PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Discovery! (Triggering seperate flags)

idontknow
03-04-2006, 04:06 PM
I discovered a way to trigger flags seperately and in any order so that something else occurs! This uses incredibly fast combo cycling and inherent flags.

If you want 4 torches that you can burn in any order:
1) Make 4 seperate combos, each of an identical tile of an unlit torch.
2) Make the first one have an inherent flag of #4 Burn (Any). All the others have no inherent flags.
3) Make the 1st cycle to the 2nd, the 2nd cycle to the 3rd, the 3rd to the 4th, and the 4th back to the 1st (a loop)
4) Leave the a. frames & a. speed at 0 (Can you start to see where i'm going with this? ;) )
5) Place 1 copy of each of the 4 seemingly identical torches on the screen. Then make sure to set the secret combo of 'Burn (Any)'
6) Now, if you want a door to open after all 4 torches are lit, place flag 16 on the door. Make secret combos of flags 16, 17, & 18 all identical to the original door (closed). Make secret combo 19 the open door.
7) Ctrl + click on flag 16 and set its secondary flag to flag 17. Do the same for flag 17 but set its secondary flag 18, and then 18's is set to 19.

It takes some experimentation, but basically the way inherent flags work is that they all activate at the same time, when they are ON SCREEN AT THE SAME TIME. In other words, if you have a burn flag that is triggered, it will activate but if a flag cycles to a burn flag after the first flag is triggered, then it will not have been triggered yet. This is the key to how 'seperate' triggers will function, not having them on screen at the exact same time.

jman2050
03-04-2006, 04:14 PM
Excellence. Pure excellence.

Mr. Z
03-04-2006, 04:28 PM
I tried it, but there was only a 1 in 4 chance the torches actually lit up after being burned. Even with a combocycle that fast, a burn will only activate a secret for 1 tic.
It might work better with arrows though, since those have a traveling time. Same goes for the Wand and Boomerang.
This might work with lockblocks too...
Edit: But those only remember one lock when leaving the screen.

Shoelace
03-04-2006, 04:47 PM
That's pretty cool! I haven't tested it out as I am busy at the moment but it would probably work better if you lower the number that the cycles have to go through. But either way, just awesome. :P

jman2050
03-04-2006, 04:58 PM
Though it won't work for torches (unless I make a small change and quest rule...) it seems to work well enough for the boomerang and arrows and the like. This is a very good discovery, and will work wonders for puzzles if the same concept can be utilized for more creative purposes :)

Mr. Z
03-04-2006, 05:03 PM
I've been trying it out with a few more combo types.
But for "Step > Next" it does the same as the candle does now: There's only a chance that it will register as "stepped on"
And sensitive triggers don't work either because they're so sensitive, they register at least 3 hits when you step on them o_O

idontknow
03-04-2006, 07:35 PM
Hmm...well for the candle, maybe a quest rule that makes all burn flags triggered immediately when the flame hits the burn flag. The way it seems to work now is that the flag is triggered THE EXACT moment (like a tic, perhaps even less than a tic) that the flame DIES OUT. A quest rule could make the entire duration of the flame act like a trigger. Kinda hard to explain. Anyone understand?

If such a quest rule was enabled, then perhaps that the triggering that a weapon does would trigger flags as they cycle on screen where the weapon is. This could perhaps apply to all weapon triggers.

Or...more easily, a quest rule that simply makes all inherent flags be triggered independently while all 'other' flags (that you place using the 'Tools->Flags' menu) would trigger together, or as inherent flags are triggered. This would allow for groups of things to be burned (using the 'other' flags) and also allow for torches to be lit seperately (using inherent flags)

Jigglysaint
03-05-2006, 12:27 AM
http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?t=90381

I made a thread for discoveries in it, or do people hate me enough now to ignore them?