running down the right hand side of the overworld there is a river. Across this river near the bottom right there is the entrance to Zora river. Further near the top of the river there is a bridge and a long pathway which leads to Kakariko Village.
At the top-middle of the overworld there are the south outer walls of Hyrule Castle Town and drawbridge going over a moat. Across the bridge is the entrance to Hyrule Castle Town.
In the top-left of the overworld there is the entrance to Gerudo Valley.
On the left of the overworld there is a fence blocking direct access to Lake Hylia. Instead there is a slow-walk pathway which goes further up that has more fence all the way round it except the pathway entrance.
There is a sandy path that links all of the areas together.
There are some pea-hats in the top-left quarter of the overworld.
This is our day-time overworld.

Now we have copied that whole overworld map and made another one almost exactly the same. We have made the colours darker and changed the entrance to Hyrule castle town so that the drawbridge is up. We have placed more enemies on the overworld, they are all Stalfos 1s plus the already existing Pea-hats.
This is our night-time overworld.

Now, back to the day overworld. We go to the bridge screen screen just outside of Kokiri forest. We go to Quest -> Screen Data and set a timed warp to happen in 3 minutes 30 seconds. Then we set the warp to take us to the same bridge screen on the night overworld. Set the timed warp the same on the night bridge screen to take us to the day overworld. Make sure that (if possible) the warp type is Insta-warp Zap FX and the blue square is in the middle of the screen (on both screens).

Ok, so now we go up one screen to where the tree is (the tree screen is hopefully on row 6). We set the timed warp again as we just did do, with the same warping on the night-time screen but now we take 15 seconds off the time. The timed warp should now take 3 minutes 15 seconds.

We do the timed warping the same for every screen on row 6, making sure the timing is 3 minutes 15 seconds.

Now on row 5, row 4, row 3 and so on, we keep doing this timed warping to the night overworld and back, taking 15 seconds of the time each time we go up a row. Appart from Row 0, which has the time of 1 minute.

Here are the timed warp times for each row displayed in tics and minutes:
Row 7: 3:30 = 198 tics
Row 6: 3:15 = 189 tics
Row 5: 3:00 = 180 tics
Row 4: 2:45 = 147 tics
Row 3: 2:30 = 138 tics
Row 2: 2:15 = 129 tics
Row 1: 2:00 = 120 tics
Row 0: 1:00 = 60 tics.

Once you have done all of this, well done! You have succesfuly made your first double overworld! Name the day overworld's DMap, "Day Overw 1" and the night overworld's DMap, "Night Overw 1"

Now you need to make 3 more copies of both the day and night overworlds.
Name the second copies "Day Overw 2" and "Night Overw 2" and name the 3rd and 4th copies respectively.

Now on the 2nd overworld, do the timed warps the same as before but reverse the order of them from top to bottom, so that Row 0 is 3 minutes 30 seconds and Row 7 is 1 minute.

On the 3rd overworlds, the long times are on the left hand side and the short times on the right. They are as follows in minutes and tics. (Col = Column)
Col 1: 8:30 = 498 tics
Col 2: 8:00 = 480 tics
Col 3: 7:30 = 438 tics
Col 4: 7:00 = 420 tics
Col 5: 6:30 = 378 tics
Col 6: 6:00 = 360 tics
Col 7: 5:30 = 318 tics
Col 8: 5:00 = 300 tics
Col 9: 4:30 = 258 tics
Col A: 4:00 = 240 tics
Col B: 3:30 = 198 tics
Col C: 3:00 = 180 tics
Col D: 2:30 = 138 tics
Col E: 2:00 = 120 tics
Col F: 1:00 = 60 tics

On the 4th overworlds, do the timing as shown here but reverse the columns so that Col F is 498 tics and Col 1 is 60 tics.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Part 2: - The Towns, villages and other areas.
--------------------------------------------------------------
So now we have made our overworld, we have to make the other areas.

We have made these areas:
Kokiri Forest,
Hyrule Castle Town,
Kakariko Village,
Kakariko graveyard,
Death Mountain,
Lake Hylia,
Gerudo Valley,
Outside Hyrule Castle,
Zora River,
and Zora City.

To start, we shall apply the day-to-night effect as shown in Part 1 to the following areas:
(You will have to go adlib with the timed warps because they would not be exactly the same)
Death Mountain,
Lake Hylia,
Gerudo Valley,
Outside Hyrule Castle,
and Zora River.

Now we have to just make night-time versions of the remaining areas.
Make sure that when you leave the daytime version of a non-time affected area it takes you to the Daytime part of the time affected area and vice-versa.
Make sure that when you leave the night-time version of a non-time affected area it takes you to the Night-time part of the time affected area.

In the Kakariko Graveyard in the real game, Dampé does not come out until the evening. In LinkvsSora101's version, Dampé could say he will not come out until NIGHT-TIME. So in the Night-time version of Kakariko Graveyard, Dampé would be standing there. This can easily be applied to other parts of the game that do not happen until night.

If you want to be really precise with your times of the day, you could make morning overworlds, midday overworlds, afternoon overworlds, evening overworlds, late night overworlds and midnight overworlds. It is acheivable but I do not suggest it as you would have to have 48 different versions of basicly the same overworld and it would take up a lot of filespace!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I hope people like this and are interested because making this article took a lot of my time. Hope you like it, Limzo!

Rakki
03-14-2006, 06:20 PM
Umm, isn't using timed warps going to make it so that you have to stand around in the same screen until the warp goes off for it to work? If the player moves around fast enough, it'll always stay either day or night, currently. I think the devs are working on implementing counters that DON'T reset/stop on leaving a screen, though. But yeah, I don't think this'll work, currently. What WILL work currently (in the betas) is setting one side-warp to each side of the screen, and setting up the screens so that it gets darker/lighter every time you go to a new screen. This is the same style of day/night that games like Sword of Mana used.

Edit: Also, I just noticed you stretched the tables. I think that's against the rules. >_>; So, you might want to edit those lines with the dashes so that it doesn't cause the page to stretch.

firefly
03-14-2006, 06:24 PM
Edit: Also, I just noticed you stretched the tables. I think that's against the rules. >_>; So, you might want to edit those lines with the dashes so that it doesn't cause the page to stretch.
What, I can't see anything wrong...

EDIT: I'm using a 1024 X 768 screen. So stupid...

Rakki
03-14-2006, 06:28 PM
So am I, firefly, but I can still see that it's stretched because our posts match up in size, and his doesn't. So people on 800x600 res are going to have to scroll sideways.

firefly
03-14-2006, 06:57 PM
Well, you got lucky:

http://www.geocities.com/firefly_zc/Day_and_night.htm

It's simple, I'll put more things in it later, I made it in less than 2 minutes.
I'm compiling some info like this, I'll release it as a tutorial, in a loooong time...

EDIT: I was bored...

LinkvsSora101
03-14-2006, 09:15 PM
Wow, thanks, i appreciate taking all this time thinking that out to help me with my quest! I hope it turns out well.