PDA

View Full Version : SOE Sends Penny Arcade 1200 Donuts

Warlock
03-03-2006, 02:20 AM
http://www.penny-arcade.com/2006/03/01

Basically, Penny Arcade made a joke in their comic about SOE and donuts, and SOE sent them 1200 donuts. But the funniest part is this:

Just an update on the 1,200 donuts situation.

A few people have made the comment to me that it was nice of SOE to send us one donut for every subscriber they have. The other funny remark I heard was that this is the best product SOE has ever shipped. You guys are mean.

goKi
03-03-2006, 03:08 AM
Unfortunately SOE failed again, the donuts were not filled with shit.

Darth Marsden
03-03-2006, 02:59 PM
It's things like this that give me renewed faith in humanity.

Grasshopper
03-03-2006, 04:33 PM
I can't believe it. Heh. Thats a pretty funny joke for a company to play on someone. Whether you like them or not, two thumbs for SOE on that one.

AtmaWeapon
03-03-2006, 06:33 PM
I think I missed the original joke or something but I'd sure like 100 dozen donuts I could start getting disability after eating them :)

Cloral
03-03-2006, 08:35 PM
Original joke:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2006/20060301.jpg

Dart Zaidyer
03-03-2006, 08:45 PM
So this is what the players' money goes to. Instead of actually maintaining and improving the game, they're spending it on a thousand donuts. I'd be shocked, if it weren't SoE we were talking about.

Dechipher
03-03-2006, 09:07 PM
So this is what the players' money goes to. Instead of actually maintaining and improving the game, they're spending it on a thousand donuts. I'd be shocked, if it weren't SoE we were talking about.

I doubt that 7k is gonna make much difference....

MottZilla
03-04-2006, 02:55 AM
7K for donuts? I doubt it was that much.

Masamune
03-04-2006, 03:15 AM
Say a donut is like 50 cents. That'd be $600 for said donuts. God damn.

AlexMax
03-04-2006, 12:45 PM

That's pretty much exactly what I thought. They're hemeriging playerbase, and the best thing they can do with their money is buy a ton of doughnuts as a JOKE?

Which crooked, poorly managed gaming company will go under first, Infinium or SoE? Anyone want to place bets?

ZTC
03-04-2006, 01:44 PM
Which crooked, poorly managed gaming company will go under first, Infinium or SoE? Anyone want to place bets?

$10 on SoE

it might be funny, but what a rediclous waste of money :mad:

SeirraMist
03-04-2006, 03:45 PM
Hey, you gotta give them credit for doing it though... not many compaines would have the guts to do something liek that. After going to Krispy Kreme, and watching them pound out so many donuts so quickly, I doubt it was a serious blow to the company. I bet they make about 3000 donutes a day there anyway.

AtmaWeapon
03-04-2006, 04:39 PM
Say a donut is like 50 cents. That'd be $600 for said donuts. God damn.Actually last time I went to Krispy Kreme I think a donut is more like $0.17, much less if you get them by the dozen. I'd also figure there's a fairly nice discount when you order in quantities of 1200.

So the maximum they probably spent, excluding tax, is roughly $240.

Now, surely you guys don't think that SOE's budget is limited to ONLY what they get from subscribers? They are a division of Sony, which means that they probably have a sizable budget to work with and a $240 purchase won't even show up as a rounding error on their monthly budget.

Also, consider how many employees work for the company. Suppose the leader and 12 guys decide they want to participate in the joke. Would you spend $20 out of pocket for a prank that gets national attention for your company?

I sure would.

I mean normally I wouldn't get so upset about people complaining and I agree that SOE is a pretty cruddy company but it's not like this is a prank that took them months to plan and cost them thousands of dollars. They just robbed the company of maybe 10 minutes, and this could have even been done on break time so in theory this didn't waste any of the time they usually spend not working on their games.

*edit* Dang it now I'm fiending for some Krispy Kreme. The nearest one is in Tuscaloosa and I'm not driving 75 miles for a donut. I guess I'll have to hit the local Shipley's for a substitute.

Dechipher
03-05-2006, 12:28 PM
Eh. I checked on the Krispy Kreme site, and they said something along the lines of 7 Pounds for a dozen (I think) so I just kinda did the math.
Even if it was 7k I doubt it would make a difference anyway.

AtmaWeapon
03-05-2006, 09:13 PM
I'm going to Krispy Kreme this weekend and seeing what the prices are like but I did the conversion and 7 pounds ($12 and some change) seems really high. I'm pretty certain the donuts themselves are under a dollar, so having to pay right at a dollar a dozen makes no sense. Maybe you guys value donuts more than Americans or something?

MottZilla
03-06-2006, 02:43 AM
Yes, in the UK, you can use donuts as currency. A good looking whore to give you a blowjob is only 30 donuts.

Darth Marsden
03-06-2006, 05:58 AM
Now now, we have a much more complex method of payment then that. Using a blowjob as our reference...

One Blowjob = 60 donuts 'holes' / 30 plain donuts / 20 jam filled donuts / 15 chocolate covered donuts / 15 sugared donuts / 10 'caramal' covered donuts* / 5 chocolate covered donuts with sprinkles on top

*It's not really caramel, just caramel flavoured icing, but it's yummy all the same.

Grasshopper
03-06-2006, 12:11 PM
You telling me that sprinkles alone account for 10 chocolate covered donuts?