PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Beta 9

firefly
03-03-2006, 08:16 PM
OK, here's my suggestion:

http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/2107/inherentflags1pv.png
(mockup)
Look at the "FLAG:" label at the bottom menu, it's under the "FILE:" label, it shows the Inherent flag that the combo has.
This could be helpful in my opinion.

If anyone have more suggestions, post 'em here. ;)

Rakki
03-03-2006, 11:33 PM
Here's a simple suggestion that could save ALL of us some headaches, while trying to explain things to newbies.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/Rakki/ZC/tilewarps.png

Instead of having "X" on all four tile warps, why not have A, B, C and D on them? :p Makes it MUCH less confusing for newbies.

Also, I thought the point of Inherent Flags was to make it so we could place 2 flags on one space? If Inherent Flags are simply going to place the flag on their space for us, rather than having the flag data embedded in them, then what's the point? I'm suggesting that Inherent Flags be upgraded to make it possible to place two flags on a single space (one Inherent, one on-screen).

KJAZZ
03-04-2006, 02:41 AM
I wholeheartedly agree with both of these suggstions. Nice mockups, too. I think that's exactly how they both should look.

idontknow
03-04-2006, 06:28 AM
A new option in the dmap editor that allows you to assign dmaps all-new "dmap flags" that allow special optons that apply to an entire dmap, rather than to a specific screen. Examples are:

1) Permenant Secrets: A checkbox that, if checked, makes all secrets activated on that screen flag permenantly. On old quests, all overworld dmap types have this checked by default and all dungeons have this unchecked. But in new quests, this is independent of the dmap type and can be its own option.

2) linked timers: A checkbox that, if checked, makes it so that that all timers on each screen of the dmap will run even when link is off screen, therefore 'linking' them. This allows you to have a dmap where you set a timed dmap tic for every screen to be for 60 seconds. Then, when you are on that dmap for 60 seconds, even after crossing screens, you will warp to the timed warp. In other words, this option allows for timed warp tics to not reset when moving from screen to screen.

3) Link Cset Mod: A box where you enter in a variable and it changes Link's cset. So, if you want to make the effect that Link is red in a volcanic area or make link's cset darker as if he's in a dark forest or in a night overworld, you can have a dmap modify his cset.

A mock-up of this may be coming soon...

Rakki
03-04-2006, 06:34 AM
A mock-up of this may be coming soon...
Woohoo! I might have influenced some people to start making mockups with their suggestions cause of my recent suggestions! :p

Oh, and the only thing I'd change in your mockup, firefly, is the position of the combo and flag things. I'd just swap them around, so combo is above flag (like it is in the combo editor window).

Shoelace
03-04-2006, 06:35 AM
Also, I thought the point of Inherent Flags was to make it so we could place 2 flags on one space? If Inherent Flags are simply going to place the flag on their space for us, rather than having the flag data embedded in them, then what's the point? I'm suggesting that Inherent Flags be upgraded to make it possible to place two flags on a single space (one Inherent, one on-screen).

I think the point of the Inherent Flags is that you can cycle them with combo cycles. I think that is the main adventage of the inherent flags. But I argee that would be awesome if two flags could be placed on a single space.

Mr. Z
03-04-2006, 08:41 AM
-Press A to warp.
Perhaps make it a combo that warps you away when you stand on it and press A, like the Save combo does.

-Full "Step > Next"
If you walk over the top of it, it doesn't change to the next combo. This one will.
Would be better as a screenflag or rule instead of 4 new combos though.

-Pushing blocks on layers
This was they won't leave an undercombo on layer 0, but on layer 1 or 2 instead.
Block puzzles are still pretty limited because of the undercombo pushed blocks leave.

jman2050
03-04-2006, 10:54 AM
Um,as far as I know two flags can be placed on one space. Oneinherent, and one normal. At least, there shouldn't be anything that prevents that from happening (though keep in mind that in most cases the normal flag will get priority over the inherent one.)

Mr. Z
03-04-2006, 11:21 AM
Another thing:
When the "Solid Blocks" rule is on, you can't push blocks on solid combos that have a "Block Hole" flag on them.
But if you turn that rule off, you can push blocks over each other. So there isn't really a way to push blocks in any kind of combo besides any warp type.

The solution would be: Making it possible to push blocks on a combo, no matter if it's solid or not" that has a "Block Hole" flag on it.

idontknow
03-04-2006, 02:55 PM
^That is odd, perhaps have a 'push block only' combo type which makes it so Link can't walk over it but you can push blocks onto it.

Also, a couple more suggestions:

1) A "Block Hole Trigger" flag: Acts like a "Block Trigger" flag in that you must push a block onto every single one of these spaces, and yet each time you do so, the combo changes to the next combo independently. This would make for some interesting puzzles.

2) A "Step->Next (All Trigger): A combo that after you step on it, changes to the next combo in the combo list but also all of these must be stepped on in order to trigger the secrets in the room. Also good for puzzles.

Mr. Z
03-04-2006, 03:08 PM
^That is odd, perhaps have a 'push block only' combo type which makes it so Link can't walk over it but you can push blocks onto it.

But what about water? And Hookshot Over? Pushing a block in water would be great for water-themed dungeons.

-Burn activates on contact rule.
This way burning flags will activate when your flame touches it, rather than burns out on it.

-Oh, and here's one that has been suggested for ages: The infamous Arrow Blocking combo. ;)

OMEG
03-05-2006, 02:11 AM
Some self-explanitory screen flags: "Enemies do 1/2 damage", "Enemies do 2x damage" and "Enemies do 3x damage".

Screen flag "Destroyable boulders" - makes falling boulders destroyable with one hit of any weapon besides Boomerang or Hookshot.

Screen flag "Lead enemy invincible" - gives the lead enemy endless HP.

Screen flag "Lead enemy starts straight down" would compliment the following normal flags:

"Move Down" (and "Move Up", etc) changes the lead enemy's direction once it's fully on the tile.

Rules:

"Jumping Flames" - if one enemy is on fire and touches a burn flag or another enemy, the fire goes to them.

"Flame Trails" - on-fire targets leave behind firey trails that light other things on fire.

"Peahats stop often" - makes the chance of peahats stopping much larger.

Jigglysaint
03-05-2006, 02:25 AM
Here's a suggestion: How about we sort the rules into different catagories instead of them all being on different pages? For example, you can put all the animation fixes in one catagory, and place quest upgrade(like 24 hearts) into another. Sure, right now you may find that some will be overflowing while others might have 2 or 3, but in the end it will make it easier to go searching for, and it might also inspire some more suggestions, as then it will be easy to see what has, and hasn't been added.

Oh yeah, and I still want to see button activated warps, although with autowarps, it could be possible to do that. Think, if you have 2 slashable tiles, each with a different warp underneith, you could have the text say "Press down and A for Yes, Up and A for No" or somthing like that. Still, a choice combo that lets you choose between warp A and B is a good idea.

ShadowTiger
03-05-2006, 09:54 AM
Screen flag "Lead enemy invincible" - gives the lead enemy endless HP.Perhaps another screen flag where it'd be the second enemy which is invincible? =/ (Since they're top of the rung, and are never replaced by any enemies higher than it.) ... Hell, maybe not even a screenflag. Just make it a checkbox next to the enemy.

Sir_Johnamus
03-05-2006, 10:56 AM
^Good idea.

Another idea that has been suggested before:
Using up that empty space by "etc." with midi controls or something.

Questions
03-05-2006, 08:04 PM
Allow us to change the Triforce Retiweval MIDI.

punkonjunk1024
03-06-2006, 12:48 AM
Good call.

WTF why has no one suggested this a bazillion times?

MORE THAN ONE ITEM PER SCREEN.

That would be great, and I can't imagine it'd be too difficult to code.

Also, with that - Grouped enemies. Like "Group 1" would trigger one secret combo, group 2 would trigger another, ect.

And how about bigger screens, while we're at it? I can imagine that'd be a bitch to implement, though. I mean like, more tiles per screen.

Nicholas Steel
03-06-2006, 12:57 AM
they could increase the native resoloution and keep tiles the same size... this would mean more tiles per screen.

Freedom
03-06-2006, 01:05 AM
MORE THAN ONE ITEM PER SCREEN.

The room reset feature Jman added I think in beta 5 with some playing I think you can make it happen.

idontknow
03-06-2006, 01:43 AM
How about gettin' those Enemy Contest winners implemented?

Rakki
03-06-2006, 04:58 AM
Um,as far as I know two flags can be placed on one space. Oneinherent, and one normal. At least, there shouldn't be anything that prevents that from happening (though keep in mind that in most cases the normal flag will get priority over the inherent one.)
Well maybe this is just a bug then, but when I set an inherent flag to a combo, and then placed it on the screen, and hit the F button, it showed a flag over the combo I just placed, as if I had placed a flag on it too. Then that flag disappeared when I placed a flag from the flags menu on that space. I'm not sure if the effect of it disappeared, though. I'll test tomorrow to see if that is a visual bug, that the inherent flags show up on screen when you press F.

How about gettin' those Enemy Contest winners implemented?
How about choosing finalists and winners for the Create-a-Combo Contest? :p

Mr. Z
03-06-2006, 10:40 AM
-Strings that you can walk under if there is no guy on the screen. (So no Guy and their poofs + sound are needed either)

-Screen specific midis.
It would work best if the dmap's midi just changes to the new music until you either die or reset.

Here's a big one: -Description popups.
You know, when you hover the mouse over something a little description appears. That might take forever to make though, heh.

Freedom
03-06-2006, 10:53 AM
I'd still like to see some screen specific sound effects (like the sea sound) that can be added to the sfx.dat and selected on a per screen basis.

I know you can view the whole map while in zquest, but can you take a snapshot of it while in zquest?

ShadowTiger
03-07-2006, 10:36 AM
I'd still like to see some screen specific sound effects (like the sea sound) that can be added to the sfx.dat and selected on a per screen basis.Agreed, a thousandfold. This could be so useful, particularly if we can reduce the quality of the MP3 to make it smaller, then change it into a .wav ... ... some MP3's have really great mood themes in them.

I know you can view the whole map while in zquest, but can you take a snapshot of it while in zquest?This is just a theory, so nobody bite my neck off if I'm wrong, ... but maybe we can do it if ZQuest is Windowed. If you minimize EVERYTHING, and take ZQuest out of fullscreen mode via the etc-->Fullscreen option, you can click on the background (On your desktop.) to take ZQuest out of focus, but still keep it on the screen, visible, .. then press the Printscreen key, and paste that into Paint. I think it might work. :shrug: Works when taking ZQuest Interface shots. > >.' But I don't think that'll preserve the palette though. =/

Freedom
03-07-2006, 12:18 PM
I tried the print screen thing a day or two before I ask about it, It didn't work.
The shot that I got was dinky and was jiberish when I enlarged it.
sure do miss the mapmaker. ;)

Stungun
03-07-2006, 07:34 PM
Level 1 Arrow Cheat: Now that true arrows really seems to work... Press "a" to refill your arrows coffer. A temporary fix would be making "bombs" refill your arrows.

Screen-Specific Tracker Music: Hey, might be possible. Could be harder, though, and a bit straining on the filesize...but it COULD be possible.

Allow switching of ZC from fullscreen to windowed ingame: Like in ZQ.

Last but not least we need a place for an arrow indicator on the non-Z3 subscreens.

Rakki
03-07-2006, 11:35 PM
I've got a suggestion for inherent flags.

Before pressing F:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/Rakki/ZC/comboflags1.png
After pressing F, Possibility 1:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/Rakki/ZC/comboflags2.png
Possibility 2 (My favorite):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/Rakki/ZC/comboflags3.png
Possibility 3:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/Rakki/ZC/comboflags4.png
Possibility 4:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/Rakki/ZC/comboflags5.png

Any one of these would help us know what tiles already have inherent flags attached to them, although I think either possibility 2 or 4 would be the best. In any case, the currently selected combo wouldn't change to show a flag so that we would know which combo we're currently placing.

Nicholas Steel
03-07-2006, 11:57 PM
thats a good idea... maybe make them blink aswell from what they look like to the flag.

punkonjunk1024
03-07-2006, 11:57 PM
Screen-Specific Tracker Music: Hey, might be possible. Could be harder, though, and a bit straining on the filesize...but it COULD be possible.
I'm pretty sure we used to have that.

OH yeah, heres another one - Ability to NOT embed Tmusic into a quest. Soooo... if you choose to use like 12 mp3's as dungeon music or whatever, it could be an optional download with the quest, with MIDI format music as a backup, embedded in the quest.

Nicholas Steel
03-08-2006, 12:09 AM
i thought that midi was the only format embedded? and that other music always was optional to include.

firefly
03-08-2006, 12:15 AM
If there's an option for "Individual Screen Midi" then why don't we have an "Individual Screen (Dmap) Title"?

If this gets implemented, it could reduce the DMap usage.

For example: you want to make a Great Fairy in the overworld, you want the screen have its own MIDI and Title, you should normally use a Dmap for only this screen, and you must also set the side warp for both screens, With this option, you could only need to press F9 and select the Screen MIDI and The Screen Title and it could be a lot easier. :googly:

Nicholas Steel
03-08-2006, 12:31 AM
thats an awesome suggestion firefly.

OH yeah, heres another one - Ability to NOT embed Tmusic into a quest. Soooo... if you choose to use like 12 mp3's as dungeon music or whatever, it could be an optional download with the quest, with MIDI format music as a backup, embedded in the quest.

this would be of so much more use then screen specific midi... this could go for firefly's suggestion aswell. (instead of setting it for the screen it changes it for the current dmap... thus you can change the music/title at will with much more ease.)

firefly
03-08-2006, 09:58 PM
I know this may sound stupid, but:

Screen Specific Level Pallete:
Screen specific MIDI, Screen Specific Title and Screen Specific Level Pallete could reduce the Dmaps usage, making easier to make single rooms with a different pallete/title/midi and for avoid using many Side Warps...

Nicholas Steel
03-08-2006, 10:04 PM
dont ever have screen specific stuff... instead have it so that the change affects the current dmap till you come to another screen that changes it again.

eg:

you specify on a screen when you want the change to occur and then that change stays in effect till you come across another screen that changes it again... this to me is very useful.

these options also only affect curent dmap (unless you make it so you can also specify which dmap the changes apply to)

Nicholas Steel
03-08-2006, 10:09 PM
no way to delete me.... arrrrrgh.

Questwizard88
03-08-2006, 10:33 PM
dont ever have screen specific stuff... instead have it so that the change affects the current dmap till you come to another screen that changes it again.

eg:

you specify on a screen when you want the change to occur and then that change stays in effect till you come across another screen that changes it again... this to me is very useful.

these options also only affect curent dmap (unless you make it so you can also specify which dmap the changes apply to)

From what I'm thinking about, you'd have to set a palette on two or more screens just for one screen to change and change back when you leave. Let's say you have a dungeon with a blue palette, but want a yellow room. You'd have to set the blue palette room(s) to change to blue, then set the other room to change to yellow, all for one screen. Doing this the per-screen way, all you'd do is set the screen you want to the yellow palette, and boom, done.

EDIT: Concerning Rakki's inherent flag suggestion, I also like possibility 2 the best.

Nicholas Steel
03-08-2006, 10:53 PM
you are right... maybe make an option to choose between my method and screen specific.

my ways more effecient if you have multiple rooms joined together... however for a single room it isnt the best.