PDA

View Full Version : Zelda Classic 2.11 Beta 8

Dark Nation
03-03-2006, 11:45 AM
Here it is, the long-awaited beta 8. Many bug fixes, many tweaks, many improvements/enhancements. Probably tons of new bugs, too.

If you don't already have it, download and unzip beta 6 first, then download and unzip beta 8 on top of it.

Zelda Classic 2.11 Beta 6 (Full) (http://darknation.armageddongames.net/zc/zc211b6.zip)

Zelda Classic 2.11 Beta 8 (changed files) (http://darknation.armageddongames.net/zc/zc211b8w.zip)

No OS X version yet. Hopefully by early next week.

Here's the bug fix list from beta 6.

ZC crashes on "211testquest" when entering the cheats.
Tiles displayed in the bottom menu are misaligned if they're using the secondary CSet
Some animated tiles using the secondary CSet are buggy (they use different colors)
ZC Windowed does not work.
Allegro.log grows to huge sizes while playing quests.
I tried to use the magic container option in the cheat menu. However, Link was instantly killed upon doing so.
The music turned off for no apparant reason after I did the magic container bug. It came back after I entered and exited the sword cave. However, it might have been from opening the menu during the fade-in.
The Triforce icon appears in dungeons, instead of the automap and dungeon items.
Transparancies are sometimes "permanently" broken when ZQuest is windowed. To fix it, you have to go back to full screen.
When you collect a triforce piece, your items vanish from the display at the top of the screen... forever (maybe). Collecting rupees will not even restore them.
Also, enemies from 1.90 quests are still in the wrong places at times.
There is a BS Subscreen Bug. The text is oddly colored. I noticed this when playing Link's Return to Snortsia Master Quest demo. (Screenshot no longer available)
I have noticed that if you go into the overworld screen map after slashing a bush, ect, the combo will reappear. I also think bomb and candle secret flags don't work anymore, as neither would would work when I tried them. It's possible that many of those flags no longer work.
Using windowed mode and switching tasks causes destabilization. It nearly crashed my system, and then I tried to swt Zquest to a lower process priority - which caused it to become HIGHLY unstable. And then 'generate errors and have to be closed by Windows'. Zquest help has every line break marked with a return icon. And the file is badly in need of an update - it's still for 1.92 beta 182!
When killed, combos on layers still appear in window as it blacks out.
Misalignment with walk square between combo and new "next" box. (#2?)
Alt slide still corrupts tiles.
Link swim tiles still crash
At seemingly random moments, trying to display a level palette in the level palette editor will crash ZQuest. I've been able to reproduce it quite a few times loading Radien's New BS 3.0 1st Quest Remake on startup (reload last opened quest). Sometimes, it will crash even if it is not the quest that loads on startup, though. Regardless, it happens with this quest rather frequently from what I've noticed.
If an enemy drops a clock in a room where the door closes you in and there are wallmasters, they will not show causing you to be trapped and you then have to quit the game.
Tiles or sprites using CSet 2 features will defer to the wrong CSet if used on layers.
Dungeon automaps/items do not activate on the Subscreen. The Triforce display is shown no matter what. On quests made with earlier versions, this may not happen or may even work in reverse, adding a dungeon automap to an Overworld.
It is no longer possible to place an item on a Direct Warp combo in such a way that Link can grab it before getting warped. This breaks several quests.
Opening the Overworld map will instantly trigger any secrets on layers, and reset many combos.
Tile Warping into a room where the south shutter uses cycling combos will cause it to switch to "open" prematurely. This bug can interfere with quest design.
If you quit a quest while on the ladder in ZC, the ladder will appear briefly on the first screen of the next quest you load.
The magic meter is not displayed in regular or BS subscreens, even though magic is still kept track of.
The A and B items vanish when collecting a Triforce piece, as they did on the NES. But in ZC, they don't return if the "cool scrolling" quest rule is in effect. (Because it never bothers to hide/show them, unlike the default NES behavior.)
Attempting to adjust Magic Containers in the cheat menu will instantly kill Link when the game resumes.
Slashing still uses the old collision, sometimes resulting in a miss if Link isn't close enough.
BS Subscreen text (And to a lesser extent, LttP subscreen text) uses the wrong palette entries.
Even if "freeform dungeons" is checked, Link's sword will still be hidden under the sidelines.
Layers are not properly affected when Link dies.
Combos in quests that are loaded on startup (either from the command-line or from the "Reload Last Quest" option) that have their animation speed set to 0 will have their starting tile pointing to the next tile in the tile list.
NPCs have been removed, but they still show up in the sprite list.

jman2050
03-03-2006, 11:57 AM
All the support archive stuff is in the beta 6 link. Download beta 6 then overwrite the folder with the beta 8 stuff and it should be fine.

The bug list above isn't complete, but it should give a general idea. Basically, to sum up a few things, several if not all of the Z3 movement bugs have been fixed. Test it EXTENSIVELY using both collision boxes to make sure it works as it should. Weapon alignment for big link still hasn't been fixed, I'll get to that. Big link in general actually hasn't been touched, so the same rules still apply. LTMs are back in, several new enhancements are in, and things should hopefully work as they should.

Besides that (and I know I forgot several things), enjoy the new beta. We're working hard to provide a stable bug free release while improving every facet of the engine. Oh yeah

DON'T FORGET TO BACK UP YOUR QUEST FILES IN CASE SOMETHING REALLZY REALLY BAD HAPPENS. ALSO, THE SAVE FORMAT WAS CHANGED TO FIX A BUG, SO BETA 6 SAVES WILL NOT WORK!!!

That is all.

Sephiroth
03-03-2006, 12:15 PM
Upon opening ZQuest OR ZC in windowed mode, they both close without any errors or any allegro.log files. Fullscreen is basically the same. Except ZC Crashes upon execution and ZQuest gives me an allegro.log file that says "Unable to find a suitable graphics driver"

Dark Nation
03-03-2006, 12:33 PM
Try downloading again. I recompiled with optimizations turned off and that seems to fix problems that have been reported with beta 8.

Jigglysaint
03-03-2006, 02:51 PM
Slashable combos still re-appear when you go into overworld map mode. I think the enemies don't return flag is still broken.

Stungun
03-03-2006, 04:14 PM
Can someone PLEASE stop this program from taking up 100% of my CPU time? It's very hard to use when it's such a processor hog.

I don't know what causes it, at all, but the main problem is in ZQ and bringing up dialog boxes seems to help.

EDIT: It is also quite bad in the player - The player was stuck at the AG logo, just animating, not responding - all I could do was use CTRL-ALT-DEL to log off, since I couldn't minimize or close ZC in that state. The clock strain was so bad that I couldn't even task switch. ZC really needs a panic button.

Nicholas Steel
03-03-2006, 07:52 PM
Brilliant. goes to show why its been taking you ages to get this out the door. (what with all the fixes and additions)

thank you everyone who made zc what it is 2day and hopefully will be in the future.

Kingboo30
03-03-2006, 07:57 PM
*faints and comes to*

...There's some new enemies? Ah, when 2.11 comes out I'm going to realese my quest in both verisons. (2.11 one with the new features.)
and about flags on tiles....wow. This seems alot better than beta 6.
Also, in the credits section of the LoZ tileset, you forgot Jman.

Jigglysaint
03-03-2006, 08:49 PM
BTW, this release doesn't have any new features.

Nicholas Steel
03-03-2006, 09:12 PM
i hear it has more enemies in it.

DarthDW
03-03-2006, 10:19 PM
I'm not sure if it was in the last Beta or not, but the exit points have changed...

And there's more of them.

SolemnGamer
03-03-2006, 11:52 PM
Hey, cool! Beta 8 is out already! I guess I could consider this a birthday present, 3/4 is my birthday. And today is 3/3.

And another thing: Does diagonal walking only work with games made in this version, or does it work on games played with it?

Rakki
03-04-2006, 12:15 AM
BTW, this release doesn't have any new features.
Umm, wrong? Inherent Flags and Multiple Warps per Screen are both new (they weren't in beta 6, not the public version at least), plus there's a few new enemies, like Goriya 3 and Fire Shooter, and there's 3 new flags, as well as a bunch of new combos.

Jigglysaint
03-04-2006, 12:32 AM
Umm, wrong? Inherent Flags and Multiple Warps per Screen are both new (they weren't in beta 6, not the public version at least), plus there's a few new enemies, like Goriya 3 and Fire Shooter, and there's 3 new flags, as well as a bunch of new combos.

Maybe I should be more specific.

There are no new features in the copy I downloaded! I think I am going to download the new beta again, just in case I accidentially told it not to overwrite stuff.

Edit: What the problem is that the full download is of the wrong beta! You need to download the second one to get the actual beta with all the changes.

cbailey78
03-04-2006, 12:35 AM
How can I make ZQUEST work in fullscreen just like in beta 6?

Rakki
03-04-2006, 01:00 AM
Maybe I should be more specific.

There are no new features in the copy I downloaded! I think I am going to download the new beta again, just in case I accidentially told it not to overwrite stuff.

Edit: What the problem is that the full download is of the wrong beta! You need to download the second one to get the actual beta with all the changes.
Ahh, there you go. :p I'm glad the thread said to overwrite the Beta 6 folder as well, because I was just going to download Beta 8 to a new folder.

And cbailey, ZQuest works fullscreen for me when the fullscreen thing is checked. You could probably also add -fullscreen to the command line.

Sephiroth
03-04-2006, 01:01 AM
Try downloading again. I recompiled with optimizations turned off and that seems to fix problems that have been reported with beta 8.
Nope. Doesn't work. Please fix for I cannot get ZQuest OR Zelda Classic to work on my computer.. o_O

cbailey78
03-04-2006, 01:10 AM
The reason why ZQ won't work in fullscreen is because my laptop video doesn't support 320X240 resolution. The fullscreen in beta 6 worked perfectly! If I try to access ZQ in fullscreen, the window frame blinks a couple of times and it closes without any error messages.

Rakki
03-04-2006, 01:17 AM
Ohhh, that stinks. Well, least you have windowed access, unlike Snort. >_>;

cbailey78
03-04-2006, 01:20 AM
What can I do to make it fullscreen just like in Beta 6? It worked in fullscreen perfectly!

Nicholas Steel
03-04-2006, 01:25 AM
edit the ag.cfg file... this only affects the player and not zquest.

[zeldadx]
resx = 640
resy = 480
sbig = 1

cbailey78
03-04-2006, 01:35 AM
I already got the player working in full screen so that problem was solved! That's a bummer that I can't get ZQ working in Fullscreen like in Beta 6! I wish there was a secret tricky method to make it do the trick to make ZQ work in full screen.

So there is no way to this, huh?

cbailey78
03-04-2006, 02:53 AM
NEVERMIND! :D Sorry to double post, but I got Zquest working in fullscreen! I did the trick myself! What I did is: go to shortcut properties, type in the command line: -scale 2 -fullscreen

Remember to turn off the 640X480 resolution in the compatibility tab and it should work with other people!

System Error
03-04-2006, 05:21 AM
Odd. All or some of the new enemies are causing crashes when you use them on a screen. It doesn't crash until you actually go to said screen. Boulder works fine, but uses the wrong graphics (Octorok graphics are used instead).

idontknow
03-04-2006, 05:48 AM
Questions:
1) What does a "Sensitive Warp" combo do?
2) What does "Use as Save screen (SP)" screen flag do?
3) What's the difference between "Step->Next", "Step->Next (all)", "Step->Next (Copycat)" and "Step->Next (Same)"
4) What does the quest rule "Use Warp Rtn Points Only" do?
5) What does "Direct Sensitive Warp" screen flag do?
6) What does the flag "Block Hole" do?
7) What do the combos "trigger (sens. perm)" and "trigger (sens. temp)" do?
8) What does the "Use Warp Return" Option do in the tile & side warp editors?

Nicholas Steel
03-04-2006, 06:06 AM
idontknow for some answers to your question go to...

http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?t=90377

and look at the 7th post.

Link
03-04-2006, 10:38 AM
What happened to Beta 7, or wasn't there one?

Sir_Johnamus
03-04-2006, 10:53 AM
There was no beta 7 publicly released.

SolemnGamer
03-04-2006, 11:00 AM
Got a question:

What are the "next" parts of the combos for? Does this eliminate the need for an under combo or something?

EDIT: Also, I've only seen two bugs so far. Stalfos in 1st Quest not animating correctly, and fairies traveling at high speeds.

djdarkx
03-04-2006, 08:39 PM
I've only seen two bugs so far. Stalfos in 1st Quest not animating correctly, and fairies traveling at high speeds.

I second that and can add on. The flames in caves (not sure about dungeons) don't animate. Also, using the "Large Link Hit Box" option along with Z3 Movement won't allow you to go into caves using tile#54 or the Cave (Walk Down) tile. It acts as if the entire tile is unwalkable. Since I had to switch back to only Z3 Movement, the whole "acturate pixel" bug which was affecting doors (had to be pixel perfect position), something similar is happening with buying items in stores. I pretty much have to have Link touch the left-edge of the item for him to pick it up.

I must give kudos for "True Arrows". Works beautifully, but is there anyway to make certain enemies drop them? (Anyone thinking Moblins?)

For the fairies, I experienced a fairy with no movement at all, one with fast movement and a regular fairy.

Thanks again for ZC and ZQuest. Beta 8, aside from thos eminor bugs, is great with these new feaures and fixes to the Z3 Movement and the such. Keep up the good work! Laterz~

djDarkX

Sir_Johnamus
03-04-2006, 09:08 PM
"Next" is for combo cycling. For example, you have a plant. You slash it, and then you can make the undercombo cycle back to the first combo. the next combo comes with the combo, but you have to put it there.

punkonjunk1024
03-05-2006, 11:01 AM
you guys are awesome.

Nimono
03-05-2006, 05:37 PM
How does Large Link Hit Box work?