PDA

View Full Version : question to Jman about links size

Freedom
03-06-2006, 08:11 PM
Jman,
You mentioned expanding link's size to 32x32 a while back didn't you?
I was wanting to make sure about this and see if I could get an idea of when you were planning this before editing my Minish Cap Link (big Link) tiles.
Editing them to cram them into a 16 pixil width would cut down on their quality, and if you intend to change this soon, I'd rather wait for that.

Side Note;
If anyone else is interested in these Link sprites, they're in the adventure tileset and their palettes are placed in level palette 23.

EDIT;
Another question, In most tilesets the east and west doors are set to the upper half unwalkable, but big Link won't go through them.
Do the door combos need to be changed, or will Link be changed to work with them?
EDIT, I realized it was the "large hitbox" causing this, what exactly does that do?

Also, When Big Link holds an item up, it's behind him.

jman2050
03-06-2006, 11:33 PM
Good questions

1. I was planning on doing that soon. Right now I'm focusing on one particular project and on fixing some of the more alarming bugs, but in due time Link will get the overhaul he needs.

2. Yes, you need to change them, as well as most doors, for the large link hitbox. Basically, to explain that, only a 16x8 area of Link (the bottom half of his tile) is actually part of his collision. The large hitbox, which was designed with big link in mind, expands the collision box to 16x16. This changes the way you have to design your quest, which is why it's an option in the first place.

3. As for the item behind Link, thanks for telling that. That should be fixed shortly.

Freedom
03-06-2006, 11:41 PM
Thanks for the quick response.
I've just started really working with the big link, and have implemented him fully into my quest, and started testing him out, so I may have more questions since I'm not 100% sure how you intended it all to work.
So far He seems to be working pretty well.

I seem to be having a problem with advancing Link to the next shield, I can set the tile mod number in the shield item window and they advance him to that shield, but then the sideways walking sprites are wrong.
Any getting around this right now?

EDIT;
There is a slight problem with the way Big Link warps compared to normal Link.
If you have a screen where Big Link walks up to a person to be warped to an identical screen for dialog and you place the warp tile right in front of the person on screen one and then place the warp tile on screen 2 on the next tile over for the return warp as he turns to walk away, then he triggers himself back to the dialog screen when he lands back on screen one.
(even though he isn't touching the warp tile)
This can be gotten around by making sure you design your screen to allow a space in between the two, but I thought it should be pointed out.

Freedom
03-12-2006, 01:06 PM
Couple more questions to Jman

Is there any way to adjust what colors Link flashes to when the clock is applied?

I have Big Link all set up and working pretty well, but noticed in "rules" last night that full link tile mods is not checked, what exactly does that do, since he seems to work perfectly without it at this point.

jman2050
03-12-2006, 04:13 PM
full link tile mods means that the link tile mod defined for an item will offset all of Link's sprites by that amount. Basically, LTMs are a value for an item. If you have this item, the amount is added to the tile value you initially defined for Link. This is so you can change Link's appearance based on whatever item you have.

As for Link flashing, sorry, nothing to be done about that right now.

Freedom
03-12-2006, 04:35 PM
You mean then the items other than the shield, since that's working.
I knew what it basically was.
Thanks Jman.