PDA

View Full Version : Two Questions: Game Title and Game Scenes

LinkvsSora101
03-06-2006, 09:14 PM
Ive seen screenshots of people's quests. They've got their own title! Such as "Metroid: Flashback Press Down" I've always wondered, how do you do that? Also, the other question, how do you get those weird game scenes? Such as "Castle Haunt II" It has the zombie and the skeleton, all with text by them. How do you do that!? Answer ASAP

Nimono
03-06-2006, 09:19 PM
Ive seen screenshots of people's quests. They've got their own title! Such as "Metroid: Flashback Press Down" I've always wondered, how do you do that? Also, the other question, how do you get those weird game scenes? Such as "Castle Haunt II" It has the zombie and the skeleton, all with text by them. How do you do that!? Answer ASAP
You can make them yourself. You can make them just like you make cutscenes: With tiles. Just draw the tiles you want! In fact, I'm going to make a title for my Kirby quest once I get done with the adventuring part. After that, all that's left is making each tile look as good as possible and making the title.

firefly
03-06-2006, 09:22 PM
Ummm... I think he's talking about quest titles and cutscenes.

Nimono
03-06-2006, 09:28 PM
Ummm... I think he's talking about quest titles and cutscenes.
I know that. I KNOW how to make these things (I'm a fast learner, but that doesn't mean I want to!), but the fact that I'm no good at drawing by hand complicates things.

firefly
03-06-2006, 10:00 PM
Starting screens:

Make the screen.
(click to enlarge)
http://img414.imageshack.us/img414/1508/zelda0191wj.th.png (http://img414.imageshack.us/my.php?image=zelda0191wj.png)
Have a DMap for this screen, with it's own midi and all.
In init. Data, set the Starting Dmap as the DMap you use for the Starting screen (For example, if you used DMap 0 then select 0 as the starting DMap)
Place Link (blue and green square) at the bottom of the screen.
Select "Invisible Link" and "No subscreen" in the screen flags (F9)
Open the Side Warps and select the one you want to be warped to (for example, if you want to appear at screen 69 when you push down, select screen 69 in the side warp), and click on Triggers, <down>

Sorry if I was too confusing.
And tell me if this doesn't works.
I'm tired...

ß

LinkvsSora101
03-06-2006, 11:32 PM
isnt that kinda hard? drawing tiles from complete scratch? besides, its still kinda confusing, can you explain in an easier way?

LinkvsSora101
03-06-2006, 11:37 PM
Besides, the Castle Haunt II cutscenes had perfect skeletons and zombies, and all that stuff, your honestly saying the creator did that by hand?

firefly
03-06-2006, 11:58 PM
Besides, the Castle Haunt II cutscenes had perfect skeletons and zombies, and all that stuff, your honestly saying the creator did that by hand?

Probably they were ripped.
Most tilesets already have a starting screen, such as Pure, I used the one that came up with the tileset. :p

Yeah, is kinda hard, does anyone know about a tutorial about starting screens?

I love weird symbols!
µ

LinkvsSora101
03-07-2006, 12:26 AM
Okay, i kinda get the Starting Screen, but how do you make cutscenes?

LinkvsSora101
03-07-2006, 12:46 AM
Wait, so to make a starting screen, you make your own dmap, put invisible Link, and design the start from scratch, then make a button to press to warp, then insert the screen in which you want to appear, then set the green and blue tiles, ok. Kinda hard...any way to import them in, you know, like in a copy and paste kinda way? :shrug:

alfinchkid
03-07-2006, 09:49 AM
To do cutscenes, you need at least one, possibly 2 maps. And depending on length, you're prolly gonna use the WHOLE map. I've done this in a tester file, because I don't want one in my game yet, but trust me. Anyway, draw all the different maps for your cutscene (and make sure if you want movement, don't make it jerky, make it look natural [yes, you may have to use tile editor, but I had to for may second game for my new Link] and therefore walking tiles, and such), assign the strings you want, . Now, set the warp in the room you want to initiate the cutscene in. Perferrably use a direct warp, but if you want the cutscene to happen as soon as you come in, side warp from the last screen. Or make the first part of the cutscene on this screen. Anyway, set up a series of timed/direct warps to take you to each different screen in the cutscene.

Yes, I know it's a long and hard process, I'm not doing cutscenes in my games until at least the third game in my series (but for what i want to base it on, that will be manditory that I do).

Bull Bizard
03-07-2006, 10:26 AM
About Game title, I want to know if there is a way to change the "Zelda Classic" (or Official Zelda 1) title screen. The one before the 3 slots.
I mean, if you make a game not relative to zelda, it's not fun if the title screen says "Zelda"...

Sir_Johnamus
03-07-2006, 01:57 PM
Many people have wanted the same thing.

I am on my way to making a Press Start Title Screen!

Limzo
03-11-2006, 10:50 AM
How will you make a Press start screen. Everyone knows that pressing start in Zelda Classic makes the Subscreen pop up, and title screens do not even have a subscreen. You must be mental! :rofl:

firefly
03-11-2006, 12:13 PM
The answer: 2.11

Limzo
03-11-2006, 02:56 PM
Firefly, please explain. Your subtleness baffles me! You must be mental! :rofl: