PDA

View Full Version : Tips & Tricks Thread (for beta 8 & 9)

idontknow
03-14-2006, 02:40 AM
What 'tricks' or puzzles can you make using Beta 8 or 9?

I'll list some ideas of my own; if interested in any particular one, ask me & i'll let ya know exactly how to do so yourself.

1) A statue in the center of the room where the eye looks up, then to the right, then down, then left, then back up & so on. Whatever direction it is looking at when you hit it with an arrow, that's the door that will open. (Hint: Uses careful combo cycling & inherent flags) So if you hit when the eye looks north, the top door opens. Leave & come back, hit it again and a different door may open (and note that only one door will always open)

2) Block puzzles where you Push a block into a gap and then it appears to fall into that gap & then you can walk over it. Or you can make blocks similar to the large blue blocks in OoT (sort of). You push the block into certain spaces, like maybe a ring of light, and then the block seems to vanish mysteriously.

3) Warping: Now you could have virtually dozens of warps! Not only could you have 4, but each of the 4 warps could warp you to 4 different identical copies of the original screen and each of the 4 copies could lead to 4 different places (for a total of 16) You could have numerous places & people on the same screen!

4) Random weather effects: you could theoretically have an overworld with multiple copies where different weeather effects occur on certain screens. Specify a tic length, then have random timed warps occur. You could have it snowy, sunny, windy, rainy, etc. Perhaps different paths open up or different secrets are revealed during certain weather.

5) Warp Pads: You could theoretically set all 4 warps to the same room, changing the warp arrival locations however, so that Link appears to instanly warp around a single room when he steps on certain combos.

6) Footprints: In the snow, or in sand. You could also perhaps use combo cycling to make them disappear after a certain amount of time. I think this may however be somewhat buggy, as your footprints may appear on the combo above you if you walk between combos, since step combos appear to have low sensitivity.

7) Better Minigames: You could make a target practice minigame so Link has to break all targets with his bow & arrow. Or a minigame where he has to defeat all the monsters and what monsters that appear are 'randomly' selected, or a treasure chest minigame, where what's in the chest is 'random' each time.

What tricks/puzzles/events do you anticipate creating from these current betas?

Nicholas Steel
03-14-2006, 03:04 AM
3) Warping: Now you could have virtually dozens of warps! Not only could you have 4, but each of the 4 warps could warp you to 4 different identical copies of the original screen and each of the 4 copies could lead to 4 different places (for a total of 16) You could have numerous places & people on the same screen!

i have allready done this in my quest. its pretty neat.

Petoe
03-14-2006, 10:00 AM
What tricks?
Moving targets. Enough said.

...well, I could be a bit more specific. :p
With inherent flags, you can make flags cycle, so that means you can move to target flags (5-arrow, 76-wand etc.) around the screen.

Jigglysaint
03-14-2006, 05:05 PM
OMG! I thought of a really cool idea! Enemy inherint flags! When you kill an enemy with that flag, the flag triggers. This would mean you could have a room with 10 enemies, and only one of them triggers the secret, like in Startropics. Maybe it could be that you have to kill the enemy a certain way for the trigger to occure.

idontknow
03-14-2006, 05:23 PM
^I'm confused..."when you kill an enemy with that flag..." Enemies don't have inherent flags--combos do. It'd be cool if each enemy held a different secret to set off seperately but i dont think that's possible.

And i dont know if u were hinting a suggestion, but if so, this thread is meant for feasible ideas that make use of beta 8 & 9, not for suggestions.

Rakki
03-14-2006, 06:42 PM
Like I just mentioned in the normal forums, a day/night system can be set up using side warps. You'd have to copy your entire overworld a couple of times, and then adjust the palettes to make it darker/lighter, but then after that, you'd just set up a few dmaps for the overworld instead of one, and then set up side warps on every screen to take you to the next screen with the next darkest/lightest palette to achieve the effect of passing time, ala Sword of Mana (or any of the other Mana games which use this, like SD3). Even better, you can use room state carryovers (I think) to make it so that the enemies/secrets for a screen don't keep appearing when you enter that screen at a different time of day.