PDA

View Full Version : Slobo and Human Justice

Glenn the Great
03-12-2006, 08:42 PM
Just recently in the news, the overthrown dictator of Yugoslavia, Slobodan Milosevic, has died in prison of a heart attack near the end of his trial for war crimes against the Serbian people. What has been catching my attention about many of the news stories is an overwhelming sense of utter disappointment in the fact that by dying he has "Thwarted Justice" or "Escaped Responsibility" since his trial wasn't over yet.

The man is dead. Dead. What more do people want?

I personally have no care for the man. He was a terrible butchering tyrant, but he's dead. My interest in this story and peoples' reactions to it are because they are a good example of a problem I have with many peoples' idea of justice. Some ideas which I find absurd and not worthy of the admiration that the concept of justice should have.

There have always been people like this who do damage against society or the world around them in some way. I am a firm believer that the aim of justice, or the solution to the problem, is to focus on separating the perputrator from the outside world through either prison or death (if necessary.) Contain the offender, and the problem vanishes.

People always struggle with the idea of whether a prison's purpose should be
to isolate the offender so he does no more harm, or simply to "punish" the offender. I believe in the former, and the only justification I see for "punishment", is in cases where it is understood that the offender will be released in the future, and thus there is the legitimate concern for stopping recidivism (future offenses.)

But that simply isn't the case in matters like this where if the sentence isn't death, it is sure that the offender will spend the rest of his life in prison. In cases like this, the only reasonable goal is the separation from society. In Milosevic's case, his death has effectively satisfied this goal. So why is there so much anger over the matter?

This anger makes me picture in my mind the people set against the offender as being ravenous hounds bearing their teeth. Not the kind of picture one should have when thinking of a righteous and just judge of another person.

Humans would sentence a man to die behind bars, make his life miserable, and if he tries to commit suicide, they will go out of their way to frustrate his efforts in an attempt to prolong his miserable life of suffering. This is what prisons do to their prisoners. It is a spirit like this that makes people discontent with a man like Milosevic's death, when his death in the end of his terror.

Justice is not about creating suffering in one man to balance out the suffering he caused to others. Two wrongs don't make a right. The fact that I live in a world where I am surrounded by people who think like this gives me shivers. It makes me realize the glaring evil that goes up the chain of "authority." Knowing things like this make me reluctant to have anything to do with most other people.

Why do I seem to be the only one interested in fixing problems rather than kicking a fallen horse?

Darth Marsden
03-13-2006, 04:26 AM
You're not. He's dead - we should be celebrating, not cursing the fact that we can't poke him with hot needles. Then again, a couple of thousand years ago, we were savages who had to kill to survive. I guess sometimes those roots show through.

goKi
03-13-2006, 04:52 AM
The only benefit of him living until the end of his trial was if he was punished heavily, like he probably would have been, there would have been a very big precedent set for future leaders who partake in war crimes.

AlexMax
03-13-2006, 06:36 AM
Knowing things like this make me reluctant to have anything to do with most other people.

And the rest of us get along with other people, in spite of their flaws.

Nobody can possibly live up to your, my or anyone elses shining example of a moral, just person. Just figure out people with whom you get along with (You will know you've found these people when you can respectfully agree to disagree), and get on with your life.

ShadowTiger
03-13-2006, 10:05 AM
I heard this morning that Slobo had been taking drugs to counter the drugs he had been taking, which had nulled their effects, and had causes his blood pressure to exceed nominal values. It was an attempt at suicide, and he succeeded. So much for a "natural" death.

Aegix Drakan
03-13-2006, 10:12 AM
:rolleyes: I don't see why peopole are so outraged at him dying of a heart attack. As glenn said, he's DEAD, problem solved! they were probably going to kill him anyway, so nature just went ahead and did it for them!

It makes as much sense as this little true story: a man was going to get the lethal injection at midnight, so he poisoned himself. They rushed him to the hospital, pumped his stomach, and saved his life. then, they brought him back to jail, and poisoned him to death. WTF!

This world is f-ed up, but hey, we gotta live with it!

elise
03-13-2006, 10:59 AM
It's important for relatives of the people that died by his action that he got punnished , now they can even give him a state funeral .
It's like theire lost family died and nobody is responsible for it .

Lilith
03-13-2006, 11:27 AM
And the rest of us get along with other people, in spite of their flaws.

No we don't, mang.

Glenn the Great
03-13-2006, 02:33 PM
It's important for relatives of the people that died by his action that he got punnished , now they can even give him a state funeral .
It's like theire lost family died and nobody is responsible for it .

Just because you lost family to the offender still doesn't give you any right to desire that kind of "punishment." Funerals are meaningless. It makes no difference to me if people want to just throw me in the bushes when I die. Funerals are a waste of money. Anyone who thinks differently is probably struggling with some kind of sentimentality. I believe in being free of sentiment. That's the next step in becoming an intelligent individual after breaking free of superstition.

Slobo's responsibility was realized when he got dragged out of his building and was put into a jail cell where he did indeed die. There is nothing more you could reasonably desire.

ZTC
03-13-2006, 03:32 PM
He's dead and he's been judged accordingling. Most likely, he's burning in Hell.

mikeron
03-13-2006, 04:26 PM
He should be given a huge burial plot in a park or something. That way, when half of Eastern Europe takes a dump on his grave, you won't have to worry about spillover.

Link
03-18-2006, 03:41 PM
He's still popular amongst many Serbians, you know - they see him as a 'hero'.

(EDIT) Don't get me wrong, I'm not justifying what he's done.