PDA

View Full Version : Beta 10 progress

jman2050
03-10-2006, 08:45 PM
ZC Beta 10 list

1. Fixed the bug where the buttons to choose green square warp points and flags in the ZQ panels was misaligned.
2. Finally fixed the bug where garbage combos would appear when reloading certain quests after reloading other quests.
3. Fixed the bug where the subscreen type wouldn't update itself if you died and continued in a different dmap type.
4. Fixed the bug where, when checking if the green square continue point was 0,0, it was using the screen you were warping from instead of the screen you are warping to.
5. Fixed the bug where the whistle warp edit dialog and the warp ring edit dialog would crash ZQuest.
6. Slow walk combos now affect Link again.
7. New quest rule: Scrolling Warps Don't Continue. Scrolling warps across different dmaps no longer set the continue point. WIll be turned on for all quests below version 1.93b3 by default.
8. Fixed another bug that caused flags 16-31 as inherent flags to show up improperly.
9. Fixed the bug in ZQ where it would sometimes hand before the menu is drawn
10. Fixed the bug where bombable doors could be bombed open on cave dmaps.
11. Two new screen flags: Treat as Cave room, and Treat as dungeon room. Makes the current room behave as such, regardless of whether the dmap is a dungeon or not. So you could, for example, have a room with shutters inside a cave dmap, and a room with permanent secrets in a dungeon dmap.
12. Two new flags: Singular and Singular +16-31. An interesting flag. If it is in the same spot (remember, there can be two flags in one spot now because of inherent flags) as one of the trigger flags (strike, burn, bomb, etc.), then the trigger doesn't affect all secret flags on screen like the normal behavior, only the flag hit. SIngular(+16-31) does the same thing, except triggering it also affects flags 16-31. Thus, it's now possible to do things like having four seperate torches that can be lit in any order.
13. Fixed the bug that would prevent the sword and hammer from triggering their corresponding inherent trigger flags
14. Fixed the bug where you couldn't use the ladder over direct warps B-R, swim warps B-D, and dive warps B-D.
15. Fixed the bug that would prevent Link from starting the hookshot over a hookshot only combo
16. Fixed a bug that would cause enemies to spawn and walk on top of Direct warps B-R.
17. Fixed the bug where the game wouldn't recognize Swim Warps B-D and Dive warps B-D as water.
18. Fixed the bug in Z3-movement where if you had the ladder and flippers in a dungeon dmap or 'use ladder' room, the ladder would appear before you get to enter the water.
19. Octorok 3's no longer show up in the enemy selection list (until they are finished).
20. Boulders now use the correct tiles.
21. Fire enemies now animate at the correct speed.
22. Fixed the bug with Ganon initially being drawn with tile 0, 1, 20, and 21.
23. Ganon can now use the new enemy tiles (not complete use, though).
24. Hit detection on Dodongos is now fixed.
25. Dodongos no longer fly left when killed.
26. Level-specific keys: Keys can now be kept track of on a level-by-level basis (keep in mind, not a dmap by dmap basis). The normal key item operates exactly like it has operated. A new item, "Level-specific key" increases the key amount of the current level number you're in. Key doors will by default look for a key gained in that level. If it finds noen, it'll then look for a normal key to use. Useful for keys that you only want to work in a specific dungeon.

Sir_Johnamus
03-10-2006, 09:18 PM
Good job jman.
I have been waiting for the level specific keys!

Sephiroth
03-10-2006, 09:18 PM
ZOMG. Level-Specific Keys.. Way to Go Jman! :D

Tygore
03-10-2006, 09:20 PM
Can we look forward to level-specific doors as well as keys? Also, how will the Magic Key affect this?

firefly
03-10-2006, 09:21 PM
2. Finally fixed the bug where garbage combos would appear when reloading certain quests after reloading other quests.

12. Two new flags: Singular and Singular +16-31. An interesting flag. If it is in the same spot (remember, there can be two flags in one spot now because of inherent flags) as one of the trigger flags (strike, burn, bomb, etc.), then the trigger doesn't affect all secret flags on screen like the normal behavior, only the flag hit. SIngular(+16-31) does the same thing, except triggering it also affects flags 16-31. Thus, it's now possible to do things like having four seperate torches that can be lit in any order.

Ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. In reprehenderit in voluptate duis aute irure dolor eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Cupidatat non proident, lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit. Ullamco laboris nisi qui officia deserunt in reprehenderit in voluptate. Ut enim ad minim veniam, excepteur sint occaecat sunt in culpa.
THIS IS GREAT! :bouncy:

§

jman2050
03-10-2006, 09:23 PM
level-specific doors are defaulted. As it states, a key door (or lock block for that matter) looks for a level-specific key first. If it doesn't find one, it then looks for a normal key. If it doesn't find one, the door doesn't open. Want level-specific doors? don't give out normal keys!

Tygore
03-10-2006, 09:26 PM
So, what about a level-specific Magic Key? Or would that be too complicated?

Nicholas Steel
03-10-2006, 09:35 PM
awesome and the boss key can be used as a level-specific magic key.

Tygore
03-10-2006, 09:42 PM
awesome and the boss key can be used as a level-specific magic key.

No it can't. At least not currently. Unless I missed something, the Boss Key only works on Boss Key doors, not normal locked doors.

jman2050
03-10-2006, 10:10 PM
The magic key, as always, opens all doors. Period.

Jigglysaint
03-10-2006, 10:19 PM
But with this, you can now have disposable magic keys. See, since regular keys open all doors, they can be used anywhere, just only once.

The magic key itself may become unused, or just put it at the end of the game where it belongs anyway.

Just a question though: Are level specific keys going to have a seperate counter, or will it just be added to the key pool? Maybe a quest rule could trigger the special key type, or a rule to disable normal or special key status on the top screen.

Petoe
03-10-2006, 10:19 PM
ZC Beta 10 list

7. New quest rule: Scrolling Warps Don't Continue. Scrolling warps across different dmaps no longer set the continue point. WIll be turned on for all quests below version 1.93b3 by default.

Whee! I'm delighted by this rule!
And not forgetting the level specific keys and the new flags... hot damn, I can't believe how much ZC has improved during these few months. It's amazing. I'm at a loss of words really.

jman2050
03-10-2006, 10:21 PM
Right now, the counters display both keys added up together. It's the easiest implementation. Maybe an option can be made to show them seperately in the future...

Nicholas Steel
03-10-2006, 10:31 PM
in zquest in 2.11b9b what happend to the blue square for uh the return thingy... next to the green square... push page down to get to where im talking... im unsure if this is to do with something moving or not... im in windows xp home.

im aware this is the wrong place for such a post.

jman2050
03-10-2006, 10:43 PM
all the return points have been moved to their own panel. Press pg down a few more times to get to it.

Nicholas Steel
03-10-2006, 11:03 PM
ah ok thanks... is the one labeled "a" the one i should use if not using multiwarps?

Freedom
03-10-2006, 11:55 PM
ah ok thanks... is the one labeled "a" the one i should use if not using multiwarps?

yes

Nicholas Steel
03-11-2006, 12:02 AM
thanks... now people can go back to talking about what this thread was for.

xXVolvagiaXx
03-11-2006, 12:08 AM
All I can say at the moment is: Holy CRAP you guys are kickin' the crap outa this thing right now. And: When do think you'd expect a release of the next beta? :clap: :shrug: Again, excelentio!

firefly
03-11-2006, 12:15 AM
Knowing Jman2050, it will be released in a few days. ;)

xXVolvagiaXx
03-11-2006, 12:37 AM
I posted this REALLY good idea that I thought Jman2050 check out in the ZC Suggestion forums. Really awsome idea I think some people should check out... does he ever check there often?:confused:

Nicholas Steel
03-11-2006, 12:51 AM
he does... if you havnt noticed hes been adding some features from there. just because he doesnt reply much doesnt me he doesnt take a look at suggestions.

idontknow
03-11-2006, 01:17 AM
AMAZING! But what about being able to string together timed warps on different strings? *COUGH*COUGH*

Cloral
03-11-2006, 02:58 AM
Right now, the counters display both keys added up together. It's the easiest implementation. Maybe an option can be made to show them seperately in the future...
I say keep it that way. I doubt people will mix the 2 types very much, so I don't think there's much need for an additional key counter.
How about a quest rule to hide the key counter on level 0? This would mimic LttP's behavior where you don't see the key counter when you're not in a level, since there aren't any keys to get out there.

Freedom
03-11-2006, 03:06 AM
I use keys "out there" all the time ;)

idontknow
03-11-2006, 03:36 AM
Suggestions:

1) A quest rule like recommened above to hide the key counter on overworlds or level 0.

2) A screen flag that makes it so that when you warp from that room, the small & large subscreen maps do not change (and so Link's square doesn't move) This could be good to fake certain events where the coordinates aren't exactly aligned and you dont want it to make it ovious that you warped.

3) A screen flag that makes step combos non-sensative (so you must be completely on them for them to change)

4) A quest rule or screen flag that allows you to use certain weapons while on the raft (even though you move automatically on the raft) Weapons you can use: boomerang, hookshot, wand, and arrows. This allows you to hit a trigger from a distance while on the raft as you pass it, perhaps changing the course of the raft or making some other secret.

5) A flag that makes you warp when you hit it while on the raft (like being sucked into a vortex or something) Or this could be a combo or screen flag that allows warps to be triggered when you are on the raft & hit a warp combo.

6) Shop names: Simply a text box in the 'misc->shop type" menu after clicking on a shop number. For example, in shop '0', you could name it "Arrow Ammunition" so that you know that that's what's in the shop.

7) A way to string together timed warp tics for multiple screens so that when you are on the same dmap for at least x number of tics, even after moving among different screens, you will warp if the timed warp tics are set for that screen. Perhaps a screen flag called "Timed Warp Tics Don't Reset Off Screen" (kind of a mouth full though) or Perhaps "Never Reset Tics".

8) When you press the 'F' key to show flags, it should first show all inherent flags only..press it again to show inherent plags but also any 'standard' flags, even those that are placed over inherent flags. Additionally, it should show the flag over the combo in the combo page (should also work when you go to quest->graphics->combos)

Nicholas Steel
03-11-2006, 04:04 AM
when in dungeon, key counter changes colour, changes to represent that dungeon specific key has priority when in dungeon, when out of dungeon specific keys it changes back to normal colour.

Freedom
03-11-2006, 06:24 AM
5) A flag that makes you warp when you hit it while on the raft (like being sucked into a vortex or something) Or this could be a combo or screen flag that allows warps to be triggered when you are on the raft & hit a warp combo.

Did it stop working?
I've set warps in-line a lot of times and had link warp over water falls and such while he was riding the raft.
Always worked perfectly for me.

Rakki
03-11-2006, 06:31 AM
Suggestions:
8) When you press the 'F' key to show flags, it should first show all inherent flags only..press it again to show inherent plags but also any 'standard' flags, even those that are placed over inherent flags. Additionally, it should show the flag over the combo in the combo page (should also work when you go to quest->graphics->combos)
I made screenshots of this in the Beta 9 Suggestion thread if you need a visual idea of this, jman. :p Also, I just had another thought. What if combos that had inherent flags on them showed the inherent flag number/color over the bottom half of the tile on the screen, so that if we had a regular flag on the same space, we could see BOTH types of flags instead of just the flag placed on the screen?

Anywho, Beta 10 sounds awesome, as usual, jman. Level-specific keys is something I was hoping for in the next beta! ^_^

Freedom
03-11-2006, 12:43 PM
I'd like to see a cset indicator added on the layer page, right now it's on the same page that shows the quest name, and you have to keep scrolling back and forth between that and layers to see what cset you are working in as you paint screens.

Jigglysaint
03-11-2006, 01:43 PM
My idea for an additional key counter would be good if you wanted to make it so that each level always has one locked door left, and the only way to unlock it is to find special keys hidden arround in the quest, then come back and find a special treasure. Before you couldn't do that as any key would unlock any door. With this, you could do some interesting side quests, like say Gold Skulltas or somthing. It would be simple, one token = one upgrade, and you could have a house with 8 people that when you touch them with a token, they transform and give you a powerup. This could in some way also replace bait, plus it's stackable too(which bait is not). Think about this, don't just throw it away.

Dark Spawn
03-11-2006, 03:01 PM
How about also adding some more updates to the classic subscreen and BS-subscreen being compatible with "True Arrows". Also how close are you to the Roc's Feather becoming a item?

Cloral
03-11-2006, 05:02 PM
That's why it would be a quest rule. ;)

edit:
Doh didn't see there was a second page.

xXVolvagiaXx
03-11-2006, 06:29 PM
Roc's feather would be a nice additional item...btw, has anybody seen my "!Instant Idea!" post on the suggestions? I would post it here with everyone else's, but I'm too lazy, but yeah...I thought it was a really good idea...

cbailey78
03-11-2006, 06:40 PM
I wish there was a sidescrolling just like in Gameboy Zelda's and Zelda 2! Just add the gravity combo and a screen flag that would link the screen to another for a free scrolling effect.

ShadowTiger
03-11-2006, 09:55 PM
So, jman, ... was this that "It's a secret to everybody" change you were planning? :-p ... ... Somehow I doubt it. Level Specific keys are one of those "Major Changes" that people have been looking forward to for a long time. Major Kudos to you. ;)

You know, this is somewhat related to events. What you recieve on one screen affects your progress on another. You can now have individual locks and keys! But you wouldn't really know which key that you have belongs to what lock after you get it. No way to know how. But you CAN draw the graphic of the key, walk onto a warp that shows a bunch of combos (The image.) of you picking up a unique-looking key, while it secretly drops a normal level-specific key into your pack. Cute. The lock would obviously have a similar pattern.

Nimono
03-11-2006, 10:01 PM
OH MAN! I already like the part about Level-specific keys! I can't wait! And the best part is that you just let me FINALLY make a tower that you can melt and get into with the Singular flags! I CAN'T WAIT! Think about it: With those flags, you can make a whole area that you can do many things to, like my idea says! Soon, I will annoy people with the HEART CONTAINER OF DOOM!!!! Ha ha! All I must do is wait for 2.11b10, and I can make a melting tower that can be accessed by shooting an arrow at it! Of course, I'll need to find a way to get rid of the arrow flag... Maybe a new screen flag is in order: "Flags disappear when tile is gone". The flag would get rid of ANY flag that is set on a tile when that tile is changed by the effect of another flag.

Nicholas Steel
03-11-2006, 10:19 PM
use my suggestion on level specific keys and make it the quest maker can specify what colour to make it appear on the subscreen on a per level per colour basis.

ShadowTiger
03-11-2006, 10:21 PM
use my suggestion on level specific keys and make it the quest maker can specify what colour to make it appear on the subscreen on a per level per colour basis.
You can actually do that now, if you're clever. (Or if you can stand working with abnormal locks.)

All you need to do is make your Level-Specific Keys a sprite in Cset 9, which is level-dependant. You'll probably want to do the same to your doors, but those will more than likely come with the Palette of the dungeon. As for the keys, you'll probably just want to make a stripe of color, or a gem in the head of the key, which will change colors depending on the Palette. The rest could stay nice and gold. ;-p

Nicholas Steel
03-11-2006, 10:27 PM
well if it can be done then thats awesome... thanks for letting me know that bh4.

*b*
03-11-2006, 11:27 PM
how about fix Link's Z3 animation to make him use 2x2 tiles, instead of... however many pixels it currently is. and an option to slow down his animation. the Link I drew looks really stupid running so fast

and the dungeon specific keys is excellent. I can't wait to use that. an option to show only the keys obtained for that dungeon would be nice. though, how do you define which keys are used for which DMap?

Nicholas Steel
03-11-2006, 11:36 PM
2x2 tiles are/have being/been implemented.

*b*
03-11-2006, 11:40 PM
not in beta nine, it isn't. I just played my test quest today, and I still had to set it up like normal

jman2050
03-11-2006, 11:45 PM
Define which keys are used for this dungeon? Level numbers.

Getting a level-specific key increases the key count of the current level number you're in.

Nicholas Steel
03-12-2006, 12:34 AM
it would still be nice to know whether or not you still have level specific keys for a particular dungeon via changeing the key counters colour or something. because picking up a key thats diff from the rest will still appear as a normal one once picked up... we need a constant visual aid.

ShadowTiger
03-12-2006, 12:50 AM
Well, what I'm hoping happens, is that the number of keys that you appear to be carrying will be altered based on what level you're in. If you have 2 keys from Level 1, and 3 in level 2, and two normal keys from the overworld, you'd have 4 keys in L1, and 5 in L2. Etc. ... Rather than like, ... 7, with which only 5 would work in L3, etc.

Nicholas Steel
03-12-2006, 01:08 AM
yes... i am very happy that such a feature is impented... im just saying ways to improve it.

*b*
03-12-2006, 02:41 AM
Define which keys are used for this dungeon? Level numbers.

Getting a level-specific key increases the key count of the current level number you're in.
so, if you pick up a key in say, level six, the key will be "tagged", and it won't appear in the subscreen in like, level four?

also, how about an option for DMaps to display the key counter, instead of a quest rule? there are some dungeons in my quest that don't require keys

jman2050
03-12-2006, 10:01 AM
YEs, the key counter is altered depending on the leve you're in. If you have 2 keys in level 2, it'll show 2 keys. If you have none in level , it'll show none.

xXVolvagiaXx
03-12-2006, 01:03 PM
Thats pretty awsome, cus now you can't accidentally use an important key in the wrong place, and get stuck and possibly have to start over.

Dlbrooks33
03-12-2006, 04:12 PM
Wow, this game has changed over the weekend while i was gone, good work. You know, I think we should have a day to celebrate the developers, say March 14 every year?

Nimono
03-12-2006, 04:31 PM
Hey, I have a suggestion for the beta: Can you make more enemies for the water? I know that more recent games (like the Oracles games) have an enemy known as "Cheep-Cheep" or "Fish" that appears underwater in side-scrolling swimming areas. Could you add this kind of enemy in? Having only Zoras in the water doesn't seem right.

xXVolvagiaXx
03-13-2006, 07:04 PM
Those fish were the anoying things that jumped from shallow water right? Those would be really fun to have, making shallow water just as dangerous as the deep.:) And if side scrolling dive screens were made, you could have those fish too!:D

Nimono
03-14-2006, 08:37 PM
Those fish were the anoying things that jumped from shallow water right? Those would be really fun to have, making shallow water just as dangerous as the deep.:) And if side scrolling dive screens were made, you could have those fish too!:D
No, I was talking about the fish that appeared only in side-view areas.

Dark Knight
03-15-2006, 05:09 AM
7) A way to string together timed warp tics for multiple screens so that when you are on the same dmap for at least x number of tics, even after moving among different screens, you will warp if the timed warp tics are set for that screen. Perhaps a screen flag called "Timed Warp Tics Don't Reset Off Screen" (kind of a mouth full though) or Perhaps "Never Reset Tics".

If this gets implemented...that...would just rock. It'd allow the creation of a Day/Night system better then what we can currently do. Multi-screen timed puzzles/mazes/etc would also be possible.

Praethus
03-15-2006, 12:20 PM
Perhaps it could be a screenflag called "Timed Warps Carry Over". If this flag is checked, the remaining timed warp tics from the previous screen will be used for this screen instead of the specified amount. If the previous screen did not have timed warp tics, the current screen would default to what is entered.

Orion
03-15-2006, 02:05 PM
If this gets implemented...that...would just rock. It'd allow the creation of a Day/Night system better then what we can currently do. Multi-screen timed puzzles/mazes/etc would also be possible.

You'd still need to account for things like bombed caves that have already been opened and other flags that have been triggered. I wonder if a revamped pallette cycling system would work better.

xXVolvagiaXx
03-15-2006, 11:12 PM
Or, just a complete day/night Rule, and Pallettes to match each time period in the day. That would add alot of detail and awsomeness to my quest...

ShadowTiger
03-16-2006, 12:19 AM
You'd still need to account for things like bombed caves that have already been opened and other flags that have been triggered. I wonder if a revamped pallette cycling system would work better.
Eh, ... I'm very glad you thought of this Orion, but we also have to thank jman for his addition where one screen can be referred to another. In the third tab of the Screen Flag's dialog, you can set the equivalent screen to be its "Next" screen. Thus, the two screens are tied to each other. Trigger a secret in one, and it triggers the secret in another. :p

ZTC
03-16-2006, 12:50 PM
I wish there was a sidescrolling just like in Gameboy Zelda's and Zelda 2! Just add the gravity combo and a screen flag that would link the screen to another for a free scrolling effect.
sure, there isn't a "gravity" combo (yet), but it's still possible to do sidescrolling. (as I've done with a few unfinished quests, and in one or two quest demos from a few years back). Just look at how the dungeon item room is set up, and start from there. (it's not the same as LA, but it's still something) :sweat: